Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

Re: Lucky's Market Closing

by Jerry C » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:47 pm

I have been going to Kroger for years, not because of quality or selection. but because they were the only one near me. I moved 20 months ago and there was a Kroger 1/2 mile away, so I started shopping there. Meat selection was awful, and the last chicken and steaks I bought there about 8 months ago had exactly ZERO flavor. I told myself I was never going to buy their meat again...and I have not!

There is an Aldi's about 2/10 of mile from my house so I gave them a try...just for meat and few other things at first...at least this meat had some flavor...not the best, but much better than Kroger. Over the months I find myself doing 90% of my grocery shopping at Aldi's...not near the selection (but who needs 10 different canned tomatoes), and the smaller store is much quicker to navigate!

+1 for Aldi's.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:59 pm

Leah S wrote:"Aldi have a few nice items but certainly isn't a place you can do your full weekly shopping trip at."

Aldi has MANY nice items, and we've been doing our entire weekly shopping (except for admittedly unusual items and spices) there for over 10 years. They've also committed to going fully organic. If you haven't been lately, try them again.

We to go there on a regular basis but certainly haven't found "many" nice items. The fact that they don't have any fresh meat or seafood is certainly 1 of their big downfalls in our opinion. Also, in many cases their produce is also quite limited. I'm sure you could do all of you weekly shopping there (and some people certainly do) but you would have to significantly change what you cook and how you cook to make it work.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:36 am

bruce.pierce wrote:....Kingsley for steak.
+100 !
all meats, really. we dropped in the other day for some of their "meatloaf mix" and it was a knockout! yes - - better than anything "Grandma used to make"!
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:13 am

JustinHammond wrote:Don't sleep on The Fresh Market for meat, some of the best steaks in the area.

Absolutely! I picked up some Prime rib-eyes a couple of weeks ago that were fantastic. I've never bought anything there that disappointed. Their prepared foods are usually quite good as well. Not really a place for a full shop, but I enjoy the store a lot more than Whole Foods.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:42 am

Leah S wrote:"Aldi have a few nice items but certainly isn't a place you can do your full weekly shopping trip at."

Aldi has MANY nice items, and we've been doing our entire weekly shopping (except for admittedly unusual items and spices) there for over 10 years. They've also committed to going fully organic. If you haven't been lately, try them again.

I do enjoy that Wernesgrüner Pilsner they carry. $6 six-packs are a steal.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:20 pm

Willie Myers wrote:
bruce.pierce wrote:....Kingsley for steak.
+100 !
all meats, really. we dropped in the other day for some of their "meatloaf mix" and it was a knockout! yes - - better than anything "Grandma used to make"!

Kingsley's meatloaf mix is the standard by which all else must be judged. It's been a staple in our house for over a decade.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:00 pm

Aldi does carry fresh meats. I'm vegetarian so I don't buy those, but they look comparable to any other grocery store. Their seafood is frozen. I think Aldi produce is much better than Kroger and stays fresher longer after I get it home. We've been super pleased with nearly every item we've purchased. The Indiana stores carry a quite nice Spanish wine that transports us back to a little tapas joint near a canal in Barcelona.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:28 am

RonnieD wrote:Kingsley's meatloaf mix is the standard by which all else must be judged. It's been a staple in our house for over a decade.
ahhh!, wish I'd been comin' over to your house for meatloaf for the last ten years!
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:32 pm

Aldi also delivers via Instacart, and the delivery premium is not bad.
Previous