Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Christina Firriolo

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Re: Who's doing takeout, curbside, or delivery? Spread the w

by Christina Firriolo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:12 pm

We got carry out at La Cocina De Mama tonight. (the one on Westport Road) :)
"Wine is sunlight, held together by water!" ~Galileo Gallilei
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:12 am

Don't know if it's been mentioned here or not, but Anoosh is publishing a cookbook through his charitable foundation, which is available for preorder:
https://eatwelllovelife.org/

I like Noosh Nosh's approach for carryout, it seems to be tailored towards minimizing staffing and inventory needs by limiting ordering and pickup hours as well as limiting the menu.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:58 pm

Oishii Sushi - I am a member of a FB group that posted the owner lives in their neighborhood and that they are struggling during these times...I hit them up for a carry out Thursday night...just as good as being there. We can't let this one go under...best in town IMHO.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:19 pm

Here's a crowd-sourcing effort to which restaurants in Louisville (and many other cities) can add their contact and takeout/delivery information:
https://www.diningatadistance.com/louisville-ky
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Here's a crowd-sourcing effort to which restaurants in Louisville (and many other cities) can add their contact and takeout/delivery information:
https://www.diningatadistance.com/louisville-ky

Excellent - thanks Robin.
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:14 pm

I'm not going to name names, but I'm seeing and hearing that a lot of restaurants seem to be doing the take-out thing wrong. People placing orders in person and not calling ahead plus kitchens running behind, causing people to congregate inside and wait for their orders. I understand the difficult situation our beloved restaurants are in, but I think curbside and delivery only are probably the safest options given that backups will sometimes occur.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:23 pm

I'm reading that, in other cities, many restaurants are giving up on the take-out idea due to health risks to their customers and their employees.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:42 pm

It's a tough balance, TP. I know restaurants want to stay open for takeout for many strong reasons: Survival and service and jobs for at least some of their staff. But I know that if has to be sacrificed for the public good in this pandemic, that's what we'll have to do. ;(
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:35 pm

Robin Garr wrote:It's a tough balance, TP. I know restaurants want to stay open for takeout for many strong reasons: Survival and service and jobs for at least some of their staff. But I know that if has to be sacrificed for the public good in this pandemic, that's what we'll have to do. ;(

Absolutely understand the need to keep folks employed. Surely wasn’t advocating otherwise, just “reporting.”
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:55 pm

Fully understood, TP. Just engaging in the conversation. :)
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:17 am

It might be good to get some wontons in the coming days.

https://www.whas11.com/article/news/loc ... 3209cf8550
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:53 am

Robin Garr wrote:Fully understood, TP. Just engaging in the conversation. :)
:wink:
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:22 pm

I admit I haven't read through this thread to see if this was already addressed. Apologies if it has been.

Here in Colorado Springs, in addition to carry-out/delivery, many restaurants are selling their raw products. Like steaks, chicken, ground beef. Many of the bakeries are selling flour, sugar, and eggs because they're hard to find in the stores now. So perhaps another way restaurants can make money is doing that? One restaurant is offering a home essentials package for $40:
3 lbs chicken breasts
15 eggs
1 gallon whole milk
1 loaf bread
1 lb butter
2 lb uncooked rice
2 lb onions
2 lb red potatoes
2 lb carrots
3 rolls toilet paper

I've also seen in the past week that several restaurants are selling 'family meals' that they've created, that aren't regular menu items.

A main dish, couple of sides, salad, bread...enough to feed a family of four for a set price. Honestly, I'd rather order something like that than spend a fortune with everyone getting different menu items or ordering from various places to appease everyone.

Catering places are releasing a week's worth of family meal menus and you just need to order a day in advance so they know how much to make.

Restaurants here are now allowed to offer alcoholic to-go drinks. As long as there is not a straw in the cup and you order food with it then you can take it to go. I've been delivering margaritas with meals from several Mexican spots.

Everyone is trying to help by posting what deals and specials they find on FB groups and NextDoor.

Again, I'm not in Louisville anymore, so don't know how restaurants there are handling things and maybe they're already doing things like this. But just some ideas....good luck, all!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks, Alanna! A couple of places here are doing that - I think I saw The Table offering cut-rate food to out-of-work folks, consistent with its mission. I think at this point a lot of folks are trying to get by with curbside and delivery, but that could change.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:20 pm

Both RiverHouse and Morton's are offering groceries here! Go on line to see lists (varies by the day), but prices are very good (especially for prime aged beef at Mortons)!
Andrew Mellman
PreviousNext