Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

Gourmet coffee guru Alfred Peet dead at 87

by Matthew Landan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:07 am

Coffee legend Alfred Peet, creator of Peet's Coffee & Tea Inc., a forerunner to Starbucks Corp., has died at his home in Ashland, Oregon, his company said. He was 87.

http://www.reuters.com/article/domestic ... mesticNews
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:01 pm

His coffee kicks Starbuck's ass. Peet's and Sunergos are my two favorite coffee companies closely followed by Gimme!
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:27 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:His coffee kicks Starbuck's ass. Peet's and Sunergos are my two favorite coffee companies closely followed by Gimme!

I recall from a past thread that you and I share a penchant for Major Dickinson's. It's in my coffee crock right now!
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:55 pm

An exemplary coffee.
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

Peet's sell-by-date

by Matthew Landan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:26 pm

Have you ever taken a look at the stale (or sell-by) date on a bag of Peets? It's not there (well it is there, but it's in Julian dated code)...

Why would the company Mr. Peet founded (a true revolutionary, I greatly admire the man) not place a use by date in legible terms on their coffee?

Because the coffee you buy at a mass market store like Whole Foods is generally been sitting there for up to three months (and maybe even longer).

As the ex-coffee buyer at Whole Foods (the only retailer of Peet's here in Louisville) I can let you know for a fact that if you bought from us you were likely often buying semi-stale coffee unless you purchased the same week I would place my three case order of Major Dick. (I only ordered on average every other month from Peets)

Whole Foods coffee policy is a three-month shelf life. As far as I'm concerned anything over three weeks is not really fresh any longer. The beans release most of their CO2 within the first 10 days after roasting, that's prime time for grinding and brewing. As time goes by after that the coffee may still taste 'good', but will it taste great?

Peet's is like all the other mass roasters, such as Green Mtn., Newman's Own (roasted by Green Mtn.) & Allegro. these companies are in it for the bulk sales. They are not in it for the little guy. They roast 100s of LBs at a time and they do it well but then they ship it out and after that it's anything goes. That's retail for you. Cut shrinkage and sell that out-of-date coffee (just don't let the consumer know how out-of-date) it is.

My recommendation is if you love Peet's Major Dick order it directly from them 1 pound at a time and grind it yourself each time you make a pot. Try brewing it with a vacuum pot for the best distillation. French press works well too.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:38 am

I know fresh beans from old beans, and I've never bought a bag of Peet's that was stale. In fact, one of the reasons that I like Peet's is that most stores keep a small inventory and it turns over very fast. The place where I buy it now, is almost always out of Major Dick. A good thing in my opinion.

The freshness factor is the main reason that Sunergos is my other go-to coffee.
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:29 am

Ron Johnson wrote:I know fresh beans from old beans, and I've never bought a bag of Peet's that was stale. In fact, one of the reasons that I like Peet's is that most stores keep a small inventory and it turns over very fast. The place where I buy it now, is almost always out of Major Dick. A good thing in my opinion.

The freshness factor is the main reason that Sunergos is my other go-to coffee.
I think what separates Peets from the other "mass" producers is that they never intended to "go large" I used to go to their Berkeley house and have fond memories of the best coffee on the planet. I am sure that they sell to WFM with the intention of maintaining integrity but, as you know, that is a retailer that doesn't measure up to those standards............
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Peet's sell-by-date

by TP Lowe » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:17 am

Matthew Crow wrote:My recommendation is if you love Peet's Major Dick order it directly from them 1 pound at a time and grind it yourself each time you make a pot. Try brewing it with a vacuum pot for the best distillation. French press works well too.

I've been on their auto-delivery system (three week intervals) for some years and have been uniformly happy with the freshness on arrival ...