Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Prospect Japanese/Sushi Restaurant

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:39 pm

Was shopping yesterday, and saw it is open. Has anyone been there yet? It was definitely crowded last night (from driving by with my groceries).

(I'm talking about shopping center off Brownsboro Rd/rte 42 with Kroger, Kroger wines, Bristol, etc., and the restaurant is two doors down from the Bristol)
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Prospect Japanese/Sushi Restaurant

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:24 pm

andrew mellman wrote:Was shopping yesterday, and saw it is open. Has anyone been there yet? It was definitely crowded last night (from driving by with my groceries).

(I'm talking about shopping center off Brownsboro Rd/rte 42 with Kroger, Kroger wines, Bristol, etc., and the restaurant is two doors down from the Bristol)

It was to be called Hanabi Japanese, and I had thought it was to open in September. Beyond that, I know nuffink, but that may fill in a space or two.
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Great sushi, service not so, but nice

by Sherrie G » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:21 pm

My husband and I went recently. The sushi was very good. The service needed a lot more practice. There seemed to be a lot of confusion... the servers would come out with a plate and try to deliver to a number of tables, as the first table would say they didn't order it. Similar situation happened to us, they tried to deliver something we didn't order and in reality it belonged to another table.

Service was slow, but perhaps only because they had to track down what food belonged to what table too often. My husband isn't adept at chopsticks and asked for forks, which arrived well after the salad. And he was out of soda for a while.

I will definitely go again because the food was good. And everyone was trying. I'm certain (or at least I'm hoping) the service mix-ups were due to having just opened up. If you want to minimize the mixups, maybe you could try sitting at the sushi bar.

As we left, the hostess (and owner I'm guessing) gave us two sets of lovely chopsticks. She said they had opened up the Tuesday of the week before. The place was busy and I expect it will get more so. I'm glad to have tasty sushi so close.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:45 pm

What other items are on the menu besides sushi, Sherri?
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

by Sherrie G » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:59 pm

What other items are on the menu, you ask? Sure, Ed. Ask the difficult question. :)

Honestly, I only looked at the menu for a salad. They have the typical seaweed, cucumber or house salads. I don't know why I even bothered with the menu. I had my heart set on ginger dressing so I had to go with the house salad. Once I decided that, I shut the menu. The salad was just as you get (and just as good as) at Sapporo.

We ordered shrimp tempura. Although the batter on the tempura wasn't as light as you get at Sapporo, it was still good. I requested dipping sauce for it, since it didn't come with it (just an oversight on the server's part, I'm guessing). The dipping sauce had a smoky flavor. I'm a picky eater and not a fan of anything smoked, so I didn't care for it.

We got a Spicy Tuna Roll, California Roll, and one other that I can't recall (I think it had crab, shrimp and mango). My husband also got his usual tuna sashimi. Every thing was very good.

Sadly, I am a wimp when it comes to spicy foods... I think too much black pepper is spicy! So I although I enjoyed the Spicy Tuna Roll, I could only eat three pieces and my tongue was burning (but that's not saying much).

So, Ed, here's your answer: I didn't look at the menu. I haven't had sushi in a while and that was all I was planning on ordering.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:50 am

Thanks, Sherrie!

Didn't mean to put you on the spot. I have a friend who reads menus like literature, likening the design, layout and writing as integral to the experience.

I just like to know ifhey have anything that might warrant a visit as I'm not a sushi fan.
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

Re: Great sushi, service not so, but nice

by Jeffrey D. » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:54 pm

[quote="Sherrie G"]My husband and I went recently. The sushi was very good. The service needed a lot more practice. There seemed to be a lot of confusion... the servers would come out with a plate and try to deliver to a number of tables, as the first table would say they didn't order it. Similar situation happened to us, they tried to deliver something we didn't order and in reality it belonged to another table.

Service was slow, but perhaps only because they had to track down what food belonged to what table too often. My husband isn't adept at chopsticks and asked for forks, which arrived well after the salad. And he was out of soda for a while.

I went a couple of weeks ago and had same experience as Sherrie G - good sushi, not great service, confusion, free chopsticks. Will probably go back again, but nothing really memorable yet.
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

by Lori R. » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:50 pm

Just curious if anyone has been to Hanabi recently and if service has improved? Is the sushi and other food items still OK?