Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

The Depot in Southern Living

no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

The Depot in Southern Living

by Casey J. » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:10 am

Southern Living was in Glendale on Wednesday to do a story about Tony York and The Depot Restaurant. This is 100% worth the drive from Louisville. Tony trained and worked in some of the finest kitchens in the country and came back to his hometown to open a restaurant that stands out for it's quality ingredients, innovative specials, great service and unique surroundings.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:56 pm

I'm not familiar with that restaurant - could you tell us more about it? I did a search, and didn't find much. Do they have a website? Seems our area irestaurants are getting some nice attention from SL!
no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Elizabethtown + Prospect

The Depot in Glendale

by Casey J. » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:41 pm

The Depot is in an old train station. Tony York worked there for many years then went and trained professionally as a chef throughout the country. He came back to Glendale a few years ago, bought the place and made it what it is today. Tony lives through the meals he creates. He uses Amish and locally grown produce, new and innovative specials and a love for food to create a great dining experience. Tony is in his early 40s and has made a name for himself with his fantastic catering, event and wedding planning and daily cuisine. The Depot is on Main St in Glendale, on the left, before the train tracks. If you come from Louisville, take 65 South to the Glendale exit and go to the right. You will see his place as soon as you get to town. There are also a lot of antique shops in the area, if that us your taste. (At The Depot, try the bananas foster) I do not think he has a website.
Last edited by Casey J. on Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:53 pm

Oooh, sounds wonderful!!! And what an amazing career Todd seems to have had at such a young age. Thanks for the info, Casey! Do they only serve dinner, or are they open for breakfast or lunch as well? We will be heading that direction in a couple of weeks, and it sounds like a great place to stop, but it will be earlier in the day.
no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Elizabethtown + Prospect

lunch and dinner

by Casey J. » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:09 pm

Tony is open for lunch and dinner, 7 days a week. I do not think they have breakfast, unless you book it for a meeting or event. The menu has everything from amazing fried green tomatoes and homemade soups to hummus and brie. If you need detailed info. the phone # is 270-369-6000 !!! You will love it. Tell Tony you found out about it on HOTBYTES, he will enjoy that.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:15 pm

I've eaten there once, and I loved it. I can't wait to return one day. Highly recommended.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:22 pm

Kim H wrote:I'm not familiar with that restaurant - could you tell us more about it? I did a search, and didn't find much. Do they have a website? Seems our area irestaurants are getting some nice attention from SL!

Can't help with the Website, but how about a Google map showing directions from Standiford Field, er, Louisville International Airport?

The Whistle Stop, 216 E Main St, Glendale, KY
no avatar
User

Vince Yustas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:38 pm

Brandenburg, KY

by Vince Yustas » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Can't help with the Website, but how about a Google map showing directions from Standiford Field, er, Louisville International Airport?

Robin, I noticed that you Google-mapped the Whistle Stop at 216 E Main, which was the original tourist draw and still may be more widely known (although most of us around here opt for The Depot, which originally got its fame via word of mouth from people who didn't want to wait forever to be seated at The Whistle Stop.)

The Depot is across the street at 201, and If you're coming a distance, they do take reservation, any time, any size, again at 20-369-6000.

As most of the posters have attested to, definitely worth the trip!
Vince Yustas
Brandenburg (nee Paterson, NJ) KY
"Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or the cook."
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Kim H wrote:I'm not familiar with that restaurant - could you tell us more about it? I did a search, and didn't find much. Do they have a website? Seems our area irestaurants are getting some nice attention from SL!

Can't help with the Website, but how about a Google map showing directions from Standiford Field, er, Louisville International Airport?

The Depot is right before you get to the RR tracks. Whistle Stop is on the other side of the tracks. Both good. Number of antique/shops in Glendale. Make it a day trip by going to the shops and on the way to or from,stop at Bernheim Forest on the way to or from Glendale.

Bernheim Forest is a great place. Free during the week, only 5.00 per CAR on weekends. About halfway from Louisville to Glendale at hwy 245.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:34 pm

Vince Yustas wrote:Robin, I noticed that you Google-mapped the Whistle Stop at 216 E Main, which was the original tourist draw and still may be more widely known (although most of us around here opt for The Depot, which originally got its fame via word of mouth from people who didn't want to wait forever to be seated at The Whistle Stop.)

The Depot is across the street at 201, and If you're coming a distance, they do take reservation, any time, any size, again at 20-369-6000.

As most of the posters have attested to, definitely worth the trip!

Vince, thanks! I haven't been down there for years, probably not at all under the current ownership, so I'm due for a trip.
no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Elizabethtown + Prospect

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

by Casey J. » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:07 pm

I got the scoop from Tony. We went there to night for dinner and it was fantastic. He has a website that is under construction http://www.thedepotbistro.com I also found out that he is open for Breakfast, starting at 9AM. He is open 7 days a week for all three meals.
I looked at the breakfast menu and it looked great. While we were there tonight, a lady was getting him to sign her copy of a book. The Depot was featured in a Kentucky dining book and she wanted him to sign the part about him.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Re: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

by Kim H » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:58 pm

Casey J. wrote:I got the scoop from Tony. We went there to night for dinner and it was fantastic. He has a website that is under construction http://www.thedepotbistro.com I also found out that he is open for Breakfast, starting at 9AM. He is open 7 days a week for all three meals.
I looked at the breakfast menu and it looked great. While we were there tonight, a lady was getting him to sign her copy of a book. The Depot was featured in a Kentucky dining book and she wanted him to sign the part about him.

Oh, that's great news! Thanks, Casey! I called them this morning to ask to have a menu faxed. But they don't have a fax machine, and have to have someone run up the street to fax it when they're not too busy, and were going to send it this afternoon. I forgot to look for it later in the day, but it sounds like a plan! We'll be headed in that direction anyway, and we'll make a stop at The Depot. We're not going until the end of the month, but I'll report back and let you know how their breakfast is. Thanks again!
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:20 am

Casey J. wrote:I got the scoop from Tony. We went there to night for dinner and it was fantastic. He has a website that is under construction http://www.thedepotbistro.com I also found out that he is open for Breakfast, starting at 9AM. He is open 7 days a week for all three meals.

I'm guessing that book is Eating Your Way Across Kentucky: 101 Must Places to Eat by Gary P. West. Its publisher is coincidentally the same one that my author friend uses for his Civil War books. It's a pretty hot seller from what I hear.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Elizabethtown + Prospect

by Casey J. » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:13 am

That's the one. Gary is from E-town and graduated from high school with my father. I have been told the book is selling great. Tony, at The Depot, told us that Gary is working on a new book that includes recipes from all of the restaurants featured in"101".
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:34 am

Sounds like another hot book. Cool.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist