Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Bowling Green buffet review...

by TP Lowe » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Brian Jennings wrote:As someone new to the forum making a first time post, I am happy to be commenting on a thread where I may have some insight.

Welcome, Brian.

I am a former BG resident (until age 29), and look at the Daily News online every day (geez, I wish they could put a little more content online, but that's another issue). I sent Robin the link to that review yesterday morning because I thought the headline was such a hoot. By no means did I think it would make Bowling Green look bad or unsophisticated, and I appreciate the tenor of the responses so for ("homespun" not being too vicious).

Regardless, you'll fine this a generally happy group of foodies!
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:50 am

I have a place in Wichita Falls that my Mom and I frequent. When I see something that is dried out or just scary looking I tell the owner/chefs wife and she heads for the kitchen to fix it.

Sounds like there was no one in charge that day or the just did not care.
I find it unusual to see this at chinese buffet. They are usually more diligent.

:cry:
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Bowling Green restaurant reviews...

by Gary Michael » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:03 pm

As af former Bowling Green resident I was stunned to find the local newspaper even needed a food critic. There was nothing to critique when I lived there in the 1970's. But the town has turned into an interersting restaurant town... tons of ch-ch-chains, and locally owned Vietnamese, Japanese, Indian, Mexican, Greek, tex-mex, Bosnian etc.

I have read every review the BG paper has published, and while Robin kindly referred to this one as "homespun" I would substitute "ameteurish".
I suspect that the critic is a young WKU journalism major with a couple of years waitressing under her belt who uses the internet to fill in the gaps in her food knowlege. That said, it is good to hear that BG's dining scene offers a hell of a lot more options than in my day, when it was Wan's on the square for Chinese, Branding Iron for steak, Mary's on the by-pass for comfort food, Ron's for pizza and Carmen's for lasagna.
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

Re: Bowling Green restaurant reviews...

by James Paul » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:21 am

Gary Michael wrote:As af former Bowling Green resident I was stunned to find the local newspaper even needed a food critic. There was nothing to critique when I lived there in the 1970's. But the town has turned into an interersting restaurant town... tons of ch-ch-chains, and locally owned Vietnamese, Japanese, Indian, Mexican, Greek, tex-mex, Bosnian etc.

I have read every review the BG paper has published, and while Robin kindly referred to this one as "homespun" I would substitute "ameteurish".
I suspect that the critic is a young WKU journalism major with a couple of years waitressing under her belt who uses the internet to fill in the gaps in her food knowlege. That said, it is good to hear that BG's dining scene offers a hell of a lot more options than in my day, when it was Wan's on the square for Chinese, Branding Iron for steak, Mary's on the by-pass for comfort food, Ron's for pizza and Carmen's for lasagna.

Gary we just had a discussion in here about Mary's, I think with TP Lowe.
It was a great place I have a picture of her on the line about to ask:

What's your's ?

:wink:
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:05 am

I'm sorry, but I just can't stomach Chinese food anymore. It all tastes the same to me. Not to mention, I leave with a stomach ache. I love Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese, but for some reason cannot find a decent Chinese restaurant. Of course I enjoy the places that seem to have more of an asian-inspired menu, like Asiatique and August Moon (Yummy and yummy!). I guess it's the cheap, fast places that have failed me, which is a shame, b/c these are the places I would frequent most often. Any recommendations?
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:12 am

Beth K. wrote:I'm sorry, but I just can't stomach Chinese food anymore. It all tastes the same to me. Not to mention, I leave with a stomach ache. I love Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese, but for some reason cannot find a decent Chinese restaurant. Of course I enjoy the places that seem to have more of an asian-inspired menu, like Asiatique and August Moon (Yummy and yummy!). I guess it's the cheap, fast places that have failed me, which is a shame, b/c these are the places I would frequent most often. Any recommendations?

Yes, I prefer "Asian-inspired" Chinese food too. :shock:
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:40 am

Ha, ha - you got me on that one! I guess what I meant was a more generic Asian menu than a strictly Chinese one. Does that make sense?
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:58 am

Beth K. wrote:I'm sorry, but I just can't stomach Chinese food anymore. It all tastes the same to me. Not to mention, I leave with a stomach ache. I love Thai, Vietnamese and Japanese, but for some reason cannot find a decent Chinese restaurant. Of course I enjoy the places that seem to have more of an asian-inspired menu, like Asiatique and August Moon (Yummy and yummy!). I guess it's the cheap, fast places that have failed me, which is a shame, b/c these are the places I would frequent most often. Any recommendations?

Oriental House, and order off the Chinese Menu. It's not cheap like the standard chinese fast food places, but it's pretty reasonably priced, and I've yet to have anyone be disappointed with it.

And Jade Palace for Dim Sum, hands down my favorite weekend lunch spot. The wife and I regularly eat there for about $16 before tip. Just talking about it makes me want some right now. Har gow, turnip cake, and gai lan please! geez, and I just ate lunch too....
no avatar
User

looi

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 pm

by looi » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:07 pm

Thank you Beth K. for the high remarks on both Asiatique and August Moon. My philosophy has always been that 'there is no bad food/cuisine, just bad execution'.

Food is my passion and I have had some great and inedible food at the same token. You pay for what you get. Some of the establishments do tend to compete in the market with quantity and quality suffers. Nevertheless, there is a market for 'food by the pound' instead of tasty dishes. Certain Asian foods do not belong on the buffet table for long. Had sushi on conveyor belt?

Recently I had the honor to judge at the Culiniare Malaysia 2007 and had some wonderful Asian cuisines. These dishes were made with passion and quality ingredients.

I am glad foodies out there appreciate the difference between quality and quantity.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:28 pm

Beth K. wrote:Ha, ha - you got me on that one! I guess what I meant was a more generic Asian menu than a strictly Chinese one. Does that make sense?

yes, I was just kidding. August Moon certainly has the influence of other Asian cuisines than just traditional cantonese or sezchuan Chinese.
User

Craig Foster

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:16 am

by Craig Foster » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Deb Hall wrote:Are you serious that the frozen cooked hamburgers are good?

I'm with you, Deb. I love to cook, and rarely if ever buy prepared foods. But in this case, I just went with the flow for laughs. ;)

While it's not gourmet food by any stretch of the imagination, they are a good alternative when you have a busy evening and 5 minutes at the house.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:29 pm

Craig Foster wrote:While it's not gourmet food by any stretch of the imagination, they are a good alternative when you have a busy evening and 5 minutes at the house.

Point noted and respectfully received, Craig. No offense meant, and I hope none taken!
Previous