Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Trader Joe's in Louisville

User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

Re: Trader Joe's in Louisville

by Steve H » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:19 am

andrew mellman wrote:Roughly two-thirds of the store is an international grocery (the rest being a "standard" grocery and a large well-stocked wine store). It really sounds as if you only saw the wine store and "normal" grocery, and totally missed the international section. True - it's noisy, crowded, et al, but go back.

You reach it by going through the butcher area, and then if you turn right you hit the enormous produce and then international, while if you go straight or left you hit the "normal" grocery. Go right yooung man!

I think you are right! We didn't go to the meat or the produce section because we didn't have coolers and we weren't driving straight back.

So, it sounds like we missed the entrance to the international sections by not investigating those areas.

Thanks for the tip!
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:32 am

Love Jungle Jim's. The place is truly gargantuan. We make the jaunt about bi-annually. It's a neat little day trip.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Madeline M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Greater 'burbs of Detroit

by Madeline M » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:38 am

Jungle Jim's normally has maps of the store near the entrance area so it'll be a bit easier to navigate. Wear comfy shoes, it's a massive place and there's lots to explore in the ethnic areas! They have an entire aisle for hot sauces, 2 sections of British teas, and an aisle of italian olive oils...plus there are other varieties of each dispersed around the store based on their origin. Can't say I've looked specifically for mustards, but if you want something special they more than likely have it and if they don't, they will try to get it for you.

I may have to make a run up there soon!
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:39 am

I like Jungle Jim's but the problem is it requires that you go to Cincinasty.
I am the original Mike G, never mind the impostor.

I am kind of a big deal.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:12 pm

I love Jungle Jim's. It is owned by a man who started it as a roadside stand! He has sponsored lots of teams and done a lot in the community and has received many awards for that. He's also quite crazy- dresses as a wizard and roller skates through the place. Here's a really good article from Bloomberg:

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 929108.htm
no avatar
User

Joel H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:33 am

by Joel H » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:22 pm

andrew mellman wrote: (when was the last time you saw bins of Dragon Fruit, Durian, or even Jerusalem artichokes?)

We grew a ton of Jerusalem artichokes in our garden this year. Really tasty, and required very little maintenance.
User

Matt Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:01 pm

by Matt Davis » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:56 pm

I have to make a correction to my earlier statement. I have never been to Trader Joes, it was Jungle Jims that I went to. So all of my previous statements were about Jungle Jims.

With that said, quality of life is a big deal. I never looked at it from that perspective but it would vastly improve the quality of life for foreign nationals, restaurants, foodies as well as adventurous people. So anything negative I said previously means nothing now because I am all about quality of life.
Matt Davis
Owner/Operator
Lil Cheezers Gourmet Grilled Cheese
938 Baxter Ave
Louisville, Ky 40204
http://www.lilcheezers.com
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:58 pm

oh come on people, both Jungle Jim's and Trader Joe's are just fun places to shop.

I prefer them not to come here, so I can continue my girls day out trips with my girlfriends.
(rather spend money in KY) but if the State won't woo them here......

I would not want to see Rainbow, or Amazing grace get cut out so let them stay where they are.
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:01 pm

Heather Y wrote:oh come on people, both Jungle Jim's and Trader Joe's are just fun places to shop.

I prefer them not to come here, so I can continue my girls day out trips with my girlfriends.
(rather spend money in KY) but if the State won't woo them here......

I would not want to see Rainbow, or Amazing grace get cut out so let them stay where they are.

I agree on all counts, except my girlfriends are my wife and daughter.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:00 am

I'm sure Robin will be thrilled to see that his favorite Louisville newspaper has linked to this thread today ....
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:24 am

TP Lowe wrote:I'm sure Robin will be thrilled to see that his favorite Louisville newspaper has linked to this thread today ....

Links are always welcome ...
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:03 am

Robin Garr wrote:
TP Lowe wrote:I'm sure Robin will be thrilled to see that his favorite Louisville newspaper has linked to this thread today ....

Links are always welcome ...

Yeah, I guess driving traffic is not a terrible thing, even if from the CJ!!
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:44 pm

Mkay, my .02. Jungle Jims is the Disneyland of food.(they have a damn trout pond and a monorail!) I can, and have spent all day there at least once a year. I shopped at the Trader Joes in Berkeley many years ago (maybe it has changed since) but I was very underwhelmed. Cheap everything but.....you get what you pay for right? I would be much more impressed if we lured Jungle Jims here...then, we would have finally "arrived" if that is the intent of this thread....I think that if we keep wishing that some big chain will roll into town, we can sit back and say we are in the big league now. Why bother? We have all the chains and indies that anyone could want so why even wish for a Trader Joes? Am I missing something??(note, I just read the CJ blurb today so I'm kinda wordy...off soapbox now)
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:00 pm

For informational purposes for those that don't look at the CJ:

Trader Joe's in Louisville? Debunking the latest rumor
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:22 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Yeah, I guess driving traffic is not a terrible thing, even if from the CJ!!

Problem with that is, the CJ's site gets so little deep readership that a mention doesn't really make much of a blip on our radar.
PreviousNext