Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

1st time Havana Rumba visit tonight!!!

by Rebecca Clark » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:24 pm

Finally!!!

I'm sure the entire menu is delicious, but are there any "must haves"?
no avatar
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:29 pm

Their vegetarian platter rocks my socks.
no avatar
User

Hilary N.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:17 pm

by Hilary N. » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:37 pm

I love the fish dish, and right now I'm drawing a blank on the real name of it. Can anyone else remember? Despite the fact that I can't remember the name, it is really yummy.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:13 pm

Hilary N. wrote:I love the fish dish, and right now I'm drawing a blank on the real name of it. Can anyone else remember? Despite the fact that I can't remember the name, it is really yummy.

Pescado Empanizado (fried grouper) or Cherna a la Parrilla (grilled)?

I like pigmeat, Cubano or otherwise, and both Lechon Asado and Masas de Puerco really ring my chimes. The beef Ropa Vieja is also a Cuban classic.

As someone said, you just can't go wrong at Havana Rumba (or Mojito). Try anything!
no avatar
User

Jennie Mulhall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:22 am

by Jennie Mulhall » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:16 pm

I love, love, love the grilled grouper!
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:50 pm

My faves:
grilled grouper
Ropa Veija
Masa de puerco
no avatar
User

Hilary N.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:17 pm

by Hilary N. » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:04 pm

Cherna a la Parrilla- that's the one. I love it. We don't do the fried food thing b/c of my husband's cholesterol. Yum.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:42 am

Whatever that pressed sandwich they have is with the sweet potato fries, oh man!

I have not been in far too long.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Rebecca Clark

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:57 pm

We came, we ate, we have a complaint ...

by Rebecca Clark » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:52 am

Well, I must say the wait for the delicious food was worth it ... the wait for table service, however, put a huge damper on my opinion of the place.

We had the intentions of enjoying one item from the tapas portion of the menu and then moving onto the entree portion. We never made it past the tapas! We thoroughly enjoyed Pappas Rellenas, Empanadas Vegetarianas, and the delicious Tostones con Pollo. With sides of Congris and Tostones, we were too stuffed to move onto the grouper. The large party next to us had the Havana Bananas, which, in presentation alone, is enough to warrant another visit.

I was a bit disappointed in the Cafe Cubano. I was taught how to make Cuban coffee when I was on a mission trip to Cuba by a very sweet gentleman. Their coffee was an art form ... the sugar froth creamed over the dark roast liquid and the taste was divine. The coffee at HR was just bitter ... no sugar froth and tasted a bit salty. That was my only food disappointment.

The downside of the evening was the service. We were seated around 7:00 p.m. between two large parties - one party, in particular, was very noisy and it was very obvious they had been there since Happy Hour started. They were almost to the point of obnoxious ... right on the border. Conversation, without yelling, was difficult because of the volume of the two parties. Once seated, it took the better portion of 10 minutes before menus or water were brought to our table. I was understanding that our server was having to wait the two large groups, but there were moments when he just stood over by the wall talking to one of the other servers. I tried to catch his eye and let him know we were ready to order, but he never looked at us. I finally asked one of the other wait staff passing by if someone could take our order (we had been there almost twenty minutes by this point). Our server finally came and only took the order ... he didn't tell us of any specials for the evening ... very little communication with us. To be perfectly honest, I felt like the two of us were a huge inconvenience to him. Once we finished our first round of tapas, we had to, once again, get his attention so we could order another round. We had to ask for sweetener for our drinks (twice) and for to-go containers. If I was going to determine whether I would visit again based on service alone, I wouldn't go back. I was highly disappointed after reading so many glowing reviews of HR. Because of the food, I will make a second visit. I can only hope that on Friday evening, our server was just having a bad night. It's a shame, too, because if he had done his job the way it should be done, his tip would have been much greater because the food was divine. The tip I left, which was more generous than our server deserved, should have been directed to the chef, who was the star of the evening.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:07 am

I used to go in the early afternoon, when possible, and the service was always exceptional, very personable and friendly. I've never had a problem getting anything or having to wait.

I fear you were the victim of the two large parties and perhaps a slightly less motivated server.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

Cuban Coffee

by Eliza W » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:56 pm

I've been wondering about the coffee at both Havana Rumba and Mojito. At the Cuban places I've been to in South Florida, it's always made as described here, but here in Louisville it's a lot more like espresso. Unlike the poster, I like Mojito's coffee, but I don't recogize it as the cafe cubano I got at food stands and restaurants in South Florida.

I spoke with a friend who worked on a medical transfer program (now defunct thanks to our enlightened government) in Cuba, and he said that he rarely saw the kind of sweetened coffee I know as Cafe Cubano. I'm getting a different story here, however.

How I wish I could go there myself and dive into the bottom of this mystery. And the lovely beaches of Cuba of course.

Does anyone know who proper, authentic Cafe Cubano is made?
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:51 am

Hilary N. wrote:Cherna a la Parrilla- that's the one. I love it. We don't do the fried food thing b/c of my husband's cholesterol. Yum.

unless they fry the fish in lard, it wouldn't have anymore cholesterol than the grilled version.

There is no cholesterol in vegetable oil, corn oil, soybean oil, olive oil, etc.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:08 am

Ron Johnson wrote:unless they fry the fish in lard, it wouldn't have anymore cholesterol than the grilled version.

There is no cholesterol in vegetable oil, corn oil, soybean oil, olive oil, etc.

FYI, the connection between a high-fat diet and cholesterol is a little more complex than just "avoid foods with high cholesterol." A low-fat diet and exercise is usually an effective one-two punch against cholesterol, and in that context, avoiding fried in favor of grilled is an excellent strategy.

One more time, by the way: Did you get any of my E-mails?
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:24 pm

I did not get emails, but I will check. been having problems with that account.

But, I stand by my position that there is no cholesterol in vegetable oil. :wink:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:39 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I did not get emails, but I will check. been having problems with that account.

Yeah, take a look if you will, or shoot me an E-mail. I need to ask a time-critical question.

But, I stand by my position that there is no cholesterol in vegetable oil. :wink:

As stated, I agree. Eating a lot of non-cholesterol fats can prompt the liver to make and crank out cholesterol, though.
Next