Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Dairy queen

by Doogy R » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:48 pm

Heather Y wrote:Is that the property behind Dairy Queen and goodwill!

jeez, is nothing sacred anymore?

That would be correct. Scary to think about the traffic. It's already terrible through there.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Midlands Project

by Kim H » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:15 am

I had NO idea about this project, but you are absolutely right - THIS is the one to be nervous about where traffic is concerened. I haven't had time to read how they plan to truly handle traffic in the area yet, but for current residents, it doesn't sound good, no matter how much they have input they seem to have. But I'm undereducated on the project, and too tired to learn right now.

Part of it is that I'm already adjusting to new traffic patterns. I lived in the Highlands for years, and took a mini trek to lower Trevillian, turned left, and I was on the expressway. Took me 2 mins most days. Now it's a crap shoot on which route to take, and it can still be almost half my commute just to get to the expressway, the other half of the commute is to get to the other side of the county. 5 miles = 20 mins, 20 miles = 20 mins. Irritating. And if you can't leave work before 5, forget it. I usually wait til 5:30 or 6 (with that same 20 mile commute), and will still sit at that Brownsboro exit for a good 15 mins on a good day. Just not wanting more trafic in this area. I'll try and keep updated
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Prospect

Fresh Market

by Heather Y » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:16 pm

The deal between and Fresh Market has to be a DONE deal for sure... the gentleman who represented FM gave if not a lackluster then an extremely dull introduction of the store. He showed slides of the different departments, and said they have the best of this and that. Yawn.

I guess he was briefed that the people were mostly concerned with traffic, and he could give us free groceries for a year, and we still wouldn't hear what he had to say.

Now when the traffic engineer started his schpiel... our ears perked up, and rightly so. I am all for a Fresh Market, but the traffic from Hubbards and brownsboro right through to Seminary (including 22) will be a nightmare.

The new developments which are Midlands, the project across from Ballard H.S. , and the Fresh Market is going to create a mess.

The traffic guy told us there would be 400 additional trips in and out of the FM parking lot then he said it would be 400 per hour.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW EXACTLY WHAT HE MEANT?
I left because it was too confusing, and noisy.

So it will be a FM, and "specialty retail" ( not enough parking for a Panera bread) they kept mentioning Starbucks! There is one 1/2 mile away! Somebody needs to call these folks and tell them there should be a Heine Bros, Java brewing, etc.!

And will someone please tell me why we need another bank?
I don't even bank at the two that are on that corner.
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Reminds me of the time..

by Jon K » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:33 am

The developer of Seminary Woods said in a public meeting that the traffic at Seminary and 42 wouldn't get worse because the owners were rich people who live in Florida half the year and don't get up early while they are in Louisville. We are not talking about a highly evolved species when we discuss real estate developers and their hired "experts". FM will be welcome, but the traffic will be a pain.
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Midland web site - stinks

by Doug W » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:13 am

Okay - I've tried to view the website. I've had to turn the sound off on my PC to avoid the very annoying background music. The flow of pictures and not having the option to skip it just stinks.

Now, the site is telling me to choose from buttons on the left to navigate, except there are no buttons there.

At least I've still got the cheesy techno background noise...

Uggh.

Doug W.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Brownsboro Traffic

by Kim H » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:42 am

Thank you for the update, Heather!

I wasn't aware of the Midlands project until I saw Doogy's post. THAT concerns me far more than the traffic from Fresh Market, etc., but combined???? Wow. I don't want to imagine the traffic.

It sounds like a lot of people are pretty excited about the Midlands project, and it might look interesting to me if it wasn't in my back yard. Ok, I know I sound like 'one of those'. But I recently moved to this area when we got married, and am spoiled by my old Highlands location. I went down my little curvy road, right on lower Trevillian, left onto Newburg and I was at the expressway in 2 minutes for 2 miles. Generally not much traffic, and my biggest frustration was finding myself behind a garbage or recycle truck. So 15 mins to go 3.5 miles is frustrating, and that's to get TO work. Sitting through multiple cycles of the light at Brownsboro on the way home is also irritating. If I can't get out before 5, I'll generally work until 5:30 or 6, and still have to wait through a few lights most times. And that is beFORE we talk about all this 'progress'.

I'm not a very patient person when it comes to traffic, and would rather take a longer, moving route than a shorter route that stands still. But I'd rather not have to take the Snyder to get to work either, especially with gas prices. And the Snyder is only convenient for outlying areas, so Brownsboro is inevitable travel for us.

Question - does anyone have any updates on the expansion of 264 from the St. Mathews exit to beyond the Brownsboro exit? Another lane would help that traffic issue. Also, what is the latest on the Westport Rd. exit from 264? And I haven't read in depth yet, but I am unclear on the traffic circle they are talking about at the Midlands project. Some serious traffic management needs to happen before I will welcome any of these new projects. Oh, but I forgot. Those rich old people in Seminary Woods will be absent any time the rest of us want to go somewhere, so that's a plus. :wink:
Previous