Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Gumbo a go go

no avatar
User

Jeremy Coker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

Gumbo a go go

by Jeremy Coker » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:01 pm

When they began to Franchise why did they change the name? J. Gumbo is not nearly as catchy and does not give off the same care-free relaxed vibe as Gumbo-a-go-go. Or maybe that's just my opinion?
no avatar
User

Mike Hardin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:24 am

by Mike Hardin » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:23 pm

I saw something about that in another thread. Are ALL the locations changing names?
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

J Gumbo

by Kim H » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:44 pm

All stores are changing their name:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... /701280387
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:59 pm

Probably a trademark issue, Jeremy. Coming up with a catchy name for any business is becoming increasingly difficult. The odds that someone hasn't beaten you to it are very low. Thats why you see some odd company names. Kindred (which I always thought sounded like a horror movie :) ) Atria, etc. A lot of money is spent on a trademark search and the resulting negotiation or litigation.
User

Joe C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Louisville, KY

by Joe C » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:44 pm

This sounds like what happened to Fire Fresh. They were originally Firehouse BBQ but because of a trademark issue - someone already had the name, Firehouse became Fire Fresh. At least the BBQ didn't change.

Joe
Live to Ride, Ride to Eat!
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:13 am

Well.....I think the food has changed a little....I feel that the food was a little better.....Ribs and Pulled Pork...before.....The two that i have gone to is the one in Ferk Creek and the one in Shelbyville, KY near the Wal-Mart. :cry:
User

Peg O'Neill

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:28 pm

by Peg O'Neill » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:36 pm

Eww, yeah. That name is awful. A google search yielded restaurants of the same name in Atlanta, but still!
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

Firefresh changes since they were Firehouse BBQ

by Doug A » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:21 pm

Joe C wrote:This sounds like what happened to Fire Fresh. They were originally Firehouse BBQ but because of a trademark issue - someone already had the name, Firehouse became Fire Fresh. At least the BBQ didn't change.

Joe

Got to go with Robert on this one. There have been some big changes since I began frequenting them. We used to get the Big Bama dinners, which at 21.99 was expensive but a good value for a good product. Last time I ordered what I thought was the Big Bama dinners I got home and found that we had received Regular Bama dinners with 6 average ribs in one dinner and 6 puny ribs in another dinner for 17.99 each. The store at Breckenridge Lane said that I had received the correct order and that the Big Bama dinner had been discontinued.

I wrote a letter at the firefreshbbq.com web site informing them that while I had been a frequent diner there, 16 times over the last year and used them twice for company and personal parties, I felt that what I had received was no longer a good value. Additionally, I also noted, the Big Bama dinner was on the web site menu then and continues to be on the web site menu today. While it appears that they have lowered the price of the Regular Bama dinner I never received a reply.

This was one of my favorite BBQ places, but they are either having growing pains or just flat do not care any more about anything but franchising the operation. Very disappointing, but we're fortunate to have a variety of great BBQ places in Louisville.

Doug
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

J. Gumbo's

by Kim H » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:12 am

At first, I thought Gumbo A-Go-Go sounded kind of silly, and I didn't like the name. But now, it seems to fit the personality of the restaurant. J. Gumbo's sounds too serious, and kind of 'Panera' like. I hope the recipes don't change! I know some have said it is not authentic, but we don't know authentic I guess, and we love it!