Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

New sushi bars

User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

New sushi bars

by carla griffin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:53 am

A family member is having a birthday and has specified sushi to celebrate,
What/where are the NEW sushi bars that have opened recently?
We're familiar with the "always great" like Sapporro, Sakura Blue, Tokyo, Shogun (and we miss Edoya) but what's opened up in the last say, 6 months? I read here about the new one out 42 near the Prospect Kroger; are there any others?
:?:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: New sushi bars

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:43 am

carla griffin wrote:A family member is having a birthday and has specified sushi to celebrate,
What/where are the NEW sushi bars that have opened recently?
We're familiar with the "always great" like Sapporro, Sakura Blue, Tokyo, Shogun (and we miss Edoya) but what's opened up in the last say, 6 months? I read here about the new one out 42 near the Prospect Kroger; are there any others?
:?:

Carla, a couple of years ago we went through a period with no new sushi bar openings, but that seems to have abated. Hanabi, the one out in Prospect, is the first new operation I've heard of for a while. Don't forget Caviar and Raw downtown, although for similar-only-different reasons, I don't really rate either of those at the very top.
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

Not new, but....

by Carolyne Davis » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:53 am

What about Maido? Frankfort Ave by the old Cafe Lou Lou location. Always excellent.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Not new, but....

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:11 am

Carolyne Davis wrote:What about Maido? Frankfort Ave by the old Cafe Lou Lou location. Always excellent.

I love Maido! It's one of my favorites. It's not new, though (if we're responding to the last post about new sushi spots). Also, for precision, it's not a sushi bar - it's an Osaka-style sarariman joint that just happens to have sushi ... and a great sake and beer list. I need to get back to Maido Real Soon.
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:26 am

If you haven't been to Maido yet, then it's new to you! I am a big fan of the Buike-Monster! I start with a Duvel, a Rogue Soba beer, or some sake, and then finish with their little green tea and mango ice cream scoops. Yum. McChouffe on draft, too!
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:37 am

Jeremy Markle wrote:If you haven't been to Maido yet, then it's new to you! I am a big fan of the Buike-Monster! I start with a Duvel, a Rogue Soba beer, or some sake, and then finish with their little green tea and mango ice cream scoops. Yum. McChouffe on draft, too!

Granted, though the OP did define the query of new by saying sushi bars that have opened recently.

Maido, while fantastic, isn't either. :P
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:54 am

Just FYI...
We opted for Hanabi. It was the only other new sushi bar that we hadn't visited other than Raw. Hanabi was closer to us.
I guess on a scale of 1 - 10 we would give it a 6 or 7.
As you enter the interior looks like any one of a zillion sushi bars you might visit, maybe even a bit sterile. Very disappointing ambiance wise. The fish was beautiful and fresh so they got the most important consideration right. We sat at the sushi bar and started with appetizers of fried oysters (a bit greasy and of couple of them tasted 'strong' but other than that OK.) and a beautiful cocktail glass presentation of crab, pickled cucumber and flying fish roe that was tasty and pretty.
We then had some...

Unagi sashimi - good eel, not too fatty,
Ikura - Excellent salmon roe with a good crisp "pop" to the eggs.
Futo Maki roll - avocado, asparagus, sprouts, cucumber, Japanese
pickles, egg and crab. Pretty but just OK.
Fantasia Roll - shrimp tempura, avocado, cucumber, topped with fresh
tuna, fresh salmon and flying fish roe. This rocked!
Definitely the high point of the meal.

The sushi chef was very friendly, chatty and quite likable which , for us, always adds a positive note to the experience. The staff that supplied support service seemed bored to be there. The menu was HUGE. I've never seen such a selection in a Japanese restaurant. I bet it gets pared down a bit as time goes by. I can't see a restaurant way out in Prospect carrying that kind of inventory. Given the large selection of menu items we will return again. Honestly I think the disappointments were mostly in what we ordered as opposed to the restaurants execution so they deserve another chance.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:03 pm

I ate at Kansai on Veteran's Parkway in Clarksville last night and the Sushi was excellent. The chef spoke clearly was light hearted and great with even kids, which isn't always the case. If you travel over to Southern Indiana I would say you should give it a shot.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by carla griffin » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:45 pm

That will be the next one I visit. Thanks for the info.
Carla