Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Milano Cafe

no avatar
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

Milano Cafe

by Carolyne Davis » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:43 pm

On the way to work this morning I prepared an eloquent post in my head gently reminding the small restaurant owner the importance of continuity along with a few other things like - are you a restaurant or a bar, please don't serve hot browns if you don't know how to make them properly, please don't serve rancid food, please have enough staff to serve the guests, small things along those lines. However, I have been quite busy today and so the post is being shortened.
I had purchased a gift certificate from restaurant.com to Milano Cafe and we decided to give it a try last night. Note to anyone else having such certificates - if you wait too long to use them, you will be dining on typical bar food instead of Italian. We were informed that they are changing their menu to reflect more what the "Baxter Ave Scene" is demanding. Their words, not mine.
Our first impression, upon entering was an air of mixed signals. It looks like a bar even including tall tables at which to stand (no chairs), but has a menu that reads like Primo. We were told to sit anywhere and after a ten minute wait, figured that the only person working front of the house was the bartender. So, we moved to the bar. I wanted iced tea and my other half ordered a beer. We made our decisions and started to order. It was explained to us that, since the menu was changing in a few days, they were out of salads. They actually told us were could get the Caprese, but they were out of basil! (REALLY!?!?!?!) So, we ordered an aspargus risotto to split, I got chicken alfredo with tagliatelle pasta and Gordy got the swordfish with shrimp penne. We were brought a basket of fresh, slightly warm bread (soft, rather boring) served with rock hard butter pats. All three dishes came out pretty quickly. I had to ask the server to take the alfredo back to the kitchen to be heated up and we sent the asparagus back because it tasted like vomit (I am NOT making this up!) The swordfish dish was actually quite tasty and the alfredo was ok. There was not one single solitary piece of adornment on the plates. My alfredo literally had chicken. pasta and sauce. That's all!
While eating we talked to the bartender/server who showed us the upcoming menu. I took this opportunity to ask him if the intention was for the place to be a restaurant or a bar. He said more of a bar. A lengthy discussion ensued regarding the liquor laws for that area. I was looking over the proposed new mwnu and noticed that they were adding a hot brown (with cheddar cheese - ugh!) I asked him if he was from Louisville - yes he replied. So, I begged him to at least make it as close to the original as possible - use parm, not cheddar! He acquiesced and changed the menu. I did suggest the substitution of pancetta for bacon to make it more Italian! He also mentioned that the owners were getting ready to open another place on Shelbyville Road out past Hurstbourne called Da Vinci's. I wish them luck, but it seems more intelligent to make sure what you have is finely tuned before starting something else. Anyway, we took home an order of lasagne to try and we might give them another shot after the new menu gets broken in, but all in all, not impressed. :?
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:22 pm

Rats! I got a certificate since its right around the corner from the house. Just what Baxter needs - another bar (hopping off soapbox now)! I guess we will get in there this week...

MissChele
MissChele
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Milano Cafe

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:15 pm

So, how was it?

I was browsing the Restaurants.com site and saw their listing but couldn't recall the place. Did the search on the Forum (Thanks Robin!!!!) and found this thread that I had forgotten I had read... (Senior moment?).

Anyway, anyone have an update on this place?

Thanks,
Deb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Milano Cafe

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:27 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Anyway, anyone have an update on this place?

Caveat: I have not eaten here yet. We dropped by before the no-smoking ordinance too place and found a smoky bar scene that didn't look, act or feel much like a restaurant. Someone reported on the forum, I think, that after the ordinance came in, they changed over from Italian to pub grub, citing customer demand.

This seemed a little surprising since the Lentini's guys are so committed to Italian (and I can't wait to check out their Da Vinci in Middletown). But my sense is that this is basically just a dark Baxter strip saloon. I hope I'm mistaken, but I think I'll wait for reports before I go back myself.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Milano Cafe is GONE

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:03 pm

Or so I'm reliably informed by one of Food & Dining's Men On The Street, who tells me the door is unlocked because there's nothing inside tonight: The place has been stripped down to the bare walls.
no avatar
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:15 pm

sad to see but i knew it was coming.
We went in there a month ago and met the Italian chef (Marcelo). I used to live in Turin Italy so it was nice to speak the lingo again. The place was empty.
I had the minestrone & gnocci alla bolognese. It was fantastic.
Marcelo is the man.
Sad to see this one burn out so quickly.
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:18 pm

What a shame!

Thanks for the update,
Deb
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:31 pm

I hope no one got burned buying a restaurant.com certificate for them. I tnink i may slip over there and see if there is a reporting mechanism. Hopefully the chef moved on to Davinci.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:03 pm

The coupons are still for sale as of this afternoon.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:47 pm

Suzi Bernert wrote:I hope no one got burned buying a restaurant.com certificate for them. I tnink i may slip over there and see if there is a reporting mechanism. Hopefully the chef moved on to Davinci.

I bought a certificate from Restaurant.com some time ago. Don't remember the place, but it closed. Contacted restaurant.com and they replaced with another place, which we used.
no avatar
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

GC

by TanyaD » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:25 am

Dang! I just got one for there since restaurant.com was having a 70% off sale! I guess I'll have to contact them for a replacement, but they should quit selling them if the freaking place is closed! :evil:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: GC

by Robin Garr » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:36 am

TanyaD wrote:Dang! I just got one for there since restaurant.com was having a 70% off sale! I guess I'll have to contact them for a replacement, but they should quit selling them if the freaking place is closed! :evil:

Talk to Lentini's. Since Lentini owned this place (and the new Da Vinci in Middletown), they may very well be willing to honor Milano's coupons at the other restaurants.
no avatar
User

Michele Cull

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 am

Original Highlands

by Michele Cull » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:52 am

Well, I didn't get to use my certificate either. Thanks for the info about trading it in for another.

MissChele
MissChele
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:02 am

In fairness to Restaurants.com, I'm sure they have no idea that Milano Cafe has closed. There is no way they could keep track of all those restaurants nationwide.

It will be interesting however, to see how fast (or not) it gets pulled from the list now that one of us has notified them.

Deb