Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Trader Joe's in Louisville

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:54 am

Kari L wrote:It's Five Buck Chuck Now?

I know it isn't Two Buck Chuck anymore but I was thinking it was still at least Three or Four Buck Chuck... :lol:

It was never Two Buck Chuck anywhere but in California, where wine is a powerful lobby and laws are different. TJ's there can be wholesaler and retailer, cutting out one of the three traditional "tiers" of alcohol distribution. It chose to pass the savings along to the customer and sold Charles Shaw wines at its wholesale cost. That's not legal in the other 49 states, where the distributors get their "vig."
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

I know it isn't Two Buck Chuck anymore but I was thinking it was still at least Three or Four Buck Chuck... :lol:

It was never Two Buck Chuck anywhere but in California, where wine is a powerful lobby and laws are different. TJ's there can be wholesaler and retailer, cutting out one of the three traditional "tiers" of alcohol distribution. It chose to pass the savings along to the customer and sold Charles Shaw wines at its wholesale cost. That's not legal in the other 49 states, where the distributors get their "vig."

"Vig"??? Nice little store youse got there. Too bad if anything happened to it. :lol: :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:57 pm

Jon K wrote:"Vig"??? Nice little store youse got there. Too bad if anything happened to it. :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't want to draw guilt by association, Jon, as it's been some 80 years ago now, but many of today's liquor distributors do trace their roots back to Non-Governmental Organizations that ran the business during Prohibition and went legit after Repeal.
no avatar
User

Kari L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by Kari L » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:42 pm

Aldi sells a store brand wine for $3.99/bottle...I always wondered if it's the same thing with a different label, since the two stores are related.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jon K » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jon K wrote:"Vig"??? Nice little store youse got there. Too bad if anything happened to it. :lol: :lol:

I wouldn't want to draw guilt by association, Jon, as it's been some 80 years ago now, but many of today's liquor distributors do trace their roots back to Non-Governmental Organizations that ran the business during Prohibition and went legit after Repeal.

Naw, I would never draw an association like that. I just like anyone who uses vig or vigorish as effortlessly as say, Elmore Leonard. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:44 pm

Jon K wrote: I just like anyone who uses vig or vigorish as effortlessly as say, Elmore Leonard. :)

A little literary device, nothing more ...
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jon K » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:52 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Jon K wrote: I just like anyone who uses vig or vigorish as effortlessly as say, Elmore Leonard. :)

A little literary device, nothing more ...

Ah, such modesty.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Robin,
Are you sure? I swear I bought it for $2 in NJ 15 years ago. But, then again, I've lost a lot of brain cells since then... :wink:

See you tonight!
Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Are you sure? I swear I bought it for $2 in NJ 15 years ago. But, then again, I've lost a lot of brain cells since then... :wink:

What I said is the conventional story, Deb. $2 in California, where TJ can be wholesaler and retailer; more in the other 49, where transportation and "vig" have to be taken into account.

But it's certainly not impossible, at least in states where below-cost retail is legal (not so for alcohol in Kentucky), that a TJs could put it up as a loss leader.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:10 pm

I'm just dumb, carry on without me. :oops:

They didn't have it in Nashville, so I never could buy it. I just believe in the rumors. It's why I've got that Bigfoot trap in my backyard.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Kari L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:11 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by Kari L » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:44 pm

Winking Owl wine is $2.69/bottle at the Aldi in New Albany.
no avatar
User

Mark Gilley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:14 pm

by Mark Gilley » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:28 pm

Jon K wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

"Vig"??? Nice little store youse got there. Too bad if anything happened to it. :lol: :lol:

great! i see what you did there, lol
Previous