Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Amici

no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

Amici

by MikeG » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:41 am

The girlfriend and I ate at Amici yesterday afternoon. Someone tipped us off that they were serving a vegan pizza so we had to try it. We didnt get the full experience of it as they were out of the faux-sausage but it was very flavorful none the less. We also Gnocchi and some Bruschetta. Didnt get to try the Cannoli on this occasion, will need to sample it on the return visit. Slightly more than we usually pay for dinner but worth it. Service was awesome as well.
no avatar
User

Amy Hoover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:27 pm

Butchertown

by Amy Hoover » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:20 pm

Anyone else eaten here lately? I've never been, but I just looked at the menu on their website, and I must say, among the more mundane things, I saw some things that sound incredibly delicious.

Anyone have any input? Is it a place I should check out?
“Fear less, hope more; Eat less, chew more; Whine less, breathe more; Talk less, say more; Love more, and all good things will be yours”

Swedish Proverb
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:00 am

I went there again last week with a friend from out of town. Said friend wished a location would open in their area.

If you havent been you need to try it out.
no avatar
User

Ashley Dunn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:00 pm

by Ashley Dunn » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:28 pm

I went for lunch last month and honestly wanted to stay right through dinner. :)
no avatar
User

Jeremy Coker

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:09 am

by Jeremy Coker » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:09 pm

I really like Amici and as mentioned earlier the service is great. Plus they have a great Private party space on the 2nd floor that believe it or not used to be a gentlemans club. Next time you are there ask to go upstairs and see it. It is a really neat space. My work had last years holiday party there and it was really nice.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:27 pm

Now I'm confused. We haven't tried most of the Italian places in this town, and were planning on hitting Melillo's, Volare, Proof, and possibly Le Gallo Russo (sp?). And this place looks good as well, and the patio looks like a wonderful place to enjoy a meal or some appetizers and wine. Out of all the Italian places in town, which one would you most recommend? Or is that like asking to pick your favorite child?
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:18 am

Out of your list I would suggest Volare

I like Mellilos and Proof as well, but personally like the overall experience at Volare best.
I would also suggest Porcini
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:25 am

Kim H wrote:Now I'm confused. We haven't tried most of the Italian places in this town, and were planning on hitting Melillo's, Volare, Proof, and possibly Le Gallo Russo (sp?). And this place looks good as well, and the patio looks like a wonderful place to enjoy a meal or some appetizers and wine. Out of all the Italian places in town, which one would you most recommend? Or is that like asking to pick your favorite child?

Don't forget Primo, which may be the best of all from the strict standpoint of authentic Italian regional food and wine. I love Volare, too, and it may be the top "upscale" Italian spot in the city these days. I have a very hard time picking Primo over Volare or Volare over Primo because they're both outstanding but different. I love Melillo's too, but it's a different kind of experience when you want affordable Italian-American comfort food and lots of it. Porcini, as Kurt said, is good, too, and so is Ferd Grisanti in J'town. Vincenzo's can still whip up an impressive dinner on any given day, and Come Back Inn and Ray Parella's also do the inexpensive red-sauce thing well, and Gallo Rosso is also pleasant and neighborly and wins extra points because you can bring your own wine. So you've got lots of choices. But to me, Primo, Volare and Melillo's are the top three, each with a slightly different style.

Proof is fine, but I don't really think of it as an Italian. It's more upscale trendy American with some "Tuscan" touches.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:26 am

Robin Garr wrote:But to me, Primo, Volare and Melillo's are the top three, each with a slightly different style.

Proof is fine, but I don't really think of it as an Italian. It's more upscale trendy American with some "Tuscan" touches.

I realized this morning on the way to work that I meant Primo, not Proof. Different catagory, but I always confuse the 2. I believe the P's and the fact that they're both downtown throw me off. (doesn't take much!)

We love Come Back Inn, but want to try some places where we haven't been. Haven't been to Porcinni's in years, but we'll get back there one day. Thanks all for the input!
no avatar
User

Megan Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:12 pm

scenic Germantown

by Megan Johnson » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:06 pm

and here I was thinking it would probably be best for me to NOT go out to eat tonight.

all this talk of Amici might have changed my mind.

my checking account hates you all!

:D
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:39 pm

Megan Johnson wrote:and here I was thinking it would probably be best for me to NOT go out to eat tonight.

all this talk of Amici might have changed my mind.

my checking account hates you all!

:D

Amici will really make your checkbook scream, but it's oh so worth it.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:51 pm

I'm in the dark: Where is Amici?

Thanks,
Deb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:55 pm

Deb Hall wrote:I'm in the dark: Where is Amici?

316 Ormsby Street, south side near Fourth. Former home of the 316 Ormsby restaurant and before that, Park Avenue Cafe. It's a very pretty red-brick building, and is now run by Scott and Sharon Risinger, formerly of Third Avenue Cafe, who did considerable redecoration when they moved in. It's a good place, great atmosphere and appetizing fare. I don't usually think of it as "Italian," just as "Amici," but it certainly has Italian-style dishes - particularly pastas and pizza - on the menu.