Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Trader Joe's in Louisville

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Trader Joe's in Louisville

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:Trader Joe's in Louisville? Debunking the latest rumor

You know what's really irritating (and typically Gannettoid) about this? The guy cites us as spreading a rumor, where in fact he picked up a 10-day-old thread that our own members had already thoroughly debunked on the first page! The rest of our thread involved a mostly serious, interesting discussion about Trader Joe's, Jungle Jim's, indies and chains and food-store economics. A lot more value here than in the CJ's blurb itself, which builds its theme on "We keep debunking this rumor" when such service wasn't really needed.

Harrumph ...
no avatar
User

Amy Smalley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:03 pm

Middletown

by Amy Smalley » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:32 am

I know the whole Trader Joe's thing has been debunked but....a friend went to Craftsman Collection the other day (in same shopping center as Puccini's and Border's) and the saleslady said they are losing their lease in February. When asked why, she said because a Trader Joe's is coming in. It seems strange that the myth is being perpetuated among businesses that are losing their lease as well! Hmmm...very strange.

Amy
no avatar
User

Bill R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 am

Middletown

by Bill R » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:06 am

Amy Smalley wrote:I know the whole Trader Joe's thing has been debunked but....a friend went to Craftsman Collection the other day (in same shopping center as Puccini's and Border's) and the saleslady said they are losing their lease in February. When asked why, she said because a Trader Joe's is coming in. It seems strange that the myth is being perpetuated among businesses that are losing their lease as well! Hmmm...very strange.

Amy

Losing our lease is often code for the rent is going up.
no avatar
User

Pam G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:19 pm

Downtown days/Northeast nights

by Pam G » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:28 am

no avatar
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:48 am

I was just at a Trader Joe's in Nashville and they did NOT sell wine. Only beer.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:55 am

I told you they were coming to Louisville!

(or was that Nimbus?)
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:14 am

I'll believe it when I see the doors open.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:49 am

I don't understand why they would build it just a block over from Whole Foods. That was the case previously when the other health food store in the same plaza closed a few yrs ago. If bringing Trader Joes is to the detriment of Whole Foods then I don't see the benefit. But I guess the Trader Joe team of market analysts work for the steak house and sushi restaurants as well who see the Mortons/Jeff Ruby/Eddie Merlot and concentrated sushi joints all downtown as being viable.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:03 am

James Natsis wrote:I don't understand why they would build it just a block over from Whole Foods. That was the case previously when the other health food store in the same plaza closed a few yrs ago. If bringing Trader Joes is to the detriment of Whole Foods then I don't see the benefit. But I guess the Trader Joe team of market analysts work for the steak house and sushi restaurants as well who see the Mortons/Jeff Ruby/Eddie Merlot and concentrated sushi joints all downtown as being viable.

Generally I'd agree, but I get the impression that Trader Joe's doesn't come in to a new market without doing very serious research.

They've so adamantly said in the past that they have no plan for Louisville that I'm still dubious. I also thought they typically chose to reuse more urban buildings rather than shopping centers, although I have no expertise - what kind of facilities and neighborhoods are the Cincinnati and Nashville TJ's in?
no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:39 am

There's a Trader Joe's in The Forum, a Norton Commons-like development in suburban Atlanta, so maybe they're changing their strategy of going to only older, undervalued spaces. Then again, there are always rumors from supposedly reliable sources about Trader Joe's, so I'll also believe it when I see it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:43 am

Eliza W wrote:Then again, there are always rumors from supposedly reliable sources about Trader Joe's, so I'll also believe it when I see it.

Thanks for the info, Eliza. That's about where I am, too. That, plus I need to be consistent about local vs chains and, before I celebrate TJ's, consider what impact (if any) it might have on places I love, like Lotsa Pasta and Rainbow Blossom and Berger's and Doll's and Seafood Connection and Highland Seafood and our small but quality fine-wine shops. I know it's not in the identical niche as any of those, but it's certainly overlapping and at least to some extent goes after the same consumer dollars.
no avatar
User

Carole C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 15, 2009 7:00 am

by Carole C » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:55 am

The Trader Joe's in Cincy is in a small strip center that reminds of Shelbyville Rd. Plaza before it was redone. It is also right in the middle of a shopping mecca that is booming; the Kenwood Mall (with a new Crate and Barrel, among other things) is across the street and there is a lot of other retail in the immediate area.

I'm sure there would be some poaching from local retailers but I personally don't shop at any of the places Robin mentioned. TJ's, on the other hand, totally has my number, and I look for excuses to go to Cincy and Indy so I can pay a visit. I have turned many family and friends on to Trader Joe's, which is a good thing, since they all check with me for my shopping list when they are headed to either town.
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:03 am

Carole C wrote:The Trader Joe's in Cincy is in a small strip center that reminds of Shelbyville Rd. Plaza before it was redone.

That sounds similar to the TJ we go to a few times a year in Columbus, OH.
no avatar
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:10 am

This will teach you to NEVER doubt my sources . . . especially when I make them up in my head.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:20 am

Shelbyville Road Plaza. Hmmm, that's inside the Watterson, but just barely. Not somewhere I'm going to just trek to for the sake of it. I happily go to the far east side of central St. Matthews, but going to the true east side of St. Matthews is where I draw the line.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
PreviousNext