Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ loves steaks, service at Del Frisco's

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:22 am

Marty gets space for an unusually generous 713 words from the editors at Scene today, and uses them to serve up a strongly positive review of the steaks and service at the St. Matthews landmark Del Frisco's, a place that was one of the city's top tables in the '80s, slipped seriously thereafter, but if Marty's report is to be believed, is bouncing back, at least in the steak department. His words for the salad and dessert are a bit less complimentary, a minor concern that probably explains the three-star overall rating for what had to be a four-star steak.

Today's nitpick: In an intro discussing all the restaurants around Sears and Oechsli avenues (which he declines to describe as "where the old Sears used to be), Marty refers to Cafe Lou Lou is "casual Italian." Whaaa?

[url=http://cityguide.courier-journal.com/fe/RestaurantReviews/Profile.asp?businessid=46819]Standout steaks
Del Frisco's isn't trendy, but it has everything you need[/url]

<B>Del Frisco's</B>
4107 Oechsli Ave.
Louisville, KY
(502) 897-7077
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: CJ loves steaks, service at Del Frisco's

by Jay M. » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:07 am

I liked his observation:

And as for technical preparation, our steaks could have served as a training manual for someone studying the difference between rare and medium-rare — they were perfectly cooked to order.

I've found a lot of variability at various places around town in the steak preparer's interpretation of rare, medium, rare and medium. Either that or they just botch the prep. I haven't been to Jeff Ruby's, but I recall the reviews invariably commented that a steak was not prepared as ordered (yours was raw?).
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:40 am

While everything else about Del Frisco may have slipped a notch, the steaks never have. Still the best place for a steak in town and they take a debit card, which is still a technological advancement that seems to elude a certain steakhaus in town. :wink:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:44 am

Jay M. wrote:(yours was raw?).

Yes, the raw steak was at Jeff Ruby's. The raw lamb was at Kimis Asian Bistro.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Today's nitpick: In an intro discussing all the restaurants around Sears and Oechsli avenues (which he declines to describe as "where the old Sears used to be), Marty refers to Cafe Lou Lou is "casual Italian." Whaaa?

I guess I'll let Clay (Chef Wallace) address this, but I don't feel that description is completely out of bounds, what with our extensive menu of pastas, calzones and pizzas (and tiramisu!). Of course, we also have a "casual Greek" angle to the menu as well, with Greek salads, gyros, tatziki sauce, etc.

Link to Cafe Lou Lou menu

I guess I didn't realize Del Frisco's was so close to us - it's probably practially within sight of Lou Lou and I didn't even know it! I've always wanted to try that "Green Phunque" - sounds delicious.
no avatar
User

Fernando Martinez

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:53 pm

by Fernando Martinez » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:48 pm

I agree Ed, love their steaks and the spinach funk casserole. Jiles(Del Friscos chef) is a really nice guy, good to having as a neighbor. Fernando.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:41 pm

Not to sidetrack, but I always thought Lou Lou's was more of an Italian place as well, with a few other accents, but people kept telling me they were a cajun restaurant! When Marty wrote that I said to myself "I guess they finally settled on being Italian!"

As for Del Frisco's, sounds like its time to head back out there (if I can keep my car from turning into the Equus or Havana Rumba parking lot that is!) and give them another go. A friend speaks highly of them as well, so to Del Frisco's I will go!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY