Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:40 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:what if you get your desserts made in India. :shock:

I can see it now! Kheer and barfi and gulab jamun at the Oakroom! :P

...you'd be surprised what i have up my sleeves.
I learned a good deal about Indian cuisine over the past few years.

not to mention that I grew up eating Nepalese food as a child. (at least weekly)
(that's comfort food to me - beyond what mom and grandma make)

Kulfi anyone?
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Outsourcing

by Deb Hall » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:43 am

Way back in this thread it was stated:

Having "designer" desserts prepared for a specific restaurant to compliment their style and sense of presentation would seem very important in a four-star environment.

I absolutely agree with this, and I am also one of those people who judges a restaurant based on their desserts ( I always see the dessert menu first before ordering :wink: ). But "outsourcing" does not inherently preclude the above statement. If you are going with Sysco or other distributor desserts, obviously that's in no way the case. But having an outside pastry chef prepare your desserts can be exactly that: designed specifically to compliment the restaurant and their menu IF you get the right outside chef to do them.

Dolce was previously mentioned and is a perfect example (full disclosure: Dolce prepared our desserts at the store) Rachel does desserts for a number of the top restaurants in town, all with very different menus and styles. I know she prides herself in creating desserts specifically for the restaurant they are workin with, and based on some of her business, she does it to great success. My point being, let's not mix the meaning of "outsourcing" with buying from a distributor: they are very different things.

Deb
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Re: Outsourcing

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:03 pm

Deb Hall wrote:My point being, let's not mix the meaning of "outsourcing" with buying from a distributor: they are very different things.

Deb

Ah, brevity. I agree with that statement 100%. Thank you, Deb.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:11 pm

Ed,

That one made me laugh.

As my husband can attest (and probably you too after tommorrow night), few have ever accused me of being brief in my conversations....:lol:

See you tommorrow,
Deb
Previous