Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Restaurants Missed

no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Re: Restaurants Missed

by MarieP » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Is that the same as Pizza By the Guy? Their sauce is a bit sweet and has a flavorful wheat crust (haven't had it in awhile though).
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:52 pm

MarieP wrote:Is that the same as Pizza By the Guy? Their sauce is a bit sweet and has a flavorful wheat crust (haven't had it in awhile though).

"Pizza By The Guy" formerly went by another name ("Fast Break Pizza"?)...they had an outlet in Crestwood, but closed awhile back...I believe "El Caporal" now occupies their space. But you're right -- I do recall it being very good pizza.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:
Mary Anne wrote:Sadly, I seem to be the only one that misses the Melrose Inn... :?

Oh, no Mary Anne. I referenced them. I wasn't kidding when I said they had the best breakfast, ever. Like many on the list substitutes for those favorite dish's are few and far between. Luckily we have new places to have favorites from, but not breakfast. :cry:

Melrose Inn had wonderful country ham, as I recall.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:45 pm

The pizza place in the AFrame building at Breckinridge and Hikes eventually became the Village Inn Pizza parlor in the late 60's and early 70's. They had a honky tonk piano and a sing along screen and songs much like you'd hear on Lawrence Welk. I played there a couple of times when I got to know the owner. (I was about 15) That set me up for a later gig in 1974 at the essex House.

Anybody remember the name of the room where Freddie George played? Now it's the Holiday Inn....1970. Por Que No...loved it. How about the Chapel in the Cloisters? Fanelli's Ice Cream in Buechel. Anyone remember Murphy's in the square of Jeffersontown? I was in grade school, lol!

Hi Rob, I played at the Terrace for 4 years. What a great crew. Mike Reidy (Irish Rover) started there as a foul mouth server. He kept everyone in stiches. We LOVE him!
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:46 pm

OOPS...I forgot.....La Cuisinere on Bardstown Road. After the bars closed, people headed there for breakfast and such....walked back in the kitchen for a plate full.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:10 pm

Kyle L wrote:
Pizza Inn - I recall the one on Dixie HWY, spent many an afternoon sampling their buffet.

Don't forget Godfather's Pizza in Hikes Point. It was located next to the Funeral Home. The pizza place later became a Convenient Store.

That was Lum's for several years before it became Godfather's Pizza. Killer roast beef sandwiches and spicy fries.
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:17 pm

I don't remember Lums. It may have been before my time.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:38 pm

John Greenup wrote:Melrose Inn had wonderful country ham, as I recall.

Wasn't it also one of the first places one could enjoy the trademarked joys of Derby-Pie®?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:40 pm

Linda C wrote:La Cuisinere on Bardstown Road.

Yes! Mid-'70s. My sweetie and I had a couple of date meals there. :) Whoa, that's been a few years now ...
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Kyle L wrote:I don't remember Lums. It may have been before my time.

Kyle,
A building that was Lum's still stands as you head south on 3rd St shortly past the underpass for the railway near U of L. It's on the left and doesn't appear to have changed much. They had big burgers and beer in the '70s.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:37 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:
Kyle L wrote:I don't remember Lums. It may have been before my time.

Kyle,
A building that was Lum's still stands as you head south on 3rd St shortly past the underpass for the railway near U of L. It's on the left and doesn't appear to have changed much. They had big burgers and beer in the '70s.

The site behind U of L and Hikes Point were the only two Lum's locations I recall. They had hotdogs "steamed in beer". As kids we thought we were getting away with something when we had their hotdogs.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:00 am

My dad tells the story of how he bought a Lum's burger and noticed as he started to take a bite that there was a huge bolt in the bottom bun! :?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:40 am

Lums also had a location just off Bardstown Rd at Goldsmith Ln. It later turned into a chinese restaurant we affectionately called "Humping Panda" because their sign had a picture of two pandas... well,,, anyway..
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:54 am

There was also a Lums on lower Brownsboro Rd where the Thorntons next to Thai Taste is now.

(I know this sentence is a train wreck. Half my brain is refusing to cooperate this morning........I could really use some help, Matthew D.)
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:46 pm

There also was a Lums at Holiday Manor (maybe before it was HM). I know because my younger brother drove his car thru their wall shortly after he got his driver's license.

And as for early pizza, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Marios - a true red-checkered tablecloth place. I frequented the one in St. Mathews (where Rattermans is now) and I think there were a few others. They had a commisary or something on Baxter, I think, a little north of the Broadway intersection.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
PreviousNext