Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Einstein Bagels?

no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:08 pm

[quote="Robin Garr
In further trivia, Louisville's first bagel shop was in a storefront at Hikes Point. But those days are long gone, and we certainly agree that there are no great bagels here now.[/quote]

Was that at a deli on Bardstown (Ithink) in the early 70's? When I lived here in my last life I had my first matzah ball soup there, my first chopped liver too. I was, evidently, a New Yorker in training back then.
Last edited by GaryF on Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Dan Baumann

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:09 pm

by Dan Baumann » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:17 pm

Mark R:

Well, I guess my endorsement of Dooleys was a bit strong. My intent was simply that at least they prepare them the proper way - they boil them. They at least go the route of trying to make them authentic. Panera Bread/Einsteins either simply bake or steam and bake.

That all said, I'm in complete agreement that a perfect bagel can't be found here - much like the taylor ham and egg sandwich on a hard roll, and good pizza (as previously discussed).

And I'm from NJ - Elizabeth area, within sight of Downtown Manhattan. And not coincidentally, there was a strong Jewish influence in the area I got my favorite bagels. Must have been good water too!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Bagel's

by GaryF » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:52 pm

Heather Y wrote:

Do you think every person lined up on the weekends at H&H, and every other bagel shop is Jewish? Nope. So you do not need a Jewish community to support a bagel shop.

Just like the Levy's Jewish rye commercials in NY, "you don't have to be jewish to enjoy Levy's bread".
also, You don't have to be Jewish to create NY style bagels,

I know from my own experience that the line at H&H is eclectic, but I think the fact that the area around it has the second largest Jewish population in world after Israel plays a big part in the quality of the product. I think the community demands and expects the bagels to be of a certain high quality. And you are correct that the workers at most any bakery are recent immigrants, but they are following time honored tradition put into place by the owners.
I agree that anyone should be able to make a real bagel, but there has to be a demand and I wonder if our small, but thoughtful, forum and the Jewish population here would be enough to support such an endeavour in the beginning. I for one would be there everyday. And I would no longer have to have an extra carry-on filled with 4doz H&H every trip back to L'ville.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

bagels

by Heather Y » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:25 am

Which location....? 46th Street or Broadway.. ? I do not know many Jews that live near Penn Station or Madison square Garden do you?
You know what, I forgot about the Diamond district.

It is, and can be done, we just have not had anyone that was interested in selling NY style bagels here in Louisville other than the guy from LI.
When I walk into Dooley's (on the rare occasion) on Sunday mornings, the majority of the folks in there are Jewish! How do I know this... because I know them. They seem to be quite happy with the bagels that Dooley's produces. It just so happens that they happen to live out that way.
But there are no bagel places in the Highlands, (which is in the neighborhood of some of the Synangogues, which by the way, there is one person from a particular synagogue designated to go get the bagels from Dooley's so they are available after morning worship. they travel to Breckenridge Lane. So if the theory that the Jewish community demands quality of their bagels.... Dooley's wins hands down! However, there are say 8700 Jews in Louisville, I doubt that these are the only folks that are keeping Dooley's in business. Would you agree?

I was born and raised in Jewish NY, and I miss a good bagel too, but I have tons of friends that are not Jewish who, when coming to Louisville ask where they can get a bagel?... I tell them, " there's a guy from Wyandanch that opened a bagel place, is the next best thing available. They don't complain. H&H is on the cusp of being a Brueggers, or other chain.
Ess A Bagel on Grand street, Largerly Orthodox community ( slowly being taken over by China town) now that is a bagel, and they still make Bialys. Does everyone know what a bialy is?

NY style bagels are a cultural thing that was introduced by to NY by way of the Jewish community from the "old country", it was passed on from generation to generation. If you take the folks that are making the bagels and bring them to Louisville, they will produce the same product that you enjoy in NY. The only thing they would have to bring with them is Water...
That is another story all together.

I would rather bring 4 doz. Drakes cakes back from NY than bagels!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

by GaryF » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:39 am

Heather- I think we are basicly saying the same thing- I'm not disagreeing with you at all.
My H&H was 80th&B'way, but I know they are expanding to more places. I hope their quality doesn't suffer. I actually prefered the smaller chewier ones I got on the Lower East Side close to Russ&Daughters (is that Ess A Bagel?). But that was quite a trek for some starch.
I don't know Dooley's but I will be there as soon as I find out where it is.
As for bialys- I started a thread a few months ago. Matthew from DCE got his father to bring some in from Chicago, bless his heart. Alas they were big and soft and not oniony so my quest for a bialy in Louisville continues.
I wish I was a more of a dessert eater so I could enjoy a Drake's Cake along with you- though I did like their crumb cake at times.
It's so odd. All the time I live in NYC I imported all my KY favorites and made my friends KY themed dinners. Now I import my NY favorites and cook NY themed dinners. I must learn to eat more locally.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Einstein Bagels?

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:35 am

Melissa S wrote:Einstein's

Okay, I took one for the team yesterday morning on my way home from a wine-geek event in Ann Arbor, and got an Einstein bagel for breakfast at Detroit Airport.

With the understanding that airport facilities generally tend to be substandard compared against regular chain units (classic example: Chick-Fil-A), I can't say that my plain bagel, toasted with cream cheese ($2.19) knocked my socks off. It was good-size and had a big hole in the center, and looked pretty much like a NYC bagel, but it just didn't have the chewy, crusty nature of the real thing. It was certainly better than Nancy's, but I'd rate it pretty much on a par with Dooley's. As a New York bagel, it ranks as "Gotham Lite."
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

Where's the seeds?

by Neal M » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:24 am

Has anyone noticed that the bagels at Dooleys tend to have a lot less toppings on them lately. This has been the case at both the Lime Kiln and new downtown location. I mentioned this to Mike the owner of the Lime Kiln store and he agreed. Evidently the Breckrinridge location is baking for most of the other stores and for some reason have cut back on the toppings. Not only does it seem like a petty way to save money, the bagels just plain are not as good. I tend to prefer more than just a few seeds on a seeded bagel, otherwise I'd be ordering them plain.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

bagels

by Heather Y » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:33 am

Had bagels in NY (with white fish salad) yesterday at a post wedding "brunch", and told them about our bagel dilemma here in Lou.

The sad look on my hosts' face was followed by, " there's nothin' you can do kid...... it's the wawta" (water), you will never have NY bagels in Lou E ville!

I guess we are gonna have to go Gothamless Robin!
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:04 pm

I am from Philadelphia where we had many great deli's and bagel shops. While living in Phoenix I became hooked on Einsteins. I think it is a good breakfast spot and it was always crowded with people eating, having coffee and reading the paper. Einstein's is also very child friendly which is great for those with young kids. Despite their bagels not being "authentic NY style" I am hopeful that they do open here in Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:16 pm

Recently had bialy and sable from Russ & Daughters on the LES. Heavenly.
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:33 pm

Nice Ron, Nice!

BTW, Rue 57 was horrible, the catered food choices were nothing Rue (french Bistro) or Asian as the menu states. I swelled from all the salt! Yuck.
I want to purge my story... but this is a Louisville forum!
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

by GaryF » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:03 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:Recently had bialy and sable from Russ & Daughters on the LES. Heavenly.

Sigh!
Previous