Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Amerigo, a definite asset to East-end dining

by Gayle DeM » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:52 pm

Like Robin, I found a lot to like on my first visit to Amerigo for lunch today. I went with a dear friend from Lexington. Cheri, our amiable and efficient server, brought us our drinks immediately and, although we came early for lunch at 11:30, graciously understood our request to not be hurried in making our selections, as we had a lot of catch-up visiting to do. While we chatted and discussed our possible selections we nibbled on the focaccia that appeared immediately after out beverage orders. (Note, both unsweetened and sweet iced tea of great clarity are available.)

At our server’s suggestion we shared an order of goat cheese and walnut salad ($6.50). The assortment of greens with tomato, red onions, roasted red peppers, goat cheese and roasted walnuts was lightly dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette. She was definitely correct with the suggestion to share, because our half orders were larger than most side orders. We both decided on the Cannelloni al Forno ($9.50), fresh egg pasta stuffed with roasted chicken, ricotta, spinach, herbs and Parmesan cheese, topped with a combination of mozzarella, and tomato and béchamel sauces. With our first bite, we both commented on how pleased we were with our choice. The pasta was a definite al dente, the filing, tender without being mushy, and the sauces rich and sufficient, complimenting, not drowning the cannelloni.

Although our server did share the dessert possibilities with us, unlike Robin’s server cited in his Voice-Tribune review, she was not at all pushy about encouraging us to upgrade our meal. We declined dessert, but, wishing to visit longer, turned to coffee from our iced teas. We both commented on the large size of the cups, the ease of holding them, the pleasant aroma, and the strength of the coffee. Like the iced teas, the coffee cups were keep continually filled.

For the two entrees, shared salad, two iced teas and two coffees we gladly paid $50, which included a generous, more-than-20% tip, because Cheri’s service had been flawless in our estimation.

On the way out, we were able to meet Chef Loire. He was personable and gracious. Amerigo is a definite asset to the East-end scene. I can’t wait to return. It is definitely a better lunch option that its Italian, chain neighbors along the Hurstbourne strip.
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:17 pm

We went tonight and were totally unimpressed. The arugula salad was very tasty, as was the bread. The entrees were both so totally lackluster and the service was very, very slow. I doubt I will return, what with some other much better executed Italian places in Louisville.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:48 pm

We were there Friday, same story, the service was slow, this was at 5:30-6PM not rush hour. Food was okay but pricey and wasn't all that impressed by quantity or quality. Menu was abbreviated..

GG
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:32 am

I had lunch there last week and while it wasn't bad, I wouldn't say run out to eat there right now. I had the arugula salad with chicken, and it had tasty fresh arugula with a decent amount of well seasoned chicken breast. The monstrous meatball and sausage sub a friend had was good.. the fries it came with were decent.

Our server (waitress? :D ) was great, attentive and friendly, but the kitchen was sloooooow. They just opened, so I'll give them a pass for now.

The word I would use to describe my entire experience was "fine". The food was fine. The service as fine. Nothing to write home about.
no avatar
User

Mark A.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 pm

Amerigo

by Mark A. » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:31 pm

Dined there this evening. Mediocre at best. I don't think they changed a thing on the inside. It looks just like Harper's did ? Our artichoke cheese dip appetizer was tasteless. My wife's salmon was dried out with no flavor. My Tuscany chicken was fair. Service was spotty and slow, especially between the salad and main course. The best part of the meal was my iced tea nightcap !