Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:28 pm

Weston, FL

Writer Friend looking for a Resource...

by Barb Freda » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:47 am

Robin, delete me if this isn't allowed--

A writer friend who lives in RI is looking for places outside of her stomping ground, fine dining restaurants that have renovated on a budget: Here is her request:

Hey all,

I'm looking for a smaller, fine dining restaurant (maybe two at most) that have remodeled their existing place without a large budget (and lots of do-it-yourself time), and came out with very good results. I've got one in Providence that could work for my story, but I'm looking for a strong example in another part of the country. Would you know anyone?

~~Clare

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Clare Leschin-Hoar
Freelance Writer
(508) 339-0556
c_lesc...@yahoo.com
http://www.leschin-hoar.com
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:37 pm

I did mine without a dime.....then again, I still don't have that dime (guess that is the nature of the beast..)
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Writer Friend looking for a Resource...

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:38 pm

Barb Freda wrote:Robin, delete me if this isn't allowed--

Barb, I'd never delete you! Or even your post. Nothing the matter with this. It's not spammy in any way, shape or form.

I don't know about the budget, but I noticed recently that Cafe Lou Lou did a great job of turning the former MacVitties from a forgettable saloon atmosphere to a bright, open room that carried over a lot of their funky/artsy character from Clifton. Might give Clay or Helen a jingle.

Another possibility, as I recall, the folks at Nios on Baxter had to do an awful lot of renovation from the old Jupiter Cafe/Bazo's and were probably keeping some eye on the budget when they did that.
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:58 pm

bistro new albany

dave did it well
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

Writer friend

by Heather Y » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:59 pm

She suggested Fine dining ?
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:28 pm

Weston, FL

by Barb Freda » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:12 pm

Yes, Heather, she did say white tablecloth.

Dave, I gave her your contact info.

b
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:18 pm

Don't know whether they'd qualify, but Della Fattoria in Petaluma, California, is one of my favorite little places. Fabulous food, beautiful little restaurant, great atmosphere. Their website has pics too of the renovation of their space:

http://www.dellafattoria.com/cafe.html
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:35 pm

The New Albany Bistro jumps out. Actually, something interesting for her is Federal Hill also in New Albany. It is not a white table cloth kind of place but has very, very good Italian/American food AND the couple who owns and operates the place are from Rhode Island. It can be a local RI couple does well in Southern Indiana. This probably isn't what you are looking for but it just struck me. My in-laws are from RI and it's an interesting place.