Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Equus

no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

Equus

by Kurt R. » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:11 pm

Sometimes we "foodies" overlook the true classics in the Louisville dining scene. I have just recently joined this forum and I think it is a great outlet to share our rants and raves in the local restaurant scene. Back to the original thought.
I dined at Equus on Monday night and let me say that Equus does it right, down to answering the phone. Two rings and the call is answered - ALWAYS. Reservations are a breeze and the email confirmation thing is great for those of us on the go. We started off with wine and we went with Troy's recommendation of The Prisoner a wine spectator 93 and I have to say it was closer to a 98 for me. We had two people at our table that don't even like wine that thought it was great. Our salads were cold and crisp, the entree's were cooked prefectly and dessert was (sorry for the cliche) to die for. Service, food, wine, attentiveness were all firing on all cylinders. I welcome John Varnese and his new addition to Frankfort along with the new addtions coming soon from Anthony Lamas of Seviche, the new Shariz and of course Corbet's fine dining, but we should really give credit where credit is due. Equus is consistently fantastic. It is clean, well run, friendly staff, etc. I look forward to Dean's new venture, how do you top an original? I am not sure, but I am sure that Dean will not sacrafice quality anywhere and Corbet's fine dining will be the place to be. :)
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

DMcGarity

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:55 pm

by DMcGarity » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:33 pm

I totally agree. Everytime I am at Equus I am amazed. Dean runs a tight ship and he has great help in the kitchen and in the front of the house. I really commend him and his staff for the level of service and food they have maintained through the years.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:37 pm

Not to take anything away from you Dallas, Volare does a fantastic job as well, and deserves kudos.
Kurt

no avatar
User

DMcGarity

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:55 pm

by DMcGarity » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:44 pm

Well thank you very much but I am in am in no way looking for kudos. I just think that Equus is an amazing institution with top notch food and service that has been around for a long time and I really appreciate having a great place to go to that is kinda taken for granted in the dining scene. Thanks for reminding us all.....
no avatar
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:12 pm

I agree! As Dallas mentioned, Dean is one of the frontier Chefs, who has for over 20 years I believe, has been at the top of his game. I can't wait for Deans new place, because I live just down the street. I have a rustic Latino decor and modest renovation in my new place, but what Dean is doing, WOW!
no avatar
User

Dean Corbett

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:48 pm

Equus

by Dean Corbett » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:13 pm

To Kurt and all of my chef buddies, I am humbled by your kind remarks, while it is true I am a bit of an old dog, I am very blessed to have the best support team in Louisville. My staff truly makes it easy for me sometimes. As all of the chef's know it is sometimes difficult to stay fresh and inspired, when you read something so wonderful as this it brings me back to my first day here and the excitement it generated 23 years ago, it is just so truly appreciated.
I look forward to turning it loose a bit with the new place and especially having Anthony to share the occasional beverage and war story with as my new neighbor. Thank You.

Deano
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:19 pm

The best thing about Equus is the consistency. Not once have I dined there and been dissatisfied with the food, the service, or the atmosphere. Consistency is key and Dean and crew at Equus always deliver.

Kudos!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:43 pm

Hey Deano! You should feel so proud. It shows alot of the kind of man you are, to have been able to put together the teams you have. Look forward to sharing our opening war stories. Muchas gracias y buen provecho! Anthony Lamas
no avatar
User

Lori R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:20 pm

East End, Louisville

by Lori R. » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:24 am

We went to Equus last night for dinner for the first time. Wow! We had an incredible dinner and everything about the night was perfect. Troy also recommended The Prisoner wine to us as a choice that would go with my husband's steak and my pork tenderloin. It was delicious as was both our meals! Service was impeccable even though there was a party of 16 in the back room.

As we were leaving we wondered why we had not been to Equus yet but we know for certain this restaurant will be in the rotation!
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:50 pm

I am so pleased that a forum like this takes more people to our finer dining establishments. Equus is sometmes overlooked because of the location, but would we enjoy it as much if it were part of restaurant row? I doubt it. I hope that this forum will continue to bring people who truly love food to the establishments that share our passion. Deano, dallas and Anthony all share that passion for food and it is evident i their fine establishments. Dean and Anthony are going to take it to a new level in their new restaurants. Dallas anything in the works?
Kurt