Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

karma cafe and north end-bad service?

no avatar
User

Ellen White

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:00 pm

st. matthews

karma cafe and north end-bad service?

by Ellen White » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:11 pm

I have been to Karma Cafe three times since it has been open, and those times were few and far between. Every time I have been, the service has been terrible. Yesterday, about 5 tables were occupied. There was only one waiter, but it seemed like he should be able to handle it. I waited about 15-20 minutes for him to bring the check. There was no way to disguise that I was ready for it, as all of the food was gone and the plates were stacked up. (Also, the food was really oily, to the point that both plates had more than a sheen of oil on them after the food was gone). This is typical of all of the times I've been there. Maybe this is a place where they encourage you to linger?

North End's service is also usually slow. I have never been for dinner, but, especially at lunch, the service is really slow. Today I got there at 1145 am. I didn't get my food until about 1225, and I didn't get out of the restaurant until almost 1:00. The waitress said that a large party had come in and the kitchen was busy, but if it got that busy, maybe they need more help in the kitchen. Also, that didn't really explain the waitress practically disappearing. I was sitting in the side where the bar is, and it wasn't full. Also, this is a typical experience for me at lunch here. (Their food, however, is really good).

Is it just me, or is this normal for these places?
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:30 am

Whenever we go to Karma Cafe we always have to ask for the check, otherwise they will never bring it! I'm glad to say we've always had good service from the girls in there, and decent food. My kids and I actually tried to stop in there for a late dinner after seeing Harry Potter tonight but were told they had closed early and were getting ready to lock up. Man, I was really craving their French toast and bacon.

So we ended up walking down to Ditto's where I could tell they were none too thrilled to see us (the place was almost empty but still exactly an hour before closing). I wish we had just kept walking and went to Wendy's- the food was not good tonight. That was the most expensive meal I never ate! :?
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

Ditto's

by Bill Veneman » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:57 pm

We went several weeks ago to Ditto's, and I was very disappointed......first off, there were 7 of us, and it was early....but you would have thought that'd I'd asked to be seated on the moon.....the look the hostess gave me made me feel very awkward......then it took her almost 15 minutes to push two tables together.......

It's a cool place, but it's not THAT cool.
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:43 pm

I took my 2 daughters to a late breakfast/brunch at North End. It was, as always, delicious. Our waiter was a real cutie (I sound like a dirty ol woman) from Hungary. He was an excellent waiter and the service was great.I like what they've done with the windows inside there. I miss some of the art work, but it's really cheerful.
no avatar
User

TK Wismer

{ RANK }

Just got here

Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:12 am

by TK Wismer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:34 pm

Thank you for both the positive comments and the constructive criticism. One of the keys to speedy service is organization and we are always working on ways to help servers save steps. This is a constant challenge. We also try to keep food coming out of the kitchen as quickly as possible but from time to time ticket times creep up as a result of our extensive, entirely made from scratch menu, and the steady rush of business. Monday was a busy shift and I regret not personally expediting your table in a more timely manner as I was the manager on duty. My management team and I stress the importance of consistent, friendly, attentive, and hospitable service. Our food is expected to reach the table as quickly as possible without compromising quality. Thank you for the feedback- as always we will strive to do better. The gentleman mentioned in the second comment was working his first serving shift with us and I will pass on the positive feedback!

Thank you for your interest in North End Cafe

T.K. Wismer
General Manager

Tonight is Tapas Tuesday! Five dollar tapas and half price wines!!!!
Friday is Frankfort Avenue Trolly Hop!!!!
Come see us soon.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:37 pm

I've only been to North End for dinners, and we've never had a problem with service being slow (at all). We love the food and the ambience !(especially on the outside patio)

Deb
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

North End

by Heather Y » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:21 am

Was there the other night... food was good.

One criticism..... change the drinkware from plastic to glass?

If there are dishes on the menu for $25, then I think that dinnerware should have that reflection. On this particular night, we did not drink wine, and went for iced tea.... I still would have like to drink from glass.

There are cloth napkins.....go the extra step.
no avatar
User

David B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:38 am

by David B » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:59 am

I always have great service at the North End, perhaps it's because our server always remembers my wife as the 'peanut butter lady' because she likes peanut butter on her pancakes....
no avatar
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:06 am

I love the North End. The service generally is fine except when Phoenix is our server and then the service is awesome! We'll miss her while she's in Europe.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:33 am

This thread is classic. I love it when North End comes up on this board... LOVE IT!