Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Liz H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Old Louisville

Re: Frustration with local food truck scene

by Liz H » Tue May 26, 2015 10:02 pm

I look forward to seeing what sort of participation you get. If no trucks use it then everyone is in the same boat of not knowing where trucks are. And while yes, it is the trucks own fault it still doesn't solve the problem. I'm inclined to think Robin's Twitter list will prove more fruitful but we shall see.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue May 26, 2015 10:40 pm

Liz H wrote:I look forward to seeing what sort of participation you get. If no trucks use it then everyone is in the same boat of not knowing where trucks are. And while yes, it is the trucks own fault it still doesn't solve the problem. I'm inclined to think Robin's Twitter list will prove more fruitful but we shall see.

The twitter list only solves the where the trucks today problem. It doesn't provide any long-term visibility for where trucks will be at a given time in the future. Having a calendar would give customers the ability to look into the future to see where a truck they're looking for will be.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Liz H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:10 pm

Old Louisville

by Liz H » Tue May 26, 2015 10:44 pm

Hopefully you guys will find a solution to your problem. Sorry I wasn't able to be more help. :)
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Tue May 26, 2015 11:04 pm

Liz H wrote:Hopefully you guys will find a solution to your problem. Sorry I wasn't able to be more help. :)

I hope they find a solution to their problem of not expanding their customer base.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 27, 2015 8:04 am

Liz H wrote:Hopefully you guys will find a solution to your problem. Sorry I wasn't able to be more help. :)

It's not all of us, Liz. I think it's a matter of expectations, and grasping the fundamental concept that one can't demand that people change a system that works for them because we want it to work better for us. :mrgreen:
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed May 27, 2015 8:06 am

First, we're really glad you enjoy food trucks!

And to try to address some of your other points -
1. There is no food truck park where food trucks can go every day, like places found in other cities. This sort of central parking area is prohibited by KAR. Therefore trucks do not know where they are going to be until they find a meter. Many/most trucks can't tell you the day before where they will be, because we're literally driving around the blocks we want to set up on and looking for an open meter. The exception to this are the larger volume trucks (with more $) who can buy first an event permit and second pay to have meters bagged for themselves.

2. The Louisville Food Truck Association was chosen to partner with the City of Jeffersonville to create a food truck park. http://www.newsandtribune.com/news/meal ... 07644.html We're ramping up and have high hopes for this to be a destination.

3. A lot of trucks are concentrating on doing festivals and events, plus catering. There's a built in crowd, and we don't have to jockey for a parking space.

4. You can always check the Louisville Food Truck Association page for postings of where our trucks are on the street. It automatically feeds to Twitter if you prefer that format. We're trying to get everyone in the habit of adding the #LFTA hashtag to make our posts searchable. It's been a learning curve.

5. To make it easy, you will always (M-F) find trucks at these three locations: 5th and Market, behind Humana Waterside, and in the Medical Center generally in the 500 block of south Preston and near the Brown Cancer Center. Trucks are adding 3rd and Main and starting to work south Fourth St., south of Chestnut.into their rotations.

6. One place to find a listing of locations simply isn't going to happen, other than a Twitter accumulator like the one Robin compiled. Not all restaurants belong to Louisville Originals, nor are all on Open table. All restaurants don't have their open and close times and menus in one central location. We're no different. The business owners will do what works best, and right now, what we're doing is working pretty well.. Follow your favorite truck on Facebook or Twitter, or go to one of the usual places where you will find a truck. Your favorite might not be there, but a new truck likely will be there.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed May 27, 2015 8:31 am

Mark R. wrote:How do I even find out about trucks like this that are always on the same place at the same day? We don't have a regular schedule so we just supposed to come upon them while driving around? Even if it's a part-time business you need to let people know where and when you are going to be someplace so they can find you!

Well, here's the standard Traveling Kitchen schedule, for what it's worth:
Monday: 4th & Main (outside Waterfront/Galt House towers)
Tuesday: Preston & Chestnut (hospital area)
Wednesday: 5th & Market (between Humana Corporate and PNC)
Thursday: Humana Waterside (Brook and Washington)
Friday: 5th & Market (between Humana Corporate and PNC)
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed May 27, 2015 8:33 am

Leah S wrote:First, we're really glad you enjoy food trucks!

And to try to address some of your other points - ...

This is great info!
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Wed May 27, 2015 10:15 am

I could make a website for this. Basically follow the food truck twitter accounts and when they post a location and time, stick it on a calendar. Then customers just log into one website and see where all the food trucks are at that time. No one has to manage the site and the food trucks don't have to log into anything to manage a schedule, they just tweet where they are.

Would anyone be interested in this?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 27, 2015 10:34 am

Jason G wrote:I could make a website for this. Basically follow the food truck twitter accounts and when they post a location and time, stick it on a calendar. Then customers just log into one website and see where all the food trucks are at that time. No one has to manage the site and the food trucks don't have to log into anything to manage a schedule, they just tweet where they are.

It sounds kind of cool, although I'm perfectly content to keep up the HotBytes twitter feed, which is strictly functional but offers a simple, real-time live stream of who's tweeting what. As above, most of them are using Twitter to announce their current landing spot, so any approach that simply captures that is going to come as close as we can get to a Canonical Listing. Yours might be prettier, though. :mrgreen:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed May 27, 2015 11:03 am

Jason G wrote:I could make a website for this. Basically follow the food truck twitter accounts and when they post a location and time, stick it on a calendar. Then customers just log into one website and see where all the food trucks are at that time. No one has to manage the site and the food trucks don't have to log into anything to manage a schedule, they just tweet where they are.

That Sounds like it would be very helpful to me and to many others.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Wed May 27, 2015 11:35 am

Robin Garr wrote:

It sounds kind of cool, although I'm perfectly content to keep up the HotBytes twitter feed, which is strictly functional but offers a simple, real-time live stream of who's tweeting what. As above, most of them are using Twitter to announce their current landing spot, so any approach that simply captures that is going to come as close as we can get to a Canonical Listing. Yours might be prettier, though. :mrgreen:

I just don't think twitter is ideal way to visualize where something is if you are trying to find where/when a food truck will be somewhere. The data would be much more understandable on a calendar or a map. What would be REALLY cool is if they add location data to the tweet, you could aggregate them all onto a map so that the user checks the webpage and just sees in real time if one is near.

Also might make it easier for the trucks to announce a schedule if they could just tweet time/day/location.

I may give this a shot just as an experiment. I'll post back here if i can get it working.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 27, 2015 1:07 pm

Jason G wrote: I'll post back here if i can get it working.

Great! Kindly do!
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed May 27, 2015 3:30 pm

Will you somehow scrape the content of the tweet for time info, or just go by the timestamp of the tweet? I ask because trucks will often post a day or two in advance announcing where they'll be at some later date.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Wed May 27, 2015 3:40 pm

Good Luck in getting ALL the food trucks to post a tweet.

Best thing to do is get their business card. Add to contacts. Send a message to your favorite 2-3 and ask where they are. Usually they will respond with location. Drive to location. NOM NOM NOM.

Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
PreviousNext