Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Avalon

User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

Avalon

by Amy A » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:08 pm

My husband and I once loved this restaurant dearly. Then they went through more changes than a child going through puberty, which may be just what happened to them.

We went there for dinner this evening, and it seems they did grow up.

I loved their new menu. Even though it was similar to old ones, there was just the right amount of diversity.

We skipped appetizers and started with their field green salad with green goddess dressing. (Always a staple at Avalon, although, the dressing was right on tonight!)

I ordered their beer and chili braised short rib. It was nestled in a mound of herb seasoned mashed potatoes, with mixed vegetables (fresh snapped green beans, red onions, red and yellow peppers) and some wonderful pan juices. Everything was perfectly proportioned. The ribs were juicy, tender, and sublimely flavored. I thought my husband was going to arm wrestle me for it. I am glad he didn't!

He ordered their new pasta dish, penne, chorizo sausage, chicken, red onions, and a spicy cream sauce. I must say that it was quite tasty. Just the right kick of heat in the sauce, and no single ingredient over-powering.

We sipped on some cocktails from the bar.

Then finished off with a couple of desserts, creme brulee and their signature fried cheesecake. Both were fantastic.

Other notable things:

For the first time in a couple of years we had fantastic service. This seemed to carry down the chain of command. Friendly, polite hostesses. Efficient and knowledgeable server. Server's assistants properly doing their job. Management making everyone feel welcomed.

It was honestly like walking into a new place. I can't wait till it gets warm again and I can go sit outside and try all the things I didn't order this time.

I hope they keep it up.
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

by RebeccaWebb » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:29 pm

Avalon is in good hands ...

Chip (Nathan Carlson's long time sous chef) is now the executive chef and Brad (Daniel Stage's/Le Relais sous chef) is the sous chef. They should make an excellent team.
Rebecca Phillips Webb