Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

chinatown chinese restaurant 4000 dutchmans lane??r

by John Hagan » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:22 pm

Had read some good things about this place and decided to take a drive over there to check it out. Looks like it burned down. The phone numbers been disconnected as well. Did they relocate or close up for good?
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:04 pm

It was my go-to for chinese take-out and/or buffet when I lived in the area, and I was sad to see it closed. I'm not sure why they vacated - I didn't think it looked like it had been a fire, just looked more to me like they closed (for whatever reason) and the building owners were renovating it.

They have/had several other restaurants in town... one was on Preston, but that location long since sold to someone else and is operated under a different name. Not really sure if they have any remaining locations in town or if they just moved shop.

It's not often that I get the craving for a chinese buffet anymore, but when I do I'm gonna need to find someplace else...
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:36 pm

The thing I remember most about that place was ROACHES!! I went 2 different times and came upon the critters both times. I mentioned the fact to the employees, but they did not seem too concerned.

I never went back.........
BShep
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:56 am

Interesting... never saw a single one in many years of eatting there. Pretty sure they rarely had anything below an A health rating when I lived in the area. Too bad the restaurant inspection lists online don't go back that far.
User

Mike M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:45 am

Jeffersonville

by Mike M » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:46 pm

Is the place in question "China Town Buffet"? If so in my eight years of restaurant delivery, this place is without question the dirtiest, most unsanitary kitchen I have ever been in. Not trying to flame them, but I'm honestly surprised nobody died from eating there.
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Hagan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:51 pm

No the real name was Chinatown Chinese Restaurant. I believe that Robin Garr had given this place a really good review, as well as some others that I had read. From what I remember reading they had "real" chinese food on the buffet.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:15 pm

Robin's Review\

He did rate it highly for a buffet, I think largely for the seafood buffet they had on the weekends.

Maybe it got dirty after I moved out of the area. It's been a rather long time since I was there. But at one time it was really great. Better than a chinese buffet deserved to be, really.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Aaron Newton wrote:Robin's Review\

He did rate it highly for a buffet, I think largely for the seafood buffet they had on the weekends.

Maybe it got dirty after I moved out of the area. It's been a rather long time since I was there. But at one time it was really great. Better than a chinese buffet deserved to be, really.

It was a long time since that review, too. That's the biggest problem with archiving reviews online ... time flies while you're having fun, and chefs move on and management changes and quality goes up and down.

Originally, Chinatown was one of the first Chinese buffets to hit town - possibly it <i>was</i> the first. And there's been a lot of dumbing down since that review was written.
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

by John Hagan » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:06 pm

Not to go to off topic , but is there any agreement on who has the best,meaning some real chinese style dishes, buffet in the area. I know buffet does not lend itself to quality. I must admit though that on occasion a buffet is a nice gulity pleasure. We have checked out a few that claim to be the biggest and were reaffirmed that biggest is not best.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:18 pm

My kids used to love Chinatown. They begged to go weekly and we did for years. However, to say it deteriorated is putting it mildly. The bathrooms were disgusting. The food changed....for instance, in the mixed seafood dish, they started using the salad shrimp and the fake crab in great quantities. They took the tofu dishes off the buffet. We thought that it wasn't worth the money when there were other good options available.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:21 pm

John Hagan wrote:Not to go to off topic , but is there any agreement on who has the best,meaning some real chinese style dishes, buffet in the area. I know buffet does not lend itself to quality. I must admit though that on occasion a buffet is a nice gulity pleasure. We have checked out a few that claim to be the biggest and were reaffirmed that biggest is not best.

I don't know about "real Chinese" dishes, but the Royal Garden buffet, in Fern Creek behind the Ryans (gag a maggot) is the best I have been to. Sometimes they have even had chicken feet. Service and food is good.

If you want "real" Chinese, go to the Oriental House on Shelbyville Rd and order off the authentic menu (not a buffet).
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Aaron Newton » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:35 pm

Steve Shade wrote:
If you want "real" Chinese, go to the Oriental House on Shelbyville Rd and order off the authentic menu (not a buffet).

Oriental House, with the occasional Jade Palace for Dim Sum on a weekend afternoon, is the biggest reason I rarely get the Chinese buffet craving anymore.

Every once in a while though... :oops: