Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Papa Johns commercial features Sullivan students

by Steve P » Sun May 30, 2010 9:12 pm

So I'm watching the NASCAR race this evening and a commercial comes on for Pappa Johns...and there on my TV is a smiling John Schattner ("Pappa" himself), on the set of "Secrets of Louisville Chef's" along with Tim Laird and some little girl spreading pizza sauce on a Pappa Johns pizza crust...The commercial ends with members of the audience each hoisting a piece of Pappa John's Pizza and chanting whatever this months ad slogan is.

Hmmmmmm.....a sellout ?
Last edited by Steve P on Sun May 30, 2010 11:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

Re: Sullivan University Sells Out in Pappa Johns Commercial

by Mark Head » Sun May 30, 2010 9:56 pm

Maybe they'll change the name of the school to Papa John's Culinary Institute? I'm sure they got a donation.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sun May 30, 2010 10:33 pm

Made me uncomfotrable too.

Yet, there are market forces- and I'd rather locals make it big on the 'chain' thing, than foreigners. Then thier money comes here!

Quirky, but true. My bud Mel, is thier PR (blah-blah, I don't take notes) That money stays right here. She's a forumite and avid foodie. To the point that I lent her and Tom my only copy of Larousse's 'Gastronomique-' my bible, so to speak.

Yeah, Tim and Co. seemed to sellout on this one.. yet the money comes home. A devil's trade? Or an Angel's bargain?

I'm so twisted on this subject, I just don't know what to decide...
Last edited by Stephen D on Mon May 31, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun May 30, 2010 11:20 pm

How did Tim get tied in with Sullivan? Unless he has left Brown Forman I would think him being in the advertisement would also be a problem from that respect. It seems like Papa is trying anything to sell pizzas these days.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Did Sullivan University Sell Out in Pappa Johns Commercial ?

by Steve P » Sun May 30, 2010 11:42 pm

Original post edited to remove presumptuous tone.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Mon May 31, 2010 4:06 am

Mark R. wrote:How did Tim get tied in with Sullivan? Unless he has left Brown Forman I would think him being in the advertisement would also be a problem from that respect. It seems like Papa is trying anything to sell pizzas these days.

Secrets of Louisville Chefs is produced at Sullivan but not by Sullivan. Papa John was the guest chef on one of the programs and was rather extroverted.. I am sure there is some tie in with Sullivan as Sullivan students produce the food that the audience has after the shows. Tim also usually has a drink segment and most all of the products are Brown Forman.

Hotbytes Marsha L will be a guest chef July 24. Taping begins at 10:00. Be early. Sometimes the room gets full. Two shows will be taped and usually over about noon.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Prospect

by Mark Head » Mon May 31, 2010 8:18 am

When Alton Brown starts pushing Papa John's (and I expect him too any day now), we'll know the "new world order" has taken hold. Remember Padma and Hardee's?
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Mon May 31, 2010 9:14 am

Sullivan is a for-profit business, isn't it? Why wouldn't they shill for Papa John's if there is money in it?
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon May 31, 2010 9:35 am

Mark Head wrote:When Alton Brown starts pushing Papa John's (and I expect him too any day now), we'll know the "new world order" has taken hold. Remember Padma and Hardee's?

Funny! :lol:
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Mon May 31, 2010 10:33 am

Clay Cundiff wrote:Sullivan is a for-profit business, isn't it? Why wouldn't they shill for Papa John's if there is money in it?

Clay,

Now that I've had time to ponder it, I suppose that would be my "take" as well...My initial reaction to the commercial was something of an "Oh my God they've sold out to the evil chain" gut level response that most of us have experienced at one time or other. That reaction has mellowed into something of an "ehhhh, what the hell, it's no big deal" attitude. Like someone else implied, they probably got a nice little donation to the school, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

BTW...judging from a P.M I received apparently at least one person felt this post was an attempt to bash Sullivan. That was certainly not my intention.
no avatar
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Mon May 31, 2010 10:52 am

Steve P wrote:
Clay Cundiff wrote:Sullivan is a for-profit business, isn't it? Why wouldn't they shill for Papa John's if there is money in it?

Clay,

Now that I've had time to ponder it, I suppose that would be my "take" as well...My initial reaction to the commercial was something of an "Oh my God they've sold out to the evil chain" gut level response that most of us have experienced at one time or other. That reaction has mellowed into something of an "ehhhh, what the hell, it's no big deal" attitude. Like someone else implied, they probably got a nice little donation to the school, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

BTW...judging from a P.M I received apparently at least one person felt this post was an attempt to bash Sullivan. That was certainly not my intention.

Blah, blah. The person who sent you that does all thier work in PM. Ghey. Bring it out here, where the light can shine...

Truth be told, we all know what you meant. You weren't slamming Sullivan, you were making a broader, more comprehensive statement that paired with Robin's Alton Brown thread. Or not. I dunno- it's just the way it read, to me.

Everyone here should know that Sullivan has one of the finest culinary programs in the country. The line forms to the left. They no longer have to prove themselves. They simply have to keep producing great talent...

My coppers
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Mon May 31, 2010 11:22 am

Stephen D wrote:
Steve P wrote:
Everyone here should know that Sullivan has one of the finest culinary programs in the country. The line forms to the left. They no longer have to prove themselves. They simply have to keep producing great talent...

My coppers

No doubt about that Stephen...MOF we have an acquaintance in northern Ohio who chose to attend Sullivan next year over several other well known schools.
no avatar
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:27 pm

I didn't post on this thread over the weekend as I wanted to confirm the facts before reporting (what a wild thought, huh?).

As I suspected, and I confirmed this morning - Sullivan didn't take any money from John Schnatter for that commercial. Not one thin dime. All we do is provide the venue for the filming, and some students to assist whoever the guest chef is. We are not the production company, as Steve Shade has already pointed out.

Nope, no money changed hands between Sullivan and Papa John's AT ALL. One of the reasons we were excited for the students to interact with Mr. Schnatter is that he brought along his state-of-the-art pizza semi trailer, equipped with two conveyor pizza ovens and all the necessary equipment to produce pizzas - up to four pizzas per minute - at any remote location. You see, we're a school. A learning institution. And we like to expose our students to a lot of different things that can't all be found within our building. Imagine that.

So....I'd like to suggest we change the Fox-News-esque title of this thread one more time. How about "Sullivan University did NOT sell out to Papa John's"? :roll:
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:36 pm

Marsha L. wrote:So....I'd like to suggest we change the Fox-News-esque title of this thread one more time. How about "Sullivan University did NOT sell out to Papa John's"? :roll:

I think the OP was mainly just spoofing my post about Alton Brown and Cargill (Big Salt), but you're right, Marsha, it creates a poor impression. I'll take the liberty of changing the top of the thread to something more neutral.
no avatar
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Prospect

Re: Papa Johns commercial features Sullivan students

by Mark Head » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:32 pm

I think Sullivan's culinary program deserves and has the respect of just about everyone; however, Papa John's is a big visable target who wil get poked from time to time. U of L has the stadium name all tied up anyway.
Next