Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Bardstown Rd. comings and goings

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:55 am

On a recent morning walk, I noticed that the former Stout is now home to Faces Bar/Bistro. A little internet digging revealed that this is the new venture from Eric Morris, of Gospel Bird and Hull & High Water fame. The Facebook photos look intriguing and I was a fan of Hull & High Water (never made it Gospel Bird, sadly), so I'll definitely swing by there soon for a pick-up.
Across the street and down a couple blocks, I noticed that the new El Mundo now sports an "Opening Soon" sign taped to the window. I always liked the layout of that spot, whether as Asiatique or Flavor, so I'm really looking forward to enjoying that menu in a slightly less funky atmosphere (not that there's anything wrong with funky, except in certain contexts).
Sadly, on the other end of the spectrum, I was sad to see Cozy Kitchen close up shop. I had hoped they would be able to hang on, especially since their take-out business model seemed well suited for the times. I'll miss their mac and cheese and various casseroles.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Bardstown Rd. comings and goings

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:01 pm

Yeah, I've been following Faces. Eric has been doing an extended soft opening but expects to launch with his full menu in a couple of weeks ... July 14, if I remember correctly. Looks like very interesting stuff.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Re: Bardstown Rd. comings and goings

by SilvioM » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:54 pm

I went to Faces once, really good. I had a fine chicken sandwich, can now see the Gospel Bird connection. The prices are good too, side included with each $12 or so sandwich, so I'll be back. They are not tapping the drafts until they can be at full capacity.

Very glad to hear about El Mundo -- that spot has taken some hits in recent years, but I think El has a lot of area fans and should do well. I think that, along with the (lesser, imo) Noche might be one reason why Migos made the switch to the Hammerheads format.