Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Bad Experience at Rivue

no avatar
User

John Schuler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:12 pm

Bad Experience at Rivue

by John Schuler » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:53 am

In light of the CJ's 3.5 star rating of Rivue, I thought I should share my experience at the new restaurant just in case some of you might be tempted to try it. I will start by saying that I was wary of Rivue to begin with because I don't like gimmicky restaurants and every ad I have seen for Rivue touts the view and the fact that the floor rotates. But I wanted to like it and I thought maybe this was a step in the right direction for this restaurant. Boy, was I wrong. The space is quite attractive and modern, and the view is nice. The bread and butter are good but the service was painfully awkward from the start. The wine list is short and boring, and I think it explains what this restaurant is all about. It is the same thing it has always been about, which is tricking people who don't know any better into coming there because of the view and making a lot of money off of them. If they cared at all about providing a dining experience on par with their pricing then they would have a more creative wine list and their selection of "import" beers would extend beyond heineken and corona. All of the wines were mass market with markups around 3x retail. When I asked the server what kinds of beer they had, she replied "all the domestics, plus heieken and corona." I only wish I could have seen my face, but apparently she thought I was wondering what "all the domestics" meant, so she proceeded to list all of the michelob ultras and miller lites which comprise the beer list at Rivue. No thanks. A "charcuterie" appetizer sounded good on the menu: pate, duck liver mousse, some sort of cheese concoction and seafood sausage. Unfortunately the pate was the only part that was even mildly good. The seafood sausage was hardly edible, and the taste of duck liver in the mousse was barely there. Entrees didn't fare much better. One of us had the Pork medallions with stone ground dijon cream sauce and angel hair pasta. This was the most foul of the lot, and hardly edible. In addition to arriving at the table with the sauce already congealed, the scaloppine style pork was leathery and had a very off taste. The angel hair pasta was an odd orange color, and the mushrooms served alongside were cold and sort of musty tasting, in a bad way. I also sampled a dish which was supposed to be a melange of seafood over pasta with a thermidor cream sauce. There were maybe two shrimp tails peeking out of the ocean of cream which was this dish. I never saw any pasta nor much seafood for that matter. Just lots and lots of cream. The final entree was the lamb shank, and it was really the only edible one of the lot. I know that it isn't that hard to braise a lamb shank though, so I'm not going to give them much credit. The meat was good, and the sauce was pretty good too, but there was quite a bit more fat on the shank than when I have had it elsewhere. The risotto that it was served with was another story. It was so laden with some sort of gooey cheese that every time I lifted the fork it looked like i was lifting a bite of pizza. After that we couldn't wait to get out, so no dessert was to be had. And also, to comment on the candy cart which is brought around with the check (and which Marty liked in his review), it really isn't very amusing when everything else sucks so badly.

Anyway, I just wanted to share that, and also make the point that I think Marty's reviews are off. I am not saying he didn't have better food at Rivue than I did, but I am saying that it is impossible that Rivue is capable of delivering the same type of experience as 610 Magnolia, which got the same rating for a silly srvice issue. Robin, I really hope you get to Rivue soon and rip it to shreds because it does not deserve to coexist with the wonderful restaurants that we have in this town.
no avatar
User

Fanny Timmer

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:27 am

We enjoyed Rivue!

by Fanny Timmer » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:34 pm

I ate there Saturday evening and we four had a wonderful dining experience. Granted, none of us are frequent wine drinkers, and none of us have been beer drinkers since we all left college. We all enjoyed our food, with the exception of the gnocchi which seemed a bit bland. Our waitress, who did a wonderful job, immediately offered to replace it. There was not a moment's lapse in the service from beginning to end. We each had different appetizers or soups, different entrees, and room for only one dessert which we all tasted. We left pleased and eager for a return visit soon.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:31 am

Bravo - thanks for this crucial bit of information. I'm now relieved of the burden of visiting Rivue. To be this ignorant of beer in the current day and age is simply unacceptable.

If they cared at all about providing a dining experience on par with their pricing then they would have a more creative wine list and their selection of "import" beers would extend beyond heineken and corona. All of the wines were mass market with markups around 3x retail. When I asked the server what kinds of beer they had, she replied "all the domestics, plus heieken and corona." I only wish I could have seen my face, but apparently she thought I was wondering what "all the domestics" meant, so she proceeded to list all of the michelob ultras and miller lites which comprise the beer list at Rivue. No thanks.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Clay_C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 09, 2007 8:36 am

by Clay_C » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:44 am

But Roger, they said they had both Heineken AND Corona. :wink:

BTW, we had our wedding reception at NABC on Saturday, and it was great. Reva did a fantastic job and I have a serious beer crush on the Mt. Lee. I might even like it more than the Hoptimus.
no avatar
User

David R. Pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 pm

by David R. Pierce » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:02 pm

Clay_C wrote:But Roger, they said they had both Heineken AND Corona. :wink:

That's like saying: We play both types of music; country AND western.
Cheers,
David R. Pierce
The Original BBC Brewmaster
Bluegrass Brewing Co.
St. Matthews branch
Craft Brewing Louisville continuously since 1992
no avatar
User

John R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 am

Old Lousiville

by John R. » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:03 pm

I thought he did go to Rivue or rather someone named Paige did? Robin did add something about the wine list at the end.

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=163
Im not a food"ie", I am a food"er".
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:03 pm

Got the impression from Paige's review that she attended a preview event, which may not have been indicative of the true experience.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:06 pm

Richard S. wrote:Got the impression from Paige's review that she attended a preview event, which may not have been indicative of the true experience.

That is exactly correct, and I sure <i>hope</i> that this was abundantly clear from the review. I haven't done my review visits yet ... I figured with Paige's review out there I'd lay back and probably check 'em out after cooler weather gets here.
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:11 am

Clay

Thanks. Reva said she had a great time with your group.

RAB
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Shannon A

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:43 pm

by Shannon A » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:33 pm

I wish I had read John's revue of Rivue before we went last Friday! We went for a birthday and picked Rivue over Jack Ruby's to try something new based on the 3.5 star rating my husband found. Shoot me now.

Yes, the floor rotates and the view was grand, especially of the Bats' end of game fireworks, but that's where the fun stopped. The place was almost empty, with bus boys and girls standing around, but our server was overwhelmed. We waited almost ten minutes to be ackowledged once we were seated. She forgot menus, then brought them without the wine list. She disappeared to find that for 10 minutes, then returned to take the dinner order. My son didn't mind--he was FASCINATED by the herd of giant spiders gorging themselves out side our rotating platform. When she returned, she took our entire order--martinis, apps, dinner and wine, and then disappeared again for about 15 minutes.

This time she brought the martinis AND the wine, apologizing for forgetting the wine chiller, explaining "I'm just SO busy!" The appetizer appeared with the bread selection. The other appetizers never appeared. Just as John said, the seafood was a congealed mess. The chicken and sea bass were okay, but certainly nothing beyond that. The wine chiller appeared midway through the main course after a re-request. Mercifully, we did not order dessert. I think our server was more relieved than we were.

Interestingly, a woman in a suit with an ear piece, presumably a manager, frequently stalked the room, but spoke to no one but the ear piece. My daughter pointed out that she looked like Frau Farbissina from the Austin Powers movies. She DID! I kept waiting for her to scream "Release the sharks!" and for the floor to slide back to reveal a tank. If only...then it might have been worth $228 plus tip.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:07 pm

Ok, I keep re-writing this entry. Basically, I hate to be a B, but this is what I expected from this venue. It's an outside restaurant group, hoping that the spinning wheel