Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

36 Hours

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

36 Hours

by SilvioM » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:48 am

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... p=cur&_r=3

Louisville will be in this popular Times feature on Sunday. Several food options are listed, all good choices. The inclusion of several places that have opened in the past year is nice, showing that the writer isn't relying on the tried and true.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: 36 Hours

by Mark R. » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:35 pm

Well it's certainly better than many of this type of article (such as thrillist which is discussed in another thread), it's still basically an article written by somebody who's not from Louisville and probably hasn't even been to Louisville. It's more reputable than many of the others as it comes from the NYT which is one of the most respected newspapers in America so more people will probably read and follow some of its suggestions. The fact that it contains discussion about some of the newer restaurants is just because the author read some of the new high particles and discussions about restaurants in town (probably quite possibly even here)
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:54 pm

Mark R. wrote:The fact that it contains discussion about some of the newer restaurants is just because the author read some of the new high particles and discussions about restaurants in town (probably quite possibly even here)

Sounds right -- they did one in 2011 that included things like the Holy Grale, Zanzabar, and Hillbilly Tea, all newish/hip then, along with Jack Fry's and a few other spots.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon May 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Mark R. wrote: The fact that it contains discussion about some of the newer restaurants is just because the author read some of the new high particles and discussions about restaurants in town (probably quite possibly even here)

Just a tad cynical???

She's a freelance writer out of Chicago, who specializes in travel (especially in the midwest), and appears in major publications (primarily the NYTimes).

I have no idea if she's been here recently or not, but (1) it wouldn't surprise me and (2) she is one writer who is known for doing her homework!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon May 02, 2016 9:57 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
Mark R. wrote: The fact that it contains discussion about some of the newer restaurants is just because the author read some of the new high particles and discussions about restaurants in town (probably quite possibly even here)

Just a tad cynical???

She's a freelance writer out of Chicago, who specializes in travel (especially in the midwest), and appears in major publications (primarily the NYTimes).

I have no idea if she's been here recently or not, but (1) it wouldn't surprise me and (2) she is one writer who is known for doing her homework!

I wasn't being cynical at all, I was just stating how the article read and it read like many others that are done by people who don't know anything about the area nor have ever been here. If you truly came here and did research for the story I applaud her for the visit but still question the list. It certainly has some good restaurants in Louisville but her list is not the top 18 restaurants in town in anybody that I knows opinion.

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon May 02, 2016 11:22 pm

"36 Hours" is NOT the top 18 restaurant article; believe you are confusing two stories.

36 Hours is written to give suggestions to New Yorker here for a brief weekend (such as Derby) to give them a flavor of Louisville. While I might have made other suggestions, on the whole I think she succeeds in her mission.

I know I have done the 36 Hour "tour" in other cities, and have been very impressed with the series ' suggestions. Actually, in the near future it's coming out as a tv series, maybe on the Travel Channel?
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon May 02, 2016 11:48 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:"36 Hours" is NOT the top 18 restaurant article; believe you are confusing two stories.

You are correct, I certainly did.

no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue May 03, 2016 7:41 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:36 Hours is written to give suggestions to New Yorker here for a brief weekend (such as Derby) to give them a flavor of Louisville. While I might have made other suggestions, on the whole I think she succeeds in her mission.

New Yorkers and certainly others. And agree completely that this was perfectly fine for the casual reader who might see our fair city only once (and hopefully not during Derby, when the city is not completely "normal").
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue May 03, 2016 7:47 am

I liked the general portrayal of the city showing the Big Four Bridge and the Parklands of Floyds Fork. The food selection will always be controversial because there are so many different places and types to choose from. As was noted above, this is in a publication that is respected. It is yet another example of unquantifiable benefits that the Derby bestows on us.
James J. Natsis