Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Good Meatloaf?

no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:34 pm

Genny's Diner has GREAT meatloaf.

And believe it or not, the meatloaf in the deli case at Kroger is (in my opinion) the best meatloaf you can get in this town, besides the one I make from scratch :P
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:43 pm

I learned to make meatloaf from my dad (who is an excellent cook) he would tell his guests how he made it.

"ya put all the ingredients in the bowl, and mix it together," then you shape it like a giant meatball, and beat the hell out of it"

He would bake it in a shallow pyrex dish in the shape of a "boule" all the fat (if there was any), he used ground round, would drain off, and it was beautifully carmelized from the brown sugar, or molasses, he would slice it , and then slice that in half and serve it with mashed potatoes (mom made the best).

The best sandwiches in our house came from left over meat loaf!
Meatloaf on rye with brown mustard.

Now mom would make hers, and we would run (at least I would), she made hers in a loaf, and it would just "sit" in all the fat and was mushy, she would call it juicy. No, I liked the boule better. There are differences in the process and I use the boule shape when I make meatloaf.

When I saw Great Harvest bread loaves for the first time, it reminded me of my dad's meatloaf.

Try it sometime, It comes out pretty good.
no avatar
User

Dan Baumann

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:09 pm

by Dan Baumann » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:59 pm

I think it's interesting that the original poster indicated that she tried Goose Creek's meatloaf and didn't like it, but 2 others recommended Goose Creek!

I have to agree - Goose Creek has a good meatloaf. I think you got it on a bad day, Kim...
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:00 pm

My brother made a great meatloaf but he called it "Portland pate'" :lol:
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Black Angus Meatloaf

by Deb Hall » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:11 pm

We used to carry Black Angus meatloaf made by Tologono. We got raves about it.

The good news is you can still buy it either in the deli case or frozen at several places in town: I believe Doll's, Market on Market and Valu Market carry it, but phone the store to be sure. You can also buy the Black Angus Meatloaf dinner (with Mashed potatoes) at Tologono on Lexington. (only takes 15 minutes top heat it).

Deb
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:34 pm

Heather Y wrote:...The best sandwiches in our house came from left over meat loaf! Meatloaf on rye with brown mustard...

I love leftover (cold) meatloaf on rye and I love brown mustard but NEVER the two shall meet. It's one of the few sandwiches where the only thing that will do is mayo!
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

Mayo

by Heather Y » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:04 pm

To each his own!

Anyone one else have a favorite way to eat leftover meatloaf?
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:25 pm

Anthony Lamas wrote:Goose Creek Diner has some really good comfort dishes. They have meatloaf and a meatloaf sandwich too. The food is really good!

Thanks, Anthony. I wasn't crazy about the meatloaf I had there yesterday, but it seems others recommend it. Could've been an off day, could be a matter of subjective taste - meatloaf would definitely fall in that catagory! We did enjoy the fried chicken that hubby got, and the green beans and white bean and ham soup. Wouldn't rule them out as a dining option for comfort food, just wasn't a fan of the meatloaf, particularly the red gravy.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Re: Goose Creek Diner.......

by Kim H » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:27 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:Has a very good Meat Loaf.......

That's where we went, and I wasn't crazy about it. Seems others here recommend it as well, so I'm not sure if it was an 'off' day, or if it is just not to my liking. I know for certain that the red gravy was way too sweet for me. Do you get it with the red gravy?
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:55 pm

Thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions! I would agree that the best place for great meatloaf is at home, made the way you like it, but this was a sudden craving, and we had no desire to fire up the oven on a hot afternoon, and we were hungry. Anyway, I am keeping a list now from your recommendations. I'll go ahead and post it here:

Sit-Down Restaurants:
Cottage Inn (thought about them!)
Lynn's
Cunningham's
Genny's
KT's
Goose Creek Diner (even tho it wasn't to my taste)

Take-Out:
Tologono's
Nord's Brown Bag
Valu Market
Kroger

Thanks again for all the suggestions, and if anyone has more, keep 'em comin!
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:57 pm

Alanna H wrote:I just made meatloaf for dinner last night and it was awesome. I think the fact that my 7 year old had thirds will confirm that!
I will sat that I'm very leery of ordering meatloaf in a restaurant since there are so many incarnations of it, you never know if you'll like the one you get. But I do enjoy KT's meatloaf and real mashed potatoes, and I think they do a decent job with it.

Yeah, it's one of those American institutions like chili - everyone makes it differently, and we all have our own expectations, so it can be risky! Making it yourself is usually the best way to go, and it sounds like you do it right!
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:58 pm

Dan Baumann wrote:I think it's interesting that the original poster indicated that she tried Goose Creek's meatloaf and didn't like it, but 2 others recommended Goose Creek!

I have to agree - Goose Creek has a good meatloaf. I think you got it on a bad day, Kim...

I'd like to think so, but it could be that it just wasn't to my liking. Do you get it with the red sauce? I found that sauce so sweet that it was almost like a dessert. Perhaps I'd enjoy the meatloaf sandwich more as Anthony suggested, sans red sauce. I will say that we were pleased with their fried chicken, green beans, and white bean and ham soup. It's not a place we where we won't return, I'm just not sure they have the meatloaf I'm looking for.
no avatar
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:51 am

Gary Guss wrote:Ive been going to the Brown Bag ( Nords ) they have something called swiss steak which is actually a meatloaf with red gravy and great mashed potatoes. You need to get there before 11:30 AM this time of year, as U of L's in session to avoid the rush. I love that place, great prices and the folks that run it are great and always smiling. I was in there one day and they had a giant argument over how to pronounce Salmon Croquettes which was quite entertaining. Also have great sandwiches and chicken.

I have to say Nord's is great. Get there early. If you come in the evening you might talk them into getting some out of the walk-in, to go, and warm it up
w/ yeeee haaaa :P >>>when you get home 8)
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Re: Mayo

by Alanna H » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:26 am

Heather Y wrote:To each his own!

Anyone one else have a favorite way to eat leftover meatloaf?

Oh yeah, on fluffy white Rainbo bread with real mayo, salt, and pepper....mmmm...drools...
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:40 pm

Gary Guss wrote:Ive been going to the Brown Bag ( Nords ) they have something called swiss steak which is actually a meatloaf with red gravy and great mashed potatoes. You need to get there before 11:30 AM this time of year, as U of L's in session to avoid the rush. I love that place, great prices and the folks that run it are great and always smiling. I was in there one day and they had a giant argument over how to pronounce Salmon Croquettes which was quite entertaining. Also have great sandwiches and chicken.

GG.

I love Nord's! They actually catered my wedding, and did a fabulous job!
PreviousNext