Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Enso Restaurant will replace Ostra

by Rich S » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:12 am

Enso Restaurant is applying for a liquor license to open at 1758 Frankfort Ave., where Ostra used to be. I don’t know any details about it, except it’s owned by the same people who own North of Bourbon. Considering all the praise for North of Bourbon, I have high hopes for Enso.

The original renovation plans for this building referred to the new restaurant as Minami, which sounds like a Japanese restaurant to me. I guess those plans changed.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Enso Restaurant will replace Ostra

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:54 am

I liked North of Bourbon quite a bit, and that's a nice little space, so this definitely sounds worth watching!

I think Enso is still Japanese, by the way. Zen, specifically.
https://modernzen.org/enso-htm/
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I think Enso is still Japanese, by the way. Zen, specifically.

You are correct. Some details from Business First (story is behind paywall):

A new restaurant blending cuisine from Japan and the Southern United States is coming to the Clifton neighborhood this fall.
Ensō is a new concept from the team behind North of Bourbon, which opened in Germantown in 2021. It will be located at 1756 Frankfort Ave., across from the Silver Dollar.
North of Bourbon was founded by the husband-and-wife team of Stacy and Daniel Holyfield along with brothers Eric and Brad Jennings. Chef Lawrence Weeks, a fellow with the Southern Foodways Alliance, has served as an executive chef since the restaurant opened.
Weeks told Business First in a recent interview that he will be a partner in Ensō, which will focus on Southern cuisine with Japanese influences in ingredients and techniques. But he added that customers should not expect to find sushi and miso soup at the new restaurant.
"We're trying to make it clear that it's not a traditional Japanese restaurant," Weeks explained. "We're taking elements of Japanese and Southern foods. So, you might get an okra and tomato dish that looks like a Japanese dish. But it tastes like something my mom used to make." ...

Weeks' parents spent time in Japan, and he said Ensō was inspired by his love of the country's art and cuisine. He plans to draw parallels between Japanese and African American dishes, weaving together the similarities and bringing them to life on the plate.
"I also saw a lot of cultural parallels with Japanese and African American or African food — like rice is big in both of cultures," Weeks said. "It just felt right for me to kind of play off of the Southern aspects North of Bourbon and my love Japanese food. It is not fusion or anything. It's just a parallel tradition."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:54 pm

I'll definitely try it, although I still get a little bit of heartburn when restaurant planners frame Louisville - particularly the blue-voting zones in the urban area - as "Southern." :twisted: