Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

Bison - where to get it and how to cook it?

by Robin F. » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:00 pm

Does anyone know where to buy bison in town? Any suggestions as to how to cook it? We were thinking a roast or steaks instead of ground. Thanks!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Bison - where to get it and how to cook it?

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:14 pm

Robin F. wrote:Does anyone know where to buy bison in town? Any suggestions as to how to cook it? We were thinking a roast or steaks instead of ground. Thanks!

Rainbow Blossom usually has it frozen - from a local producer, I believe - and Whole Foods also has a fresh brand, but I don't think it's local. You can usually get standard steak cuts and ground beef, er, bison.

The key is not to overcook: Bison meat is very lean, and if you let it go very long, it toughens right up.

The flavor profile is similar to beef, but to me there's a dark, earthy back note that reminds me just a little of beef liver.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Where to buy Bison

by MarieP » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:38 pm

Paul's (at least the one in Chenoweth Square) has bison burgers and ground bison.
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:41 pm

Whole Foods is using Carmen Creek (Canadian). I think you can buy it wholesale from KY Bison (Goshen KY) through Creation Gardens
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:54 pm

I love the stuff. It has great flavor, but is much leaner than beef so it can cook up tough if overdone. The ground bison meat makes good burgers at med rare, and it makes good meatballs if you use cheese, breadcrumbs and eggs too.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Our recipe

by Will Crawford » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:39 pm

Ky Bison Co. is a local product. They have a store front on Main and Hancock next to Slugger Field.
562-9491

Westport General Store
Bison Rib-eye with Grits and Greens

Greens: Yield about 6 servings ( we just cook until there is enough)
Take 2 bunches of collard greens and trim into bite size pieces (no stalk). Rinse in cold water three times, draining the water each time.
Heat a pan big enough for the greens. Remember the greens will shrink by half after cooking.
Add oil to pan and about 4 pieces of bacon. Cook until medium.
Add the rinsed and trimmed greens along with a thinly sliced onion and one quarter cup of chicken stock.
Mix together and cook until shrunk by half.
Add salt and pepper to taste, half a jalapenos pepper, and sprinkle crushed red pepper.
Cook until tender.

Grits:
Bring 4 and half cups of water to a boil.
Stir in 1 cup of Weisenberger yellow grits. (These are the best stone ground grits on the market)
Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, cover and simmer until done. Add salt and cream of half and half to taste.

Bison Rib-eye: We use Kentucky Bison Company meat. It is raised a few miles form our restaurant and this makes the meat taste even better, as anyone knows home grown is the best. At home I marinate the meat in a half Worcestershire and half soy sauce mix. In the winter I grill the meat inside in the fireplace. Nothing better!
Have your steaks cut into 8oz portions. Grill until done. Medium rare to medium is best. Remember Bison meat is lean and over cooking can make it tough.
Thinly slice a red onion and toss in seasoned flour. Deep fry till golden brown. Serve on top of steak.
Will Crawford
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:51 pm

Sounds yummy Willie!! Do ya make yer own graaaavvvyyy??
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

a ragu?

by C. Devlin » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:03 pm

Maybe a wild boar ragu substituting bison for boar.
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks Everyone for the suggestions!

by Robin F. » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:14 pm

Will - it sounds delicious! Thank you to all!
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:21 pm

Amazing Grace on Bardstown. There is a seller at the highlands farmers market that sells Bison as well, on saturdays before 1 or 2. If they have started them up again?
User

jpdurbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:23 pm

Louisville, KY

The Bodega at Felice has it.

by jpdurbin » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:48 pm

829 E. Market behind Melillos and Felice. BTW, they are having a midweek farmers' market in the near future.
Johnathan P. Durbin
http://jpdurbin.net/
A Member of http://www.ThePCGurus.com
no avatar
User

NicoleF

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:29 pm

New Albany, IN

by NicoleF » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:55 am

On the Indiana side, Creekside Outpost & Cafe on Hausfelt Ln, near IUS has bison.

I've had good results braising bison roasts in red wine, seasoned with sliced onions, rosemary, and a dash of soy sauce.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Buffalo Crossing

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:50 pm

Buffalo Crossing (due East, around a 15 min drive from the Jeff Co border) is a Buffalo ranch and family-style restaurant. Robin has reviewed the restaurant, I think. It's a nice excursion, especially if you have kids, tho the restaurant I'd personally give AT MOST 2 stars to (tho as I said, a nice excursion).

They sell frozen and fresh steaks there, and I believe all are slaughtered on the premises!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Buffalo Crossing

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:22 pm

andrew mellman wrote:Buffalo Crossing (due East, around a 15 min drive from the Jeff Co border) is a Buffalo ranch and family-style restaurant.

You might give a call first ... I recently heard it was closed, although it may be seasonal.

If it's still open, I'll concur in your rating, Andrew: It's a fun place for a short summer road trip, and the whole idea of it is fun, but as a restaurant goes, it resembles Joe Huber's in atmosphere but the food isn't really anything to write home about.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Buffalo Crossing.

by Doogy R » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:28 pm

According to their website, they operate from April-December.

http://www.buffalocrossing.com/
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.