Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Vietnamese Kitchen YEEOWW!

by Linda C » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:26 am

We finally tried the place. I loved the casual atmosphere. The waiters were very helpful and efficient. Monster glasses of water (much needed later) and of course generous helpings. We started with Goi Tom appetizer topped with shrimp flavors, greeen onions and carrots. Different, subtle and flavorful. We had a terrible time choosing entrees. So many choices and every one sounded amazing. My DH kept changing his mind, so honestly I can't pinpoint what he had. It was a mild broth with chiken, shrimp,sprouts and noodles. I tasted it and it was yummy. His did not have an indicator star by the description (spicy) I decided to be bold and ordered from the "traditional" selections and had spicy sour shrimp soup with vegetables. Hey, it had a star in front of it; some dishes had 2 or three stars! On first taste, I was loving the lemongrass and the pungent sweet/sour taste The shrimp were flavorful and plentiful. But after 3 or 4 bites, my lips began to swell and then my tongue began to react. I literally had to stop after a few bites and soak my lips in ice water.
I felt bad leaving so much of it on the table. I'm glad they didn't ask me if something was wrong- I was beet red and perspiring when we left. I will definitely come back. All the food coming out of the kitchen looked great, the prices were reasonable and the staff were nice/efficient. But I'll be more careful on the order!
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:36 am

Some of the best food that we have in the 'ville.
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:50 am

Next time try the catfish or pork in the clay pot. It's delectable. Also, one of my favorite dishes in town the banh xeo, which is a sizzling vietnamese crepe. I prefer to get it with tofu, but the regular version with shrimp is also really tasty. I could seriously go there every time I dine out.
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:58 am

I love the banh xeo, but my go to meal is:
goi cuon
hieu tieu sate (extra hot)
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:48 am

Well, I don't do meat, just seafood. But honestly, they seemed to have a tofu substitute for everything. Really impressed with the place! Wish they'd move to St. Matthews!
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 pm

by christopher stockton » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:46 pm

# 1
"It's crazy good sandwiches"
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:01 pm

I've been singing their praises for a looooong time.

I *love* their chicken curry dishes... I crave them nearly continuously.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 pm

by christopher stockton » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:33 pm

After reading this yesterday I had to go last night.... as usual it was great. I love the hot and sour soup from VK
"It's crazy good sandwiches"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:25 pm

Linda C wrote:Well, I don't do meat, just seafood. But honestly, they seemed to have a tofu substitute for everything. Really impressed with the place! Wish they'd move to St. Matthews!

Suggestion: Try Basa . . . it's on Frankfort, not far from St. Matthews, they have seafood dishes, and the food quality, atmosphere, and flavors are more multi-dimensional than VK. True, it is more "upscale", with the upscale French/Vietnamese influence, but if you need a closer Vietnamese "fix" try it! (and, they can substitute seafood or tofu for most of the meat dishes if you want)
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:30 pm

andrew mellman wrote:and the food quality, atmosphere, and flavors are more multi-dimensional than VK.

Is that good? What is "multi-dimensional" food quaility?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:41 pm

Charles W. wrote:
andrew mellman wrote:and the food quality, atmosphere, and flavors are more multi-dimensional than VK.

Is that good? What is "multi-dimensional" food quaility?

First, I promise in the future to hire an editor to be sure no modifiers are unclear.

But, in another respect:

1. VK has "meat", "pork", etc. Basa has meet ranging from sausages to beef tenderloin (and similar ranges of fish and pork).

2. VK is a neighborhood place. Basa has a nice bar area, and two different dining spaces.

3. The "multi-dimensional flavor" aspect should be self-explanatory.

OK???
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:51 pm

so Basa is like an upscale, slightly modernized version of Vietnamese? I mean, you aren't going to see filet mignon in your authentic pho. Sounds good to me, kind of like an Asiatique for vietnamese cuisine.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:32 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:so Basa is like an upscale, slightly modernized version of Vietnamese? I mean, you aren't going to see filet mignon in your authentic pho. Sounds good to me, kind of like an Asiatique for vietnamese cuisine.

"Fusion" would be a better word, Ron. Think of Slanted Door in San Francisco, or maybe the original concept of Pho Paris in Cincy.

VK remains the king for true, authentic Vietnamese, but Basa is already a favorite for Vietnamese-French-innovative "fusion." It's building a serious following and, by all reports, rarely missteps.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:49 pm

It's on our very short list of places to go! VK is a really long drive for us, but it's definitely worth it. Does anyone have experience with ordering a spicy dish and asking them to tame it a bit? My "new friends" at Thai Taste see my name on the carryout order and always prepare it to perfection now.
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:09 pm

Instead of Pho, you guys are going for Faux !

GG.
Next