Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Restaurants Missed

User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

Re: Restaurants Missed

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:12 am

RonnieD wrote:Pete's Cajun 99 was originally the Cajun Cafe and that was Billy Fox's original restaurant in Louisville. In many ways the forefather of J. Gumbo's! I too miss the Cajun Cafe days, and Pete was a hoot!

Oh yeah, this was the first place we ate Cajun in this town in 1995. I think Joe's OK opened about the same time but we ate at C.C. / Pete's first. They were in the spot where Pita Delites is at 1616 Grinstead till they closed in May 1999. They had little placards on the tables that basically asked you to hurry up, eat & leave in a polite way. It was a "be considerate to those who may be waiting for a table" type thing. It was a small place and they needed that turnover.
I thought they moved to where Bearno's is now at 1318 Bardstown Road and changed the name to Beau Weevil opening June 4, 1999. They really poured on the Mardi Gras decor there and they sure needed the extra space. Wasn't this the same management/ownership or am I mistaken? I don't recall when Beau Weevil closed, does anyone?
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:20 am

Lonnie Turner wrote:I thought they moved to where Bearno's is now at 1318 Bardstown Road and changed the name to Beau Weevil opening June 4, 1999. They really poured on the Mardi Gras decor there and they sure needed the extra space. Wasn't this the same management/ownership or am I mistaken? I don't recall when Beau Weevil closed, does anyone?

Same place, the old Sunset East. Pete was a good beer aficionado and extended the beer list considerably after the move. Eileen Martin, ex-Silo now Beer House, installed a new draft system for him. It never had the same vibe as the original.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:05 am

I don't know but I thought Joe's OK Bayou predated 1995. I was thinking maybe 1991 or 92. Anybody know?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:54 pm

there was a wonderful place on Bardstown in the 90s that sold desserts and truffles and other good chocolate confections..can't remember the name. Same block as Days Coffee.

I think that was called Chez Mann - I remember hearing that once the word got out about the great desserts the chef/co-owner didn't like the stress of being so busy. I must say, they could be pretty cranky there but it was worth it. I may have heard she went back into insurance (or was that banking?).

Being the oldest, I was allowed to accompany my parents to late night dinners at Mario's on Dixie Hwy. My grandma lived with us, so while the younger ones slept I got to have pizza!
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:07 pm

David R. Pierce wrote:
Lonnie Turner wrote:I thought they moved to where Bearno's is now at 1318 Bardstown Road and changed the name to Beau Weevil opening June 4, 1999. They really poured on the Mardi Gras decor there and they sure needed the extra space. Wasn't this the same management/ownership or am I mistaken? I don't recall when Beau Weevil closed, does anyone?

Same place, the old Sunset East. Pete was a good beer aficionado and extended the beer list considerably after the move. Eileen Martin, ex-Silo now Beer House, installed a new draft system for him. It never had the same vibe as the original.

Pete took over the cooking duties when Billy sold him the Cajun Cafe, and he changed the name to Pete's. Then he moved to Beau Weevils, but for whatever reason couldn't keep it going. I lost touch with Pete about the time of the move. He was certainly a man who knew his beer and could hold his own with anybody I knew. To my knowledge Beau Weevil's closed within the year it moved.

I think Joe's OK Bayou predates the Cajun Cafe by maybe a year or two, I want to say 1993?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:44 pm

Joe's O.K. Bayou website says they opened in 1995, though my wife and I didn't get out that way till Nov. 20, 1997.
no avatar
User

EricSenler

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:26 pm

by EricSenler » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Does anyone remember a restaurant called Heavenly Ham (I believe a Long Johns Silvers used to be in the location) in Middletown?

Also - whatever happened to Rollo Pollo, Bahama Breeze, Alexander's, and Don Pablo's? Does anyone remember a Denny's off Hurstbourne Pkwy near the Shelbyville Rd intersection? I wish there was some sort of archive that shows what used to be where!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:05 pm

I think there was a Heavenly Ham in the Shelbyville Rd Plaza .
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

EricSenler

{ RANK }

Just got here

by EricSenler » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:34 pm

Carla G wrote:I think there was a Heavenly Ham in the Shelbyville Rd Plaza .

Not familiar with that one. I just recall the one in Middletown near the Blakenbaker intersection
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Prospect

by Jeffrey D. » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:49 pm

Carla G wrote:I think there was a Heavenly Ham in the Shelbyville Rd Plaza .

I think there was one in a little shop next to Paul's on 22 at Herr Lane, too. Sort of a "HoneyBaked Ham Store" deal.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
User

Mark B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:15 pm

On the edge of insanity

by Mark B » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:43 pm

I miss Kunz's the Dutchman, super atmosphere especially back in the Peachtree. Rubino's, Rib Tavern, Butterfields and Chico's
Unlike most of you, I am not a nut, but I do roast em.
no avatar
User

Bob Kiper

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:26 pm

by Bob Kiper » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Does anyone remember The Carney Cottage in St. Matthews back in the 50 & 60s ? :oops:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:26 pm

Bob Kiper wrote:Does anyone remember The Carney Cottage in St. Matthews back in the 50 & 60s ? :oops:

Canary Cottage? I don't remember it in person, Bob, although I'm old enough, if we had lived in the neighborhood. Funny how in those days kids from the Highlands didn't come out to St. Matthews or even Crescent Hill all that much. I guess those old hand-cranked Model Ts didn't really inspire long trips. :lol:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:54 pm

EricSenler wrote:Does anyone remember a restaurant called Heavenly Ham (I believe a Long Johns Silvers used to be in the location) in Middletown?

It was actually more of a store that sold hams to take home much like Honey Baked Hams in Shelbyville road plaza. In my opinion they were much better than the Honey Baked Hams mainly because they had a much nicer "crust" on the outside. They did have a small restaurant in the store that sold sandwiches and side items. The location is now occupied by Lemongrass.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

EricSenler

{ RANK }

Just got here

by EricSenler » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:46 am

Thanks for the info. I gotta say, that Denny's off Hurstbourne and Whittington Pkwy is one of the old restaurants I'm most nostalgic for. It occupied that location for 20+ years before finally closing down in 2000. Fazoli's isn't bad, though.
PreviousNext