Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chinese Take-Out?

no avatar
User

Al Musinski

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:17 am

Louisville

carry out hikes point area.

by Al Musinski » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:42 pm

The red sun on breckenridge lane next to jocks is a good place You can order go next door have a cold brew. There is a oriental grocery shop next door too.
I always think better with a full stomach.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:53 pm

After bashing their sign, I decided to give Oriental House another try today. I have not been back since the new ownership. The last time we were there the food was truly awful.

I took my 13 yr old and her friend to lunch today. They were busy! They had General's chicken and Sesame chicken off the regular menu. Both delicious and enough to feed 2 (or 3). They are crab rangoon lovers and these were the best I've had in Louisville! Gosh, they must be so fattening! I ordered the tofu and seafood hot pot off the "authentic" menu. It was GREAT and what a good deal! The mussels, scallops and shrimp were large and plentiful. The tofu was nice and chewy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Vegetables were cooked to perfection. I am sorry that I haven't been here since the new owners took over, but we will be back.

After leaving, I walked up to that sign. The inside was caved in on both sides, causing the letters to tilt in at weird angles. That sign needs to be fixed! They could just put a banner over it advertising the buffet. The interior is really dated, too, with the vinyl wallcovering and fake wood paneling. However, I an willing to overlook that based on the excellent and reasonable lunch we enjoyed today.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:21 pm

I like The Oriental House, including it's very unPC name. I've had a couple really good meals off the authentic menu, and I rather like the tawdriness of the place. It reminds me of hole in the wall places in San Francisco and NY where you dine very well off plastic dishes served on chipped formica.
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:20 am

I agree with you Gary. It just feels more authentic if it doesn't look like PF Changs interior. One of my family's most memorable meals was in SF's Chinatown in a basement dining-room with exposed HVAC ducts. (Speaking of ducks...they had dead ones hanging in the front window.)
Oriental House is simply Louisville's BEST.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

Jim Zoeller

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Middletown

Re: Chinese Take-Out?

by Jim Zoeller » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:33 pm

OK, I know its not close to the East End, but I had to get my two cents in. The best cheap Chinese food in Louisville is China Inn on 4th Street near U of L. I started going there while in college, and now take my family almost once a week. Penny and her staff are the best.
Jim Zoeller
no avatar
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:08 am

Tell us what makes China Inn so good?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 pm

by christopher stockton » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:16 am

I went to the oriental house last week and had a great meal. I had a hankering for sweet and sour pork and my itch was satisfied..... Also you can't beat, the very unassuming "Great wall" on Brownsburough RD for good, fast take out.
"It's crazy good sandwiches"
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:29 am

I recall going to China Inn several times during my time at Speed School. Usually when I was dragged by friends. The only appeal I could ever see in it was convenience. Double Dragon on Goss was my preferred chinese fast-food spot during college.
no avatar
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

by Carolyne Davis » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:57 am

Mike M wrote:I have always liked the Dynasty Buffet on Lime Kiln Ln, they give you a to go tin and charge by the pound.

Have you eaten there recently??? Five of us went last Monday evening (One adult age 75, three adults 40 - 50 and one 11 year old). Without a doubt the worst chinese/asian food dining experience in my entire life! This comment based entirely on the food alone, as the service was fine. Not even the boiled shrimp tasted right. Not a one of us finished anything. Oh! I take that back, the child with us ate her entire "ice cream" cone. It was so awful, all five of us swore there were far too many tried and true good quality places to ever go back. UGH!
no avatar
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

by Carolyne Davis » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:07 am

Sorry - also wanted to say that we live right by Great Wall on lower Brownsboro and second or third the vote for great take out! Oriental House was my parent's favorite way back in the sixties or seventies even! It's always been great.
no avatar
User

Ray W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:30 am

Lyndon

by Ray W. » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:02 pm

I like the Chicken with Snow Peas...extra rice...at King Wok...Plus it's very convenient for me when I'm doing my Krogering in the Woodlawn Center...
no avatar
User

Tony D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:29 am

by Tony D. » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:37 pm

I loved the China Inn while I attended Speed School in the early eighties. I ate there at least once a week as I watched the girl at the cash register go from studying elementary subjects to high school text books.
My favorite dish was the Cashew Chicken, which amounted to batter fried chicken balls served in brown gravy over rice. There may have been a cashew involved, but if so, it wasn't memorable. Please tell me after twenty years that their fast food is still edible.
Seriously, I was pining while I waited for my pizza from Queenies/Windy City.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:57 pm

Still very good, Tony. At work, when our duty day falls on a payday Friday that is our traditional evening meal. They see the caller I.D. and answer the phone "China Inn, you want regular?" We are all creatures of habit................shrimp fried rice!
Previous