Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Coffee Beans

no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Coffee Beans

by Carol C » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:18 pm

Our son-in-law is coming to Louisville in a few weeks and is a real coffee connoisseur. We’d like suggestions for some full bodied, flavorful beans since Bob and I not discerning coffee drinkers. We have tried Consumer Choice, Sangeros, Café Classico and Peets all which have been very good. The problem is that there are so many choices among the different brands and only so much time to try them. We would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions you might have for specific beans. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:39 pm

My feeling as I am a coffee lover is that I enjoy any good coffee.

Locals that roast their own that are readily available are Sunergos (excellent), Heine (excellent and unique), Atomic (never tried) and Jackson's (never tried).

I would ask your company what types of coffee and roasts that they like so you can get something that they like.

If they aren't picky, just go to a couple of the places listed above, get a medium roast and a dark roast. Ask the baristas what they recomend or what their best sellers are and you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

ps. ask them to grind the beans for you if you don't have a grinder.
no avatar
User

Greg Gapsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:37 pm

Hills of So. Indiana

Coffee, kaffe, cafe, Java, Joe

by Greg Gapsis » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:02 pm

As a great dark roast, Sunergos' organic Sumatra does it for me, and has been for the better part of a year.
no avatar
User

Greg Gapsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:37 pm

Hills of So. Indiana

Coffee--the good stuff

by Greg Gapsis » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:09 pm

ps. ask them to grind the beans for you if you don't have a grinder.[/quote]

Since you say your son is a connoiseur, he probably will want whole beans, which can develop as they stay reasonably fresh in an air-tight bag, that he can grind just before brewing. If you don't have a grinder, tell him to pack his or you can pick one up locally for about $20.
no avatar
User

Rod R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:39 pm

by Rod R » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:11 pm

I believe Heine Brothers' just received the Best of Louisville award. Might be worth a consideration.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:15 pm

Jackson's Organic is the best to me!! Great folks consistently turning out excellent coffee!
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:35 pm

I really don't find any difference in getting my beans ground and grinding at home. Because of that and since it is much more convenient I get them ground at the shop and store in the fridge.
no avatar
User

amy lyons

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Highlands

by amy lyons » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:43 pm

Brian Curl wrote:I really don't find any difference in getting my beans ground and grinding at home. Because of that and since it is much more convenient I get them ground at the shop and store in the fridge.

I was always told that putting coffee beans or ground in the fridge was not good for the product. It's not cold enough to keep it from going stale and the coffee can and will pick up flavours and odors from other foods.
"All I ask of food is that it doesn't harm me."
Michael Palin
no avatar
User

amy lyons

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Highlands

by amy lyons » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:45 pm

Brian Curl wrote:I really don't find any difference in getting my beans ground and grinding at home. Because of that and since it is much more convenient I get them ground at the shop and store in the fridge.

I was always told that putting coffee beans or ground in the fridge was not good for the product. It's not cold enough to keep it from going stale and the coffee can and will pick up flavours and odors from other foods.
"All I ask of food is that it doesn't harm me."
Michael Palin
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:53 pm

I've heard that too but I keep about 3-4 different varieties at all times and they stay in there for quite a while. Never any problems for me with taste.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:58 pm

easy . . . Sunergos.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:11 pm

oh, I do wrap the bags up that the come in really good with reynolds wrap
no avatar
User

brian s

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:56 pm

Louisville KY

coffee

by brian s » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:14 pm

I second Sunnergos. Get whole bean and grind is as used, it really does make a difference. Ground coffee lasts about 3 days. Unless you plan to drink a bag in that time frame, it makes more sense to me to grind it and enjoy it for weeks.
b
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:43 pm

Sunergos, Jackson's Organic, the Blue mountain they sell at BMCH. All are mighty fine IMO.
no avatar
User

David Lange

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 am

Louisville

Coffee Beans Info

by David Lange » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:59 pm

First of all storage of coffee is very important. Whether it be whole bean or ground, NEVER store your coffee in the refrigerator or freezer. Coffee is very fragile and very absorbant and will pick up every flavor in the refrigerator, and the extreme temperatures in the freezer will affect the oils in the coffee. Plus it will be susceptible to freezer burn

If you can get a grinder, (burr not blade) it will greatly enhance your coffee. And only purchase enough coffee for about a week. Keep the coffee fresh.

Also make sure wherever you purchase your coffee, they "de-gas" the coffee for at least 5 days. After roasting, coffee gives off carbon dioxide gas for some time and that greatly effects the coffee taste profile.

Also not all coffees have to be roasted dark to be good. Many of the individual taste characteristics are overwhelmed by overroasting, so I'd advise purhaps purchasing small amounts of several and making your own "custom blend" Just enjoy good coffee.
David Lange
" Life's too short to drink bad coffee"
Next