Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Your go-to place

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Your go-to place

by Carla G » Tue May 30, 2023 8:26 pm

Is it me or did Covid screw up everyone’s dining habits over and above the usual “everyone just stay at home and eat or get carry out “ mandates? Now that things have eased up, people are pretty much vaccinated and folks are dining out with a bit more frequency, are you going back to your go to restaurant , the one that offers you your comfort zone and a familiar menu? Or….did it close? It seems that diners are wandering around wondering “Where do I eat now?” Or maybe that’s just me. What’s your go to place?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Your go-to place

by Robin Garr » Wed May 31, 2023 8:27 am

Great question, Carla! For me, part of the problem is that some of my go-to places didn't survive the pandemic. Harvest, Decca, Rye ... Those were three of the places that I went back to even when I wasn't reviewing. All in NuLu, too. The neighborhood really took a hit, and with all respect, three new Ole Group places and a downtown branch of Cafe Lou Lou might be welcome in their own way, but it's sure a style change. Maybe it's bourbonism, and all the tourists don't want fancy upscale but something to sop up booze?

Harrumph.

Anyway, one change for me is that my budget still hasn't fully recovered. I've been happy to get back to some of my surviving favorites - Seviche and Anoosh Bistro - and I'm saving up for Volare. On the lower end, I still love all the taquerias and Indian and Asian places that I used to love, and some new ones too. Maybe now more than ever now that I'm looking for cheap eats even more often.

I'm not sure if I've answered your question, but I love the question (and might borrow it for a story eventually). I'll be curious to see what others say.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed May 31, 2023 8:54 am

Nope. You honed in on exactly what I was wondering. Personally, Irish Rover has always been my go to. The food is very good and I love their fish sandwich but the “autism” in me appreciates the lighting and the ability to find a table tucked away and alone. Happy it’s still around but would like to spread my dollars (as meager as they are) around a bit as well. Other ideas from anyone?
no avatar
User

Terri Beam

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:26 pm

by Terri Beam » Wed May 31, 2023 10:20 am

My go-to places that have closed or changed:

Hibachi-Sushi Buffet on Bardstown Road in Fern Creek: Sometimes I just want a buffet, despite it not being the best Chinese food.
Ryan's: Laugh if you will. The food was boring, tolerable at best and gross at worst, but when I needed meat and vegetables or a breakfast buffet, it was a mile from my house, easy peasy. I am not a fan of Rooster's that moved in to that location.
Goose Creek Diner: I'm big mad about them moving and likely changing a portion of their menu (see other thread on here).
Royals: Now that they've gone from multiple locations to just one downtown, they're off my list.

I've replaced the Chinese buffets with others like Yoki and King Buffet. Yoki has been slipping of late. King Buffet just opened so they're still kind of on their toes.

Milantoni is still my favorite cheap Italian in town. They've done major upgrades on the building since the pandemic began. Milano out in Mt. Washington is also a favorite when we aren't interested in rush hour Hurstbourne traffic. Yummy Pollo and Carali's are still handling my Peruvian chicken and yuca fries obsession. New Wave Burrito is a fave that hasn't seemed to change, although maybe they were open for lunch before the pandemic?

I've acquired a a few new favorites since 2019. Grassa Gramma and La Bodeguita De Mima have been added to our list for upscale/expensive meals.

I need some new go-to places for soul food/home cooking because, as I've said on this forum multiple times, Fern Creek has a dearth of that sort of restaurant. I really haven't had the energy to drive over to Dixie or the west end for a while now (stupid chronic pain/fatigue). Much like businesses seem to believe only east enders need Publix, they apparently believe that only west/south enders want soul food.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Wed May 31, 2023 9:42 pm

We returned to dining out only because we needed a mid-week break from cooking. To say it's been a mixed bag is probably optimistic. I have a list of 10 places we've gone to more than once since September. Of these, only 3 stand out, because we've received consistent, excellent service:

Coals
Bravo
Mussel & Burger Bar (J-Town, haven't been to the Downtown version since pre-Covid)

I'm not going to out anyone for bad service or food but the list is long.
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:18 pm

Goose Creek Diner! And my family ate carryout from there numerous times during the pandemic!

Ling Lings is another. Several go-tos have closed (Yang Kee Noodle and Aspen Creek).
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

by Laura SS » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:15 pm

Ours has been Dragon King's Daughter for many years. The food is always fabulous, the specials are inventive, and they've only gotten better and better since the move to their current, larger digs. We were there from some of their earliest opening days, they carried us through COVID, and we hope to be with them for as long as they run. It's both a wonderful place to celebrate and a good place to bring your spirits up when you're low. In a town full of great restaurants, it's among the tops for us.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:34 pm

Here are my go-to places over the past couple of years:

Supermercado Guanajuato
Taquero Mucho
La Lupita
Cafe Thuy Van
A Chao
Dong Phuong
Dalat’s
Jasmine Chinese Cuisine
Syrian Grill
Bodega Mi Sueno (the one by Target)
Eden and Kissi
Wiltshire Pantry
Monnik
Toasty’s
Holy Grale
Gravely
Noble Funk
Lupo
Game
Red Hog
Mayan Cafe
Wiltshire on Market
The Fat Lamb
Seviche

If Decades is anywhere as good as Decca was, it’ll probably be on that list, too. I am hoping to try Volare sometime this year — the fish they get always looks so fantastic.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:32 pm

Great list, Iggy! I like all of those ...
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:22 am

My go-to places are pretty standard. Haucks or Four Pegs for a work lunch (assuming I don't want Dairy Kastle) and I've spent a lot of time getting pretty much everything on the menu at the revamped Spring Street Bar & Grill because it's so close to my house and very well executed bar food.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:55 pm

Ron, those sound like legitimate go-to decisions to me!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:10 am

So I followed the lead of Ron H and went to Four Pegs for their Sunday Brunch. It was fantastic! The atmosphere is simply 1930s neighborhood bar with lots of dark wood. There’s outdoor dining when it’s warmer. Staff is very knowledgeable, friendly and efficient. Dining crowd was friendly annd having a lovely time. Enjoyed a luscious Bloody Mary and a Monte Cristo with fried potatoes. It’s kinda like - “ OK, here’s some pub grub. Now, smoke this joint until you get the munchies so bad you think you’re going to fly. ( Not that I would recommend that) Now taste your food.” The marriage of all the flavors from every contributing ingredient was utterly satisfying. The bourbon bacon jam was delicious and our table spent much of our time trying to figure out how to make it. The only disappointment was that it was a limited menu because it was brunch. There were so many other tempting options we wanted to try. Soooo…we will just have to go back. Highly recommend a trip to this place. Don’t, however, tell your cardiologist.
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:54 am

Carla G wrote:There were so many other tempting options we wanted to try.

There are still menu items I've never had there, and Chris is about to expand/revamp the menu when their renovations are done. As it is, if they have a special, get the special. Otherwise, four wings and a cup of chili is a great lunch.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg