Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Spoon Fish

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Spoon Fish

by Kim H » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:24 pm

Ok, I'll start a new topic. My dad always asked me about spoon fish, something native to KY. I researched it a while back, and it seemed to be a sort of catfish, but I'm not sure. What is it, and when is the season? Does anyone recommend trying it?
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:53 pm

Neat article from National Geographic. They even mention Shuckmann's, a locally owned place.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... aviar.html
Last edited by Doogy R on Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Spoon Fish

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:56 pm

Kim H wrote:Ok, I'll start a new topic. My dad always asked me about spoon fish, something native to KY. I researched it a while back, and it seemed to be a sort of catfish, but I'm not sure. What is it, and when is the season? Does anyone recommend trying it?

Spoonfish is indeed a bottom-feeding fish akin to catfish, Kim. Its primary use in aquaculture is as a source of caviar ... Shuckmann's, in Louisville, has built an international reputation for its product.

I don't know that there's anyplace in town serving spoonfish as a dinner dish, though. I don't think it would be distinguishable from catfish.