Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Some Respect for KT's!

no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Some Respect for KT's!

by RonnieD » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:36 pm

The wife and I had a late lunch there today (we were originally going to Mellilo's, but they did not open until 5pm :() and once again KT's delivers! I've never had a bad meal there and it is a go-to restaurant for entertaining guests. The menu is well balanced and the food is always top quality. The atmosphere is laid back and the service generally prompt.

Today we both ordered off the "special" menu (I use "" because both items we ordered are also on the regular menu...). I had the Chicken Spinach Pasta and she had the Fettuccine. Both dishes were exceptional, mine robust and full of delicious tomatoes and spinach, hers mild with tender mushrooms and accented with Parmesan cheese. Both dishes were more than we could eat, though, particularly after a rather generous spinach queso appetizer (remarkably similar to the queso at Ditto's) which sadly left us no room for dessert!

Could not find a post here specifically about KT's, so I thought now was a good time for some big love!

:D
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

James Paul

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:08 am

Seymour, Texas

by James Paul » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:11 am

Come to think of it, I never had a bad experience at K.T.'s :)
Every days a holiday and every meals a feast !
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:54 pm

I've eaten there several times and it's usually always been at lunch time. I don't recall if I've ever been there in the evening. Every time I go there I order their prime rib sandwich which I very much enjoy. My wife likes their chicken artichoke soup and she always gets that. We may be dull but KT's has never been a bad place for us.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:31 pm

John NA wrote:I've eaten there several times and it's usually always been at lunch time. I don't recall if I've ever been there in the evening. Every time I go there I order their prime rib sandwich which I very much enjoy. My wife likes their chicken artichoke soup and she always gets that. We may be dull but KT's has never been a bad place for us.

KT's is hugely popular, and it would be a silly food critic who finds fault with that. People love it. :)

But that being said, I've never reviewed it very positively because I don't see fine dining as its primary goal. It's a big, popular saloon with a kitchen manager, not a chef, who's making food for folks to have with their drinks rather than the other way around. Sort of like a local, independent (which is good) version of a Friday's or O'Charley's.

Or so it seems to me. Anybody want to point out the flaws in my thinking? I'll pay attention, if someone wants to make a case for KT's as a foodie destination.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:49 pm

Not a spot I'd ever pick but go when others want to because it is popular, however, haven't been in several years.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:41 pm

I agree for the most part, Robin, particularly about the comparison to O'Charley's, with one major difference: flavor. KT's tends to have it, big chains like O'Charley's and Applebees rarely do. KT's has always been consistent in being good food. It does have that "O'Charley's" atmosphere, a point the wife and I discussed to no end during our visit, but it feels a little more personal somehow.
Disappointing to find out there is no head chef, however. But I agree that "fine dining" is probably not the goal. At the same time, I don't really expect too much "fine dining" when I go to KT's, so I guess I'm getting exactly what I expect which is why I'm happy.
All in all, I'd go to KT's way before I'd settle for Applebees and the like.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:02 pm

RonnieD wrote:All in all, I'd go to KT's way before I'd settle for Applebees and the like.

I agree 100 percent! I was really trying to walk a fine line there. As I said, a lot of people love KTs, and I respect that. I just don't see it as a "foodie" destination, but then, I haven't been for a good while. I think I'm due to go in for a recalibration!
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:22 pm

I haven't eaten at KT's in EONS. Found their menu rather bland, but I used to like their salads. Aren't they sister restaurants with Austin's? Has anyone eaten there recently?
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:20 am

Kim H wrote:I haven't eaten at KT's in EONS. Found their menu rather bland, but I used to like their salads. Aren't they sister restaurants with Austin's? Has anyone eaten there recently?

Yeah, their salads are great! They have good soups too (chicken artichoke is my favorite). And yes, it is a sister restaurant to Austin's, where I just ate last week. I had an excellent creole style crab cake sandwich, cheese grits, and their incredibly delicious apple strudel with ice cream. It is enough for two people, and it is rich and moist and tastes more like an apple bread pudding than anything!
no avatar
User

Andrea N.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:31 pm

by Andrea N. » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:43 am

KT's has always had good food and great service. Love their salads and brunch burrito.

Wish I could say the same about sister restaurant Austin's. Service is always so slow and food has been lackluster. Got tired of getting credit off the bill or coupons for free meals about every time we went there. I doubt will be returning to Austin's anytime soon.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:50 am

Austin's has been a place we would stop in when all we wanted was a good house salad and some strong brewed ice tea. For that Austin's does fine.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:09 am

I would agree with all the above. If you're in the mood for a perfectly servicable salad, or bar type food, then KT's does it well. And sometimes that is exactly what I'm in the mood for. I've always found the restaurant to be clean, the staff helpful and cheerful and the food dependable. But a destination restaurant? nah.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:31 pm

Leah s wrote:I would agree with all the above. If you're in the mood for a perfectly servicable salad, or bar type food, then KT's does it well. And sometimes that is exactly what I'm in the mood for. I've always found the restaurant to be clean, the staff helpful and cheerful and the food dependable. But a destination restaurant? nah.

Not a destination restaurant for us, either. Honestly, it's pretty far down the list - not because it's bad, but I think our tastes have changed. Last time we were there, though, it looked kind of dated and beat up from use. Do you know what I mean? The wood bar was banged and scratched, the tables had gunky stuff that collects over time in hard-to-reach places - not dirty but not sparkling. I like TP's term: "stale".
no avatar
User

John NA

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:09 pm

by John NA » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:34 pm

I think the comparison to O'Charley's and Applebee's is a good one. I would agree, KT's isn't a fine dining kind of place and not my choice for a special occasion. I do enjoy lunch there, however, and I like it a whole lot better than the chains.