Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Trader Joe's in Louisville

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Trader Joe's in Louisville

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:24 am

Matthew D wrote:I happily go to the far east side of central St. Matthews, but going to the true east side of St. Matthews is where I draw the line.

:lol:

I do think the definitions are changing, and even since we moved back here from NYC in 1994. it's my sense that St. Matthews inside-the-Watterson) has become more of a piece with the urban area. I think the growing restaurant and club scene there, recently discussed in another thread, fits in with that. As a prewar and immediately postwar suburb, most of its neighborhoods are 60 years old now - some considerably older, all well before the age of the "McMansion."
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:30 am

Robin Garr wrote: what kind of facilities and neighborhoods are the Cincinnati and Nashville TJ's in?

TJ's in Nashville is steps from a Whole Foods and mall. Cincy is very close to a BW3's and mall. The Louisville store would be close to all three.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:32 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Matthew D wrote:I happily go to the far east side of central St. Matthews, but going to the true east side of St. Matthews is where I draw the line.

:lol:

I do think the definitions are changing, and even since we moved back here from NYC in 1994. it's my sense that St. Matthews inside-the-Watterson) has become more of a piece with the urban area. I think the growing restaurant and club scene there, recently discussed in another thread, fits in with that. As a prewar and immediately postwar suburb, most of its neighborhoods are 60 years old now - some considerably older, all well before the age of the "McMansion."

Glad you picked up on the sarcasm in the post. That being said, I do sort of mean what I said. When it comes to St. Matthews, I think the urban/suburban line begins east of Thieman Lane.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Kari L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by Kari L » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:36 am

Every TJ's I've seen outside of Boston and NYC has been in a strip mall in a suburb. I think Shelbyville Road Plaza would be a good fit for it. I don't see being that close to WF being a problem -- TJ's is much smaller.
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:44 am

I never "got" the attraction of TJ, but that's just me. When we lived in Indianapolis, I think we went to that TJ (which also is in a suburban strip mall) perhaps 5 times in 10 years. It seemed that a few items that appealed, but not enough of them to warrant a trip.
'Winger
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:06 pm

MikeG wrote:I'll believe it when I see the doors open.

This ^

I'll be next in line behind one of the MikeG's.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:11 pm

We had quite a few Trader Joe's in Seattle. I would be thrilled to get that store here. They have their own market niche. In fact they consider their customer as college professors. Sophisticated foodies with not a lot of money. Not quite over the top like Whole Foods and not cheap like Aldi. We sold our products to Trader Joes. They deal with a lot of independent food manufacturers and pay them well and on-time. It is a great model.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:14 pm

While probably not part of their consideration process that section of the shopping center already has very congested parking mainly because of the post office and Borders. There are several other spaces and that plaza it would have had much better parking. Actually the old Wild Oats location probably require very little modifications.
Last edited by Mark R. on Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:46 pm

Matthew D wrote:Glad you picked up on the sarcasm in the post. That being said, I do sort of mean what I said. When it comes to St. Matthews, I think the urban/suburban line begins east of Thieman Lane.

I would have said Hubbards Lane, based on the age of the housing stock and commercial (not counting Target and the Kroger center). The corner of Hubbards and Shelbyville Road has been developed for generations, with Holdaway Drugs, Pryor's restaurant and the Farm Bureau being landmarks in our parents' time (and Oriental House, still farther out at Fairmeade, being one of the city's first Chinese restaurants). Also St. Matthew's Episcopal at Hubbards and Massie being a regional landmark back to the early '50s. But I'm just being picky because I'm familiar with the area. To me, Crescent Hill and St. Matthews feel more like my connected home community than Crescent Hill and the Highlands.
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:48 pm

Lalalala...oh it is nice being right. Love it when the smarty-pants are wrong.

Seriously, folks, this is a big step towards Louisville becoming a "real" city (whatever that means).

For those of us who actually have lived in more "hip" cities (Tucson, Portland, Chicago for me), not even having a TJ's makes our city look quite small-town and backwards. Not good for attracting new young talented people.

Now -assuming this goes through, but it does exactly match what i had heard previously so sounding likely- the next step is to see if we can manage to connect the mighty pedestrian bridge across the river! And we can't blame Jeff for everything....can we do it??????? How many years will it take?

Oh, and Robin, yeah supporting local is important. But competition - and a good example - can be helpful too. Maybe we can learn. Plus, TJ's will be taking mostly Kroger dollars from me anyway. And leaving me more dollars left in my wallet to spend elsewhere in our fine community!!
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Matthew D wrote:Glad you picked up on the sarcasm in the post. That being said, I do sort of mean what I said. When it comes to St. Matthews, I think the urban/suburban line begins east of Thieman Lane.

I would have said Hubbards Lane, based on the age of the housing stock and commercial (not counting Target and the Kroger center). The corner of Hubbards and Shelbyville Road has been developed for generations, with Holdaway Drugs, Pryor's restaurant and the Farm Bureau being landmarks in our parents' time (and Oriental House, still farther out at Fairmeade, being one of the city's first Chinese restaurants). Also St. Matthew's Episcopal at Hubbards and Massie being a regional landmark back to the early '50s. But I'm just being picky because I'm familiar with the area. To me, Crescent Hill and St. Matthews feel more like my connected home community than Crescent Hill and the Highlands.

Hubbards was my original assessment, but then I thought about that strip area (with Pier One) on the north side of the street. I'm too young to remember most of that, but it makes for a compelling "argument" and an interesting history.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
no avatar
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:39 pm

not even having a TJ's makes our city look quite small-town and backwards.

I find the people determine whether or not a city is hip. Not its stores. If a person determines a city to be backwards and podunk because they don't have the latest trendy shopping centers, then it's their problem. I'd rather have those people stay out and people that value the community for the people to be my neighbor.
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:27 pm

Kyle L wrote:
not even having a TJ's makes our city look quite small-town and backwards.

I find the people determine whether or not a city is hip. Not its stores. If a person determines a city to be backwards and podunk because they don't have the latest trendy shopping centers, then it's their problem. I'd rather have those people stay out and people that value the community for the people to be my neighbor.

Uhhhh,,,well Trader Joes has been around since 1967. So if that is your idea of "the latest trendy shopping center" than you may be making my point.
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:30 pm

we're starting to split hairs here guys.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm just happy....
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
PreviousNext