Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

lunch recommendations

by Adam C » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Hello, everyone.. I am constantly finding myself searching for lunch options and I would love a place to hang my hat during this time. Not too fancy (I love "meat and three" type places, casual, blue collar, etc) but serving alcohol (sometimes I like a beer with lunch) is a plus. My usual go to is Webb's Market for the steam table (which I like, but it has to be carry out) but I am looking for other casual spots in the downtown, highlands, crescent hill, wherever areas. Has anyone had a killer lunch experience or is anyone a regular at a spot they would like to recommend? Baxter Station used to be great for this (RIP). Thank you!
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Re: lunch recommendations

by Kris Billiter » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:47 pm

It's definitley not a meat and three but Fernando's new place on Floyd, Coconut Beach might fit the bill. Great, food, quick in and out, and a bar.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Meat and three is kind of tough in the trendy zones. But Bluegrass Burgers (Frankfort at Cannons) is fine for lunch. So's Coals pizza. Moving in toward town, Eggs Over Frankfort, El Mundo, Caffe Classico (only later in the week). On Bardstown, Stevens & Stevens comes quickly to mind. Is Roux doing lunch yet? Uptown has a classy lunch, I think. Farther in, is Bunz still good? Wasabiya lost my affection for serving me nasty old fish on a Tuesday, something a sushi bar should never do, but that's been years, and I should probably give them a chance to repent. They might poison my food if they recognize me, though.

NuLu? I miss Taco Punk already, but Mayan Cafe should fill that gap. Really, any of the NuLu standards that are open should be fine. Moving in, Wild Rita's? Against The Grain? Closer to downtown you've got Doc Crows and all the places around the Yum. Hillbilly Tea! Has Atlantic No. 5 gone through its identity transplant yet?

Anyway, lots of ideas here, and I'm sure I've missed a ton.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Dang, I have never been to Hillbilly Tea... Need to fix that! Anything I MUST try?

I miss the old Cunninghams on 5th and Breck (my dad was a regular there), Baxter Station.. blue collar lunch spots where it is consistent and no frills. Webb's Market is great for this (under 7 bucks for a meat and two sides). When I am going to lunch (and this will sound weird) I don't want to think about it much just go to the spot I know is going to have what I need (good food). I am not looking for much of an experience unless I can acquire some new bad jokes haha. And under 20$. Spending more than that for lunch is, in my opinion, kind of silly.

El Mundo is open for lunch? I didn't know that. I really wish the Twig and Leaf would acquire someone or some sort of rejuvenated spirit and become edible and hospitable again. Like a total overhaul. It would be perfect. But oh well. Thanks for the recs though!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Forgot about Jackknife Cafe in that multi-use semi-high-rise on Story. A little too hip for meat and three, but definitely lunchy. Or you could shoot out to Germantown for some Come Back Inn or some Eiderdown. (Wait, not sure it's open for lunch.)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:00 pm

Or the Cafe on Brent! They do good work.

Or hammer it down to 42 and the Watterson and pay Bill and Susi a visit at Shady Lane Cafe. A bit of the haul, but you won't get a better lunch. :)
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:21 pm

User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:34 pm

How about Check's? Pretty blue collar and they usually have a couple of "meat and two sides" specials every day in addition to a nice sammy selection.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Speaking of Check's, Cottage Inn at Eastern Parkway and Bradley can do a meat-and-two-style lunch, I'm sure. Or order a main and order two veggies, anyway. I'm not sure "meat-and-three" in its original sense has ever been much of a Thing in Louisville, but you can make it happen at the right places.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Also, Toast on Market Louisville or New Albany ...
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:38 pm

Cravings, the cafeteria in the basement of the National City tower at 5th & Main, for your meat and three.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Wild Eggs on Floyd also has a nice lunch, and there's nearly always a food truck at 5th and Market.
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:37 am

If you hurry, you can try Gavi's downtown on 7th between Market and Jefferson. They're closing 12/31/2014 after 33 years in business. Daily lunch specials with a list of vegetables and homemade soups. Also burgers, gyros, sandwiches and pizza.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

by Lisa Stephenson » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:06 am

You have basically described the Coach Lamp!
751 Vine St
no avatar
User

KyleSkaggs

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:08 pm

by KyleSkaggs » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:08 pm

Highlands Taproom
Next