Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Goof at Proof on Main

no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Goof at Proof on Main

by Sherrie G » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:59 pm

I used to travel a lot for work (and my husband still does) giving me plenty of opportunities to dine alone. This Thursday I had an opportunity to try Proof on Main for lunch. I was excited to finally have a chance to try them out, as I've only heard great things about them.

Sometime around 12:30 I entered Proof and was immediately seated. Minutes passed and someone hurriedly dropped some bread off at my table. However, I had not been greeted by a server or given any water yet. (Of course it was one of those 90 degree days and I'd been walking around town working up a great thirst.) After close to ten minutes, no one approached my table (or even got close enough for me to get the attention of a server). I got up and returned my menus to the hostess. Although it did not appear to be, I said that they must be very busy as I didn't see a server the whole time I was there. Their initial response was "Really?". I also got a "I'm sorry". And I was quickly out the door on my way to another restaurant.

I know in that instance, I should speak to someone. But at that point I'm embarrassed that I was overlooked. It is one of the few occasions when I feel uncomfortable eating alone. On this day, I hastily retreated to the Bristol where I had my usual delectible Pork Dijonnaise. I sat at the bar (to avoid being ignored again). I got excellent service from both bartenders... my water glass was filled a minimum of four times - and I didn't have to ask.

I'm guessing everyone has at one time or another experienced the same thing. I usually am so irritated (who isn't irritated when their belly is growling?) or embarrassed to say much. But I'm wondering how others have overcome the Invisible Guest situation.
no avatar
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:28 am

You simply get up and go to the drink station and help yourself.

Some one will eventually ask you what is going on, smile widely and head for the kitchen. Tell the first cook you see that you would like to be completely
lunched and ask for suggestions.

Smile widely and go back and sit down...someone will have caught up with you by then.

:wink:
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:50 am

Did you have your invisible suit on that day? :lol:
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:24 am

Sometimes people just honestly drop the ball. When you're dining alone - I do myself quite often - it's tempting to take it as a personal slight. More often than not it's a simple matter of poor communication somewhere along the line. I think the suggestion of helping yourself to water at the station is a good one. You can explain your forwardness when a server finally attends you. Chances are they'll be so embarrassed by the faux pas they'll spend the rest of your lunch trying to show you they can do better.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sherrie G » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:51 am

Brian Curl wrote:Did you have your invisible suit on that day? :lol:

Actually, my invisible suit just happened to be at the cleaners. I was, however, wearing my Wonder Woman suit. Why I didn't think to use my magic lasso and rope me a server is a decision that still haunts me today. :lol:

I like the idea to help myself at the drink station. As I'm being seated in a new (to me) restaurant, I will check out the lay of the land. That way I know right where to go if my invisibility suit happens to be on.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:25 am

I wouldn't take it personally. Sometimes wires get crossed between the hostess and the servers as to who is going to pick up a new table. It shouldn't happen, but it does. But, I walk out of restaurants too. We did it last night when we tried to walk in to a restaurant for dinner and received a very rude remark about having the audacity to come there for dinner without a reservation. We turned and walked out, and I will never go there again under any circumstances. Mistakes are acceptable, poor manners are not.
no avatar
User

Ray W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:30 am

Lyndon

Bizarro World

by Ray W. » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:11 am

Sherrie G wrote:
Brian Curl wrote:Did you have your invisible suit on that day? :lol:

Actually, my invisible suit just happened to be at the cleaners. I was, however, wearing my Wonder Woman suit. Why I didn't think to use my magic lasso and rope me a server is a decision that still haunts me today. :lol:

I like the idea to help myself at the drink station. As I'm being seated in a new (to me) restaurant, I will check out the lay of the land. That way I know right where to go if my invisibility suit happens to be on.

POOF! on Main would also have been a good title for this thread...

Speaking of Wonder Woman...Sherrie, I wonder if you may have received this treatment because you were a lone diner...I seem to recall a thread where a server was dismayed because a couple were "dining alone"...No doubt thinking more about the maximum tip than about providing maximum service...
no avatar
User

Allison Williams

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 02, 2007 10:26 am

Highlands

by Allison Williams » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:11 am

Ron wrote:
I walk out of restaurants too. We did it last night when we tried to walk in to a restaurant for dinner and received a very rude remark about having the audacity to come there for dinner without a reservation.

A pretentious restaurant in our beloved city? I can understand if I was in NYC or Chicago but still never experienced being treated rudely because of no reservation, though I have been told that a restuarant has no table available upon walking in but an invitation was extended to come and visit another evening and if I would like I could go ahead and book a reservation to ensure a table. (that restaurant still got my business that night because we decided to still have drinks at the bar) To me that says we care about our patrons and it makes me feel like my business is important to them.

