Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Whistle Stop

no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

Whistle Stop

by Michelle R. » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:49 pm

My family and I are considering taking a trip to Glendale to eat at the Whistle Stop. Is it worth the drive? I've heard the food is fantastic, and was wondering if anyone here had an opinion.
no avatar
User

Sallie P.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:51 am

by Sallie P. » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:59 pm

It's good but has gone down from what it used to be in it's hey day.....but if you want a drive in the country. They have a buffet upstairs at Iron Horse on Fri and Sat.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:18 pm

It's quaint, and the "legendary" fried green tomatoes are just fine. Take a little extra money and buy a basket from an Amish craftsperson while you are there (they sell on the streets around the restaurant and railroad tracks).
no avatar
User

Andrew Gilley

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:54 pm

Whistle stop

by Andrew Gilley » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:22 pm

Loved it...I think it would be a great trip with the fam...I've wanted to do the same with mine.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Whistle Stop

by Steve Shade » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:24 pm

Michelle R. wrote:My family and I are considering taking a trip to Glendale to eat at the Whistle Stop. Is it worth the drive? I've heard the food is fantastic, and was wondering if anyone here had an opinion.

Went a couple of weeks ago. Have been a few other times. The food and service was good, not great. As TP said the fried green tomatos are good. So are Moby Dicks for that matter.

Had a 30 minute wait a couple of weeks a go for lunch during the week. Weekends are packed.

If you are going just for the food, it is not worth the drive. BUT there are a number of antique and gift shops that are good. Makes for a nice day trip.

If you go I would suggest a side trip to Bernhem forest. It closes at dusk, so you would go before dinner or could go after lunch. Off of I-65 at state road 245. About a mile from I-65. Free during the week but only 5.00 per CAR on weekends. Great place.
no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

The depot

by Casey J. » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:18 am

Michelle, The Whistle stop is very good and they have a fantastic French onion soup. They also have a Saturday night special buffet, upstairs. You and your family may also want to consider The Depot, across the street from The Whistle Stop. Chef/Owner Tony loves food and it is evident in every meal. It is by far the most well-crafted dining in the area. The fried green tomatoes are the best I have ever eaten. We eat there at least once a week. The Depot is in a league of it's own in Hardin County dining.
Last edited by Casey J. on Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: Whistle Stop

by Ethan Ray » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:30 am

Steve Shade wrote:
If you go I would suggest a side trip to Bernhem forest. It closes at dusk, so you would go before dinner or could go after lunch. Off of I-65 at state road 245. About a mile from I-65. Free during the week but only 5.00 per CAR on weekends. Great place.

i was just recently alerted to Bernheim. One visit, and i'm serioulsy gonna go at least twice monthly.

Come to think of it... this monday is my trek to Clermont for a hike. :D
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

Re: The depot

by Steve Magruder » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:18 pm

Casey J. wrote:Michelle, The Whistle stop is very good and they have a fantastic French onion soup. They also have a Saturday night special buffet, upstairs. You and your family may also want to consider The Depot, across the street from The Whistle Stop. Chef/Owner Tony loves food and it is evident in every meal. It is by far the most well-crafted dining in the area. The fried green tomatoes are the best I have ever eaten. We eat there at least once a week. The Depot is in a league of it's own in Hardin County dining.

I've been to the Depot, and their food was fantastic! Very nicely appointed tables inside an old train depot.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
no avatar
User

Casey J.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Elizabethtown + Prospect

Dinner

by Casey J. » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:27 pm

We went yesterday evening for a late dinner. It was great. They had two soup du jour, gazpacho and creamed asparagus. We both had the gazpacho and it was garden fresh. They also had a summer vegetable special that was fantastic. It is worth the drive from Louisville.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:25 pm

Thanks everyone! We usually go to Glendale for the Crossings Festival in October, and eating anywhere in Glendale would be impossible during that time. Just wondering if it would be worth the trip during the "off" season. ;) I guess so!