Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Restaurants Missed

User

Robin W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Old Louisville

Re: Restaurants Missed

by Robin W » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:07 am

omg, Lums on Lower Brownsboro. I had forgotten that one. Funny!

One of many missing Parisian Pantry.
Also: La Paloma, Mimi's, Sugar Doe, and there was a wonderful place on Bardstown in the 90s that sold desserts and truffles and other good chocolate confections..can't remember the name. Same block as Days Coffee.
And when we had vegetarian places like the one that was in the old Cloisters area and Veggie Vault on Frankfort Ave. I love Zen Garden, et al. but it would be nice to have more.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:52 am

I never actually ate at veggie vault but I did play a show in their parking lot once haha.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Jeffrey D. wrote:There also was a Lums at Holiday Manor (maybe before it was HM). I know because my younger brother drove his car thru their wall shortly after he got his driver's license.

And as for early pizza, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Marios - a true red-checkered tablecloth place. I frequented the one in St. Mathews (where Rattermans is now) and I think there were a few others. They had a commisary or something on Baxter, I think, a little north of the Broadway intersection.

Seem to recall Marios having a restaurant on Bardstown Rd (across from Bristol??)...and thanks for mentioning Lum's...they had a couple of locations in Indianapolis during the '60's, and I remember the location near UofL...hot dogs steamed in beer and a basket of fries.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Tim Y

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm

by Tim Y » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Been watching this thread closely and have seen some bar and rest spots that I remember from the good ole days,.....but nobody mentions Studebakers!!! That was the coolest place to work, bar none. We were slammed and then "SHOWTIME", we dropped everything and jumped up on the bar to dance. I also was the HH chef (24 ft buffet) for a few years which is where I got the handle chef Tim. The DJ's Duke, Mel, Rocky & Troy, Tony Vanetti, etc. They used to do live gigs with us, and I could call in to request a song and it would play, "NEXT". They would say this goes out to chef Tim over at Studes, and it was a great segue. (sp?) Man, the clout I had in those days!!! LOL The best part was the hours, exec chef working 10-9 tue to fri, weekends off. Wish I had that job again!!! :D
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Where was Studebakers? Bob and I have very different remembering about location! Thanks.
User

Wes P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Impellizzeri's Pizza

by Wes P » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Hurstbourne/Plainview area.
The Original Impellizzeri's Pizza
www.impellizzeris.com
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks Wes! That is where I thought it was but Bob thought it was downtown??? I lived in the Plainview area at that time and was pretty sure that is where it was. Can't remember exactly the location? Too many years ago!!!
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:01 am

Studebaker's was at the corner of Shelbyville Road and Hurstbourne Lane on the side opposite from where Z's is today.

In that same area was a little deli called "The Nosh Box" - I do miss that place.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:39 am

The Nosh Box wasn't too bad, Len... whatshisname. Great place for deli sandwiches.
Remember the short lived bar called Harlow's? What about Bennigan's? Cork & Cleaver, Steak & Ale?
I bet no one remembers the old Sea Queen on Taylorsville Rd a couple doors down from Datillos.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:15 am

Carla G wrote:The Nosh Box wasn't too bad, Len... whatshisname. Great place for deli sandwiches

Les Naiman. He came back just a few years ago with another deli in the same general location, but sadly, it didn't last.

Carla, I remember all those places except the Sea Queen. ;)
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:01 am

They were all chains (except the Sea Queen) and not very noteworthy except that they were some of the first places in Louisville where you could take the wife and family AND get a cocktail with your dinner. There was the Essex House and The Embassy Club prior to Steak &Ale and Cork & Cleaver where you could get dinner and drinks but they were a bit nicer and not as family friendly.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:18 am

I fondly recall the Essex House for its excellent prime rib...and thanks for reminding me of the "Nosh Box"...I was trying to remember its name recently--very good deli (that included borsch on the menu).
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Carla G wrote:The Nosh Box wasn't too bad, Len... whatshisname. Great place for deli sandwiches

Les Naiman. He came back just a few years ago with another deli in the same general location, but sadly, it didn't last.

Les Naiman and Mark Suna, I think, at least for a while. Naiman was serious about the business. Suna was a .... real piece of work. Wonder whatever happened to him?
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:41 pm

Jeffrey D. wrote:Les Naiman and Mark Suna, I think, at least for a while. Naiman was serious about the business. Suna was a .... real piece of work. Wonder whatever happened to him?

Good point. I believe their first venture was called "Les and Mark's." And wasn't it downtown? Fifth and Liberty? Someplace around there. Les and Mark got a (corporate) divorce and Les reopened as the Nosh Box, either downtown or Hurstbourne. I eventually met Les, very nice guy. I never knew Mark.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:45 pm

Jeffrey D. wrote: Wonder whatever happened to him?

Google, The Stalker's Friend. :lol:

Looks like Mark is in commercial real estate ...
http://thebossgroup.info/Staff.aspx

And on Facebook ...
http://www.facebook.com/people/Mark-D-Suna/560889671
PreviousNext