Sherrie G wrote:

After close to ten minutes, no one approached my table (or even got close enough for me to get the attention of a server). I got up and returned my menus to the hostess. Although it did not appear to be, I said that they must be very busy as I didn't see a server the whole time I was there. Their initial response was "Really?". I also got a "I'm sorry". And I was quickly out the door on my way to another restaurant.

A far as the mistake at Proof, I can almost garauntee that was probably a complete miscommunication. I would have absolutely brought it to someones attention after 5 minutes and they probably would have bent over backwards to take care of you. I have to say I am a little surprised at the response they gave to you but it sounds like you were out the door so quickly they didn't have a chance to rectify the situation and make it right. :D

Management and staff should always be aware of surroundings including body language from other tables and constantly making eye contact. When I patron a restaurant the one thing that I really like is feeling a sense of "calm urgency", eye contact from staff and a smile because that tells me they are aware and making sure their guest are being taken care of for the most part (hopefully), most of the time whether the food was superb or just ordinary if my service was great that is HUGE.
"It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things." ~Leonardo da Vinci
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:45 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:last night when we tried to walk in to a restaurant for dinner and received a very rude remark about having the audacity to come there for dinner without a reservation. We turned and walked out, and I will never go there again under any circumstances. Mistakes are acceptable, poor manners are not.

I hope you were in Northern Kentucky and not Louisville, but if you were here, I hope you'll spill the beans as to which fine institution acted like that ...
no avatar
User

Jeremy B

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu May 10, 2007 11:33 am

by Jeremy B » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:40 pm

Sherrie,

No guest should feel invisible under any circumstances. The nature of our business is to create a warm, welcoming environment and offer guests an opportunity to take advantage of what is the hospitality industry's primary purpose...to take care of you.

I was very discouraged to find that your experience with us fell far from the standards of service that we strive to maintain. You should not feel embarassed for being overlooked. Please allow me that priviledge.

I appreciate your candor on the issue, as well as many of the other observations shared on the topic. The saying about second chances and first impressions certainly rings true; but to anyone that is hesitant about sharing a negative experience with the management, I would encourage you to do so. Too often it is not shared and the opportunity to learn from our mistakes is lost. I consider it a gift anytime a guest gives me that chance.

Should you have the occasion to pass our way again, Sherrie, I would love an opportunity to introduce myself. If we are afforded a second chance from you, I am confident the experience will not compare. You would probably even get to eat! At the very least, I hope you accept my sincerest apologies.
no avatar
User

Sherrie G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Sherrie G » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:06 pm

I appreciate your apology Jeremy. As Alison stated, I was out the door before your staff could even offer to rectify the situation. Since no one is infallible and I don't want to beat a dead horse... I am sure I will venture your way again, probably with hubby in tow, leaving invisible suits and cloaks at home.

And Ray is right... POOF! on Main would have been a more apt title for this thread.

Ron, I understand you don't want to condone rude behavior. Since you "will never go there again under any circumstances" do you believe the hostess' manners (or whoever made the rude remark) were a reflection of management's attitude toward walk-in patrons? If so, as Robin said, spill the beans on the local... my hubby and I rarely make reservations (except for the fine dining establishments). And we wouldn't patronize a restaurant that frowned upon walk-in business.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:10 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:last night when we tried to walk in to a restaurant for dinner and received a very rude remark about having the audacity to come there for dinner without a reservation. We turned and walked out, and I will never go there again under any circumstances. Mistakes are acceptable, poor manners are not.

I hope you were in Northern Kentucky and not Louisville, but if you were here, I hope you'll spill the beans as to which fine institution acted like that ...

Cincinnati. China Gourmet.
no avatar
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:06 am

I'm sure I wasn't the only one that was nervous. Anytime you hear of someone not happy with a restaurants staff, it makes you a little nervous. Hey Ron! shoot me an e-mail, so I can send an invite for the pre opening.
no avatar
User

The Gordo

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue May 01, 2007 7:00 am

Downtown Baby!

by The Gordo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:37 am

It happens everywhere at some point... I suggest talking to yourself in a loud and uncommon manner as to be noticed all over the dining area and then building small structures on the table with whatever smallwares are available.

Setting fire to the linens I can attest is a very bad idea and may even involve the police (Damn you.....Juanita and your terrible food and quickness with the phone!)

On the other hand, Proof must be doing something right on the service side, as they are on the "A" list for tipping me at the Dive.... They got to make it to throw it around like that.
Owner:
Third Street Dive
440 South Third
One Block East of Jerry's 4th Street Beast!

C'mon down...This place is Crazy!
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:29 am

I know we've all said it before but kudos to you RG for this site where dining problems such as these can be recognized and rectified even after the fact. Your forum not only gives a voice to bad experiences but also provides feedback so that restaurants (and ourselves!) can all improve.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